• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Off season targets

Troll Daddy

I was the one who tossed out the idea of getting a leadoff hitter. Scotty is just building on that.

I'm a big Calhoun fan, no doubt about that. But, he'd be far more valuable as our #2 hitter than leading off (if we can get a good leadoff hitter). Trout would be far more valuable as our #3 hitter, and Pujols as the cleanup hitter. It's not a knock on Calhoun, it's about getting the most value and production from each person in the lineup. I will be honest, I don't know who is out there that we can get who would be a better leadoff hitter, but, I do believe that adding one would make the lineup better.

In my first interview with Dipoto, he did talk about wanting to have a "layered" approach to ages on the team so that there is a constant mix of veterans and youth in the clubhouse to create a rolling cycle of players on the team. There is a dearth in layers in the lineup, so I can see something being done there, if possible. 

We won 98 games last year, and that was with the bullpen early on being in shambles. It is not any more. I don't see major moves, but I could see Cron being traded (power is becoming a commodity that can bring back some pitching). I sure hope that Hamilton figures out whatever it was that was missing and gets healthy this offseason. I don't think he can be moved, so, I'd rather see him getting back to what made him worthy of such a contract.

Exactly, lengthen the lineup and move everyone down a spot. Kole's power drives in more runs and if he can increase his OBP back to the .340 range (which he's completely capable of), that's just gravy with Trout and Pujols slugging behind him. Would love to see a leadoff guy with a high OBP and some speed along with another thumper to hit behind Pujols and have Hamilton hit 6th or 7th. Another thing to consider is replacing Kendrick, Freese, and Iannetta next offseason. That's why a guy like Fernandez would make sense to me. He gives the team a new long term second baseman, lengthens the lineup, allows the team to shop Howie for a starter, and shortens the offseason shopping list to a third baseman and catcher (which will already be difficult enough to replace when you look at the 2016 FA list). The options then? At catcher the list includes Avila, Iannetta, Jaso, Kottaras, Molina (Jose), Navarro, Pena, and Wieters. Third? Arias, Beltre (vesting option), Bloomquist, Frandsen, Freese, Herrera, Izturis (club option), Kelly, Keppinger, Kouzmanoff, McGehee, Murphy, Sean Rodriguez, Rosales, and Uribe. 

when you win 78 games because you are all offense and no pitching, you can trade a fan favorite from your offense to get pitching.

when you win 98 games and get insta booted from the playoffs, don't expect much player movement unless you are losing guys to free agency.

The front office is going to ask themselves which of those seasons was more likely a fluke and I can guarantee that the'll think the existing crew can repeat what they just did with some minor improvements.  

So while wanting to get younger is certainly a proper goal, it's unrealistic to think that they are going to move any of the actually moveable players.

Howie and Erick would be the primary targets for other teams but it's not like these guys are old.  

finding the sweet spot in trading away a guy with an expiring contract who is soon to decline and on the wrong side of 30 is a dangerous game.  One you don't play coming off a 98 win season.  

The lack of youth on this team is in the form of bench players and untradeable contracts.  Pujols, Hamilton, Ibanez, McDonald, Wilson.

Two of those guys are gone.  Two are virtually not tradeable and Wilson had a 2nd half meltdown that pretty much made him worth less on the trade market than to the current team.  

The rest are of reasonable ages to expect years similar to the previous.  With a little help on the SP side, the window of opportunity is still open and could be for at least a couple of years if you play your cards right.  

You also have Mike Trout.  You have six more years of his services, so it's unlikely that you are going to make some sort of rebuild any time soon.  

I think we'll see much of the team remain intact until the ASB and if you aren't in it, then guys like Howie, Street, Ianetta, can be moved for parts.  2016, wash rinse repeat with Smith, Aybar, Weaver, Wilson Salas, Jepsen. 

There is potential for a decent amount of turnover, but it's gonna happen over the course of the next 2 season and not this winter.  

when you win 78 games because you are all offense and no pitching, you can trade a fan favorite from your offense to get pitching.

when you win 98 games and get insta booted from the playoffs, don't expect much player movement unless you are losing guys to free agency.

The front office is going to ask themselves which of those seasons was more likely a fluke and I can guarantee that the'll think the existing crew can repeat what they just did with some minor improvements.

So while wanting to get younger is certainly a proper goal, it's unrealistic to think that they are going to move any of the actually moveable players.

