• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels moving to Tustin?

HBMike

Maybe they can send the blimp hangar to Oregon they took the Spruce Goose didn't they? Think it will fit right in sitting next to the Goose.

When the Angels do reach an agreement and stay in Anaheim they can build a new stadium close to the current location and then implode the old one. I want something as a memory from it first in the form of a seat or a piece of beer soaked cement.

I love the idea of either a new stadium or huge renovations to the stadium and surrounding areas at the current location. Angels' stadium is boring. It is old and run-down and offers nothing new that many other parks offer. 

It would be awesome to have a feel like San Francisco or San Diego in which there is a ton to do around the ballpark and actual places to go to eat/drink before the game without having to drive. This can be done with the parking lot development plan as well as a major face lift to the stadium. 

The old dumpy stadium in Anaheim is good enough IMO.  I walk in, get a couple of dogs, go to my seat and watch the game.  Whatever "improvements" are made probably wouldn't affect my experience very much, unless they change the color of the grass.

I can see how some people who work at the stadium every day, media folks etc. might appreciate an updated facility but I'm not in that category.  To me all that really matters is what happens on the field.

I wouldn't be surprised if they end up with a new stadium. It is going to cost quite a bit to do necessary improvements to the current one, and they will need more improvements or a new stadium eventually. It may be "fine" for most fans, but many of the problems aren't very evident if you go to an occasional game.  The stadium is ok, for the most part... nothing about it keeps me from going to games... but other stadiums are so much better.  I'd welcome a new stadium, even if it means a different location that isn't quite as accessible.

Doesn't matter how new the stadium is, if the team plays poorly the attendance will suffer.  The last few years Angels attendance has been on the decline but it's not because of the stadium, it's because they are a third-place team.

Considering that Tustin is only 10 miles from Anaheim, making the team not significantly different than now in terms of accessibility, I would think Angels fans would love the idea of a new ballpark (and new revenue).

Angel Stadium is getting kind of dumpy.

Travel around the majors at some of the new parks and you'll like Angel Stadium even less.

Plus the most recent renovation at $100 million is already some 16 years old.   Getting the money's worth is pretty much already accomplished.

FOURTH oldest MLB stadium = time to get ready to move on up!

Fenway Park (1912)

Wrigley Field (1917)

Chavez Latrine (1962)

Angel Stadium (1966)

Overstock.com (1967)

Guess which is 6th oldest?    Yep, Kauffman Stadium (1973).   Seems like it was built just the other day.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Yep, Kauffman Stadium (1973).   Seems like it was built just the other day.

Yet after the $250 million renovations to Kauffman stadium it is beautiful and easily competes with the new stadiums and surpasses most of them. It would certainly be the reference point if the stadium is going to be remodeled. 

Old Skankee Stadium did last another 33 seasons after that 1974-1975 renovation (2 years spent at Shea).

Too bad Angel Stadium couldn't have undergone something similar to the Kauffman Stadium renovation.

Total cost of the 1996-1997 Angel Stadium renovation was 40% of Kauffman Stadium's renovation cost, granted Kauffman's was a decade after the Angel Stadium renovation and thus the higher costs partially being through labor/materials cost increases.  

Everything should be put on a ballot.

Should the city sell bonds to fund construction of a new baseball stadium on the existing property?  YES or NO

Should the city lease out the stadium parking lot for $1 per year for 66 years for development?  YES or NO

Should the city sell the stadium parking lot for development?  YES or NO

I think in a ballot, the answer to the first 2 would be a resounding no.  Third one would depend on how much public funding was required.  

I just don't think a city, outside of a city the size of Los Angeles, can afford to foot the build for a stadium.  Which then brings the Atlanta situation.  The Braves new stadium isn't footed by a city.  It's by a county, Cobb county.  

This might be one of those situations where the Angels might be better off trying to get Los Angeles, Orange, and San Bernardino counties involved.  Looking at the map SB County comes east through Ontario and as far south as Chino.  

