• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels moving to Tustin?

HBMike

You haven't read what the Angels are asking the CoA for did you?  I can see why the Mayor is opposed to it.  It brings ZERO money to the CoA.  just like right now, the CoA gets zero money.

http://www.fieldofschemes.com/category/mlb/los-angeles-angels-of-anaheim/

At the heart of negotiations is the $130 million to $150 million in stadium renovations the Angels are obligated to perform over the next 20 years under the current lease. In the city’s effort to help the team defray those costs – and to ensure the team stays in town for the immediate future – city staff has proposed letting Moreno develop 128 city-owned acres surrounding the stadium.

Moreno would pay the city $1 per year for the land under the draft terms. The proposal, which appears far from finalization, also would rebate to Moreno all city taxes generated by the new development…

The council is awaiting an appraisal of the land, but estimates have run as high as $380 million. 

Edited by Inside Pitch

ZERO money?

Anaheim doesn't get sales tax from the sales of items at the ballpark?

I assume the Angels pay some sort of occupancy tax ?

Also, isn't the situation that the City Council has already approved a proposal that may be acceptable to the Angels but the Mayor and others oppose it (for the reasons you cite)?

I don't think the current situation is that the City of Anaheim gets no financial benefit from the Angels being a tenant at Angel Stadium even if it's no rent situation for the Stadium use.

Sure the City can look to additional revenue that they could generate by charging rent and insisting on a percentage share of either ticket sales or parking -- that's he way some government folks think --- look at only the additional revenue side -- what they sometimes miss is what happens to EXISTING revenue and benefits if the team leaves the city.

If the Angels leave Anaheim, there would certainly be a loss a revenue -- there would also be a significant adverse public relations fallout from being the city that LOST the ANGELS (and the Rams).

But, hey, if the City wants to try to squeeze more revenue out of Arte and the Angels  -- a relationship that is already somewhat frosty -- that's their prerogative -- just make sure the Mayor and City Officials responsible agree to be the ones to step up and explain why the Angels left (are leaving) Anaheim when the time comes.....

I don't think Arte is a guy to play chicken with -- but the City's tangled with him before........how did that work out again?

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/team-593349-million-city.html

You should read that.  Apparently the mods don't want you to read it, since it keeps getting deleted.  If you think Sales Tax revenue is the way to go, then Disney already won.  They would bring in much more revenue to the city, by redeveloping what they want next to Disneyland and using the stadium property as parking.  Property taxes, which most, if not all, cities rely on for their main source of revenue, the CoA would get none of.  

So go ahead.  Spout that Irvine is a better option.  Pretty soon the Padres will be called the Los Angeles Padres because it brings in so much more revenue.

You should read that.  Apparently the mods don't want you to read it, since it keeps getting deleted.  If you think Sales Tax revenue is the way to go, then Disney already won.  They would bring in much more revenue to the city, by redeveloping what they want next to Disneyland and using the stadium property as parking.  Property taxes, which most, if not all, cities rely on for their main source of revenue, the CoA would get none of.  

So go ahead.  Spout that Irvine is a better option.  Pretty soon the Padres will be called the Los Angeles Padres because it brings in so much more revenue.

That's a solid article albeit it misrepresents some things -- namely that the Angels are obligated to do anything other than maintain the stadium..  Really, the appraisal will settle a lot of the BS, once that's in the two parties can talk potential returns much more acurately.

GB, stop lying.  You aren't being censored.  Geez.  Good grief you act like this is life and death and the man is trying to keep you down.

The spin job to try to paint Moreno out as some money grubbing dick is pretty funny.

I'm pretty sure you don't get to be a billionaire without being a money grubbing dick. That aside, the counter-spin job painting him as some kind of put-upon philanthropist is equally ludicrous.

Tustin has a population of 80k. I'm not really sure  they're going to have the tax base it would take to subsidize a stadium.

I'm pretty sure you don't get to be a billionaire without being a money grubbing dick. That aside, the counter-spin job painting him as some kind of put-upon philanthropist is equally ludicrous.

Tustin has a population of 80k. I'm not really sure  they're going to have the tax base it would take to subsidize a stadium.

Nobody is painting him as some kind of philanthropist.  Nice strawman though.  Of course he's trying to make money.  

Just move the team to LA Live. About time us Halo fans not in Orange County get some love.  :P

I don't know if they can pass the environmentals/traffic in that area.  NFL stadium barely passed.

Of areas in LA.  Chinatown by Union Station would be intriguing, or even by Chinatown station.  If you can buy the plots east of J Town, that is another possibility.  And the area near the old Sears Building.  I'm not sure what it is, but looking at Google ariel view, near olympic and santa fe.  There looks to be a huge plot, right by the train maintenance center.  Then again, the LA Times printing facility.  Just as large as the Convention Center.  

What MT said...   

BTW, Moreno can build his own stadium so long as someone is willing to work with him on the land.  Tustin has the real estate.

Edited by Inside Pitch

At some point people will realize that the COA made the offer then Joe Public got wind of it and and marched on City Hall with pitchforks and torches demanding the big bad rich guy not get anything.

The spin job to try to paint Moreno out as some money grubbing dick is pretty funny.

I don't know about Arte being "money grubbing dick" here, but I have a hard time faulting the COA for wanting to change their minds on the ridiculously sweetheart deal they offered in the first place.

It's about time a city went that route instead of getting bent over backwards on one of these stadium deals.

I don't know about Arte being "money grubbing dick" here, but I have a hard time faulting the COA for wanting to change their minds on the ridiculously sweetheart deal they offered in the first place.

It's about time a city went that route instead of getting bent over backwards on one of these stadium deals.

Meh -- if the COA and Disney have something in the works, more power to them.  But they knew the cost of doing business and what the industry standards are when it comes to these lease arrangements, they aren't being bent over by any stretch.   The COA chose to make that initial offer because it's to their benefit and their motivation was keeping the team in Anaheim so as to hold on to the "value": and "prestige" that comes along with being associated with a MLB team.  Those were their arguments during the name change, their choice of words.   I would imagine a team leaving for another city would be a significantly larger blow to their "prestige."  

This whole dog and pony show right now is all about saving face with the general public.  If they have to paint the Angels out as the bad guys they will.   IMO, both sides are posturing and nothing is going to move forward until after that appraisal comes in.

Edited by Inside Pitch

No!!!! Not the District!!! I live right by there and won't go there unless I have too and that's without any stadium crowds. On a normal Saturday or Sunday during shopping hours it takes 15 minutes to get out of their parking lot. They have to have traffic people direct traffic to even get it at that level. I have never seen a worse designed shopping center. The Block and Spectrum are so much better designed and they are 10-15 years older.