Howie and Erick would be the primary targets for other teams but it's not like these guys are old.

finding the sweet spot in trading away a guy with an expiring contract who is soon to decline and on the wrong side of 30 is a dangerous game. One you don't play coming off a 98 win season.

The lack of youth on this team is in the form of bench players and untradeable contracts. Pujols, Hamilton, Ibanez, McDonald, Wilson.

Two of those guys are gone. Two are virtually not tradeable and Wilson had a 2nd half meltdown that pretty much made him worth less on the trade market than to the current team.

The rest are of reasonable ages to expect years similar to the previous. With a little help on the SP side, the window of opportunity is still open and could be for at least a couple of years if you play your cards right.

You also have Mike Trout. You have six more years of his services, so it's unlikely that you are going to make some sort of rebuild any time soon.

I think we'll see much of the team remain intact until the ASB and if you aren't in it, then guys like Howie, Street, Ianetta, can be moved for parts. 2016, wash rinse repeat with Smith, Aybar, Weaver, Wilson Salas, Jepsen.

There is potential for a decent amount of turnover, but it's gonna happen over the course of the next 2 season and not this winter.

Bingo!

Im okay with Aybar being an Angel SS for life, provided he doesnt decline anytime soon.  As much as I wanted Kendrick gone I dont think hes worth anything in the trade market.

I can see the Angels extending Aybar an extra year or 2, assuming he wants to be here. Until the Angels have a viable replacement(Eric Stamets is not starting material in the majors), I have no issue with the Angels holding onto Aybar. 

If we still had Rondon, I would feel a little different about this. 

This Angels team wasn't as good as their win total. The bullpen seemed shaky at the beginning of the year. The offense had long lulls. They finished the season with just 4 starters. They were exposed in the playoffs. This is not a team that should sit on its laurels, because there are no laurels. No one is saying to blow up the team. However, it has been said many times in this thread that there is no replacement for Aybar. That's a huge problem, isn't it? It's not a problem NOW, but it is looming. Angels need to trade some veterans to acquire some young guys who will be able to contribute in a few years. Likely candidate is Kendrick. It sucks to lose Howie, but you have to give to get. Anyone over age 25 should be a candidate for trade if the right trade comes up. Anyone under 25 should be kept if possible. 

Key point worth repeating: FOR THE RIGHT TRADE

Edited by dimitrig

The Angels aren't trading these guys when they're in a win now type of mode. Any replacements for these guys are most likely going to be found through the draft. 

Trading guys like Aybar and Kendrick drop this team from a low to mid 90's win team to a borderline WC contender. Are Arte and company going to take that chance just to get "younger"? Absolutely not. 

I get where people are coming from in regards to wanting to shed payroll and gain some prospects. The issue is the Angels are in a great spot to win now and they don't have moveable assets that they can afford to lose. Trading Howie, Aybar, Iannetta just creates holes for next years' team. If the Angels are out of it for some weird reason at the break, then I'm fine with trading guys away.

Angels fans should be hoping for Ric Wilson and his staff to draft really well and for the Angels to hit the international market during the next few years. The Angels should be able to contend for the next 2-3 years(Thanks Mike Trout) so developing the system in that time for the next great Angels team is crucial.

I guess my point is: Don't just trade guys so we can get prospects back. Aybar has no replacement. Howie's replacements are starting material(yet). Trading Iannetta won't get you much and he's a nice fit for this offense. Freese won't get much in return. Wilson, Hamilton and Pujols aren't realistic trade pieces. 

I think if I were the Angels, and am as impressed by Mulder's workout as I was last year, then I'd sign him as a no-cost possibility for the rotation (signed for 1-2 million.)

If they also went out and landed a Jake Peavy, as they probably can and just remain under the luxury tax.

Weav, Richards, Shoe, Peavy, Rasmus, Wilson and Mulder seems like a pretty solid group. It'd be nice to go into the season 7 deep like that.

It also sets the Angels up well for the future if Rasmus can stick in the rotation. Richards, Skaggs, Shoe and our top draft pick Newcomb makes for a young, inexpensive and very dynamic group of pitchers.

It's a shame we traded Trumbo. He was a fan favorite. Trade looked good at the time but now I have my doubts.

Nelson Cruz would be nice.

Say what?

Trumbo was awful this year(plus hurt). 

While Skaggs' TJ surgery sets him back until 2016, he was roughly a league average starter this year as a 22 year old. I'll take the 4+ years of an average/above average starter over a slightly above average DH any day. 

Plus, Hector Santiago isn't worth nothing and has some value as a swingman/5th starter.