I think in a ballot, the answer to the first 2 would be a resounding no.  Third one would depend on how much public funding was required.  

I just don't think a city, outside of a city the size of Los Angeles, can afford to foot the build for a stadium.  Which then brings the Atlanta situation.  The Braves new stadium isn't footed by a city.  It's by a county, Cobb county.  

This might be one of those situations where the Angels might be better off trying to get Los Angeles, Orange, and San Bernardino counties involved.  Looking at the map SB County comes east through Ontario and as far south as Chino.  

If you're trying to get buy in from SB and LA counties, then the stadium would have to be centrally located and Irvine would not be make sense.  It's too far south in OC.

The City of Industry would be close enough to both OC and SB counties to possibly work and the land is available.

The ploy....

It's a negotiating chip. Arte will use a proposal from City of Tustin or some other city or county for their negotiations with the COA. This is a complete ruse to scare the COA residents into believing that they could lose their Angels if they don't support the land giveaway plan. This also takes the heat off of the COA City Council who are worried about future re-election bids. It's politics.... 

Anaheim is the only city that will allow Arte Moreno complete control over any stadium and or real estate deal. The City of Industry offered to deal with the Angels in 2012 but Billionaire Ed Roski wasn't going to just give Arte complete control of the land.  

Play Ball !!!

Angel Oracle makes a good point with his comparisons -- the major renovation of Angel Stadium (the one Disney financed) seems like it was just yesterday but its been some 16 years.

There's been all these new ballparks built along the likes of AT&T (was Pac Bell), Petco, Miller, of course Camden Yards, the ballparks in Pittsburgh and Cincinnati and suddenly you look up and besides classic Wrigley Field and Fenway Park, the oldest parks in MLB are Los Angeles and Anaheim.

(well, Oakland doesn't count, there hasn't been a 'baseball park' up there since the Raiders 'renovated' the Oakland Coliseum where the A's are being held captive).

A new ball park for the Angels would be nice -- not that familiar with the Tustin site and as whether that would work or not.......

The best place for the Angels from a financial stand-point and a financing the park stand-point would be downtown Los Angeles......but with the Dodgers complaining about it and, perhaps, contemplating their own options for a move there -- I don't see it happening.

The Dodgers current ownership has a real incentive to move downtown (in addition to financial) -- if they can spin off the Chavez Ravine property and either turn into an NFL park (unlikely but possible, I guess) or some other hotel, housing, condo, retail shops development -- they can make money off that while removing McCourt from being any part of the Dodgers -- as it is now -- McCourt still has some ownership interest in the parking lot and surrounding real estate and I am sure the current Dodgers ownership wouldn't mind separating McCourt even further away from anything connected with the team.........

Realistically, logically, financially -- the Angels need to cut the best deal they can for Angel Stadium -- while a new park would be very nice -- the reality is the financial return for new park would be a very long term proposition and the best short term move (20 years) is to stay put.

The demographics of the Anaheim Stadium site have gotten better since the ballyard was first built -- the real challenge for the Angels right now is to continue to claim the growing INLAND EMPIRE to identify as loyal Halos fans........the park is a fairly quick run (depends on time of day) down the 57 -- and I think the 2002 and then Arte's Angels were winning that INLAND EMPIRE battle with McCourt's Dodgers -- but loyalty can be fickle and few bad Halos years coupled with a pretty competitive team at Chavez Ravine could tip the scale back the other way.

New stadium or not it needs to be in Anaheim - moving is ridiculous and I truly believe the talking to Tustin thing is just a negotiating move .

Either do the renovations or build the new stadium next to the old one like the Mets did with Citi Field basically only trading out where the parking lot is .

Also winning cures all - let's focus on putting a winning team on the field long term - hopefully this gets resolved quickly ( it won't) and all focus can be on baseball.

Everyone that complains that Angel stadium is old and outdated won't care if we watch a world series or two in the old and outdated stadium

Edited by vlad27