• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Off season targets

Troll Daddy

I'd love to sign Lester, but I think he ultimately gives Oakland the finger and goes back to Boston. Cubs are a dark horse candidate there. The Yanks aren't going to let McCarthy get away, and theyre going to sign that Japanese dude too. Shields will re-up with the Royals, and I have a feeling Scherzer is going to end up in the NL. So.... Peavy??

Sign Brandon McCarthy on a 2 year/25 million dollar deal with an option and I'll be pretty happy. 

I wanted the Angels to grab him at the ASB this season and his performance with the Yankees was fantastic. If the price is right, just like with anybody, I would love to get him. 

Obviously injuries are a concern but he finally had a fully healthy season in 2014. Even 150 innings from him is very valuable. 

If McCarthy is too much, sign Masterson on a 1 year deal and look into signing Andrew Miller. 

If they do sign an over the hill LH bat to DH. Please Jerry, make sure it's not someone who can play the outfield!!! Otherwise, with Hamilton's injury history, Sosh will keep up his tradition of throwing crap like Matsui, Ibanez, Abreu, etc... out in LF. Those guys gave up more runs misplaying routine flyballs and lobbing throws in than they could ever have possibly produced with the bat, just so Mike could keep his beloved platoons alive.

If the Blue Jays don't pick up Adam Lind's option, be all over him. Hell, trade off a spare part! Jays are desperate for any relief help they can find. Dude is only 31, wouldn't break the budget, totally rakes against RHP and with RISP and is used to DHing and being platooned. Plus, he hasn't played the outfield since 2010!

Here's a thought as to what I want, but I'm not sure who would best fit the bill. So, I'll post the idea out there and see what you guys can come up with to fit the bill. If I could get anything, I'd want a true leadoff hitter with speed so that we can drop everyone down 1 spot in the lineup. That would make the offense work a lot better. My second target would be a DH type, preferably one who could backup 1B occasionally. That way we could trade Cron for a younger starting pitcher. While I like Cron, and like what he brings to the team, we will need another starter. Unless we can get Lester (who won't cost us a draft pick), we're going to need to find a way to get another starter. I'd rather keep Kendrick and trade Cron at this point.

Here's a thought as to what I want, but I'm not sure who would best fit the bill. So, I'll post the idea out there and see what you guys can come up with to fit the bill. If I could get anything, I'd want a true leadoff hitter with speed so that we can drop everyone down 1 spot in the lineup. That would make the offense work a lot better. My second target would be a DH type, preferably one who could backup 1B occasionally. That way we could trade Cron for a younger starting pitcher. While I like Cron, and like what he brings to the team, we will need another starter. Unless we can get Lester (who won't cost us a draft pick), we're going to need to find a way to get another starter. I'd rather keep Kendrick and trade Cron at this point.

I'm not sure Cron would get us more than a middling prospect. Although that's not necessarily bad (if we can sign a DH/1B type like Morse, whom I suggested above).

While I like the idea of getting a Chone Figgins-like leadoff guy, I'm not sure we'd want any of them who'd be available (aka Ben Revere).

I will add that the Blue Jays are still looking for a second baseman, so if we COULD get Aaron Sanchez (for example) for Howie, I'd be ok with that.

Edited by Mark68

Just make sure when we sign the next Matsui that they hit in the first half. His offensive production only occurred after the Angels were out of the race.

April:  .273/.350/.477-822

May:  .184/.258/.299-557

June:  .318/.400/.489-889

July:  .228/.311/.405-716

August:  .304/.417/.522-939

September:  .352/.446/.592-1038

Looks like he had only 2 bad months.  How many would take this 36 year old's production from Hamilton and/or Pujols

Edited by maximus p

Signing Lester Shields or Scherzer will haunt us much like the Yankees are haunted by the Sabathia deal.

You def. would not see a top-flight org like the Giants or Cardinals go and sign one of those guys. 

Sabathia put the Yanks over the top and won a title. How haunting.

martin's going to want way too much money for a guy with his age and injury history...

please, please no more old guys

As solid of an on field leader as he is, his hitting in 2014 could well land him a big contract which would be nuts for a 32/33 year-old.

I still think he could be a Bob Boone like leader on a team, but not at the expected salary he may get.