• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Off season targets

Troll Daddy

Padres are heavily expected to deal a SP this winter for a bat. They have Cashner, Ross, Hahn, Kennedy as 4 legit mid-front of the rotation SP and a plethora of arms suited for the 5th spot.

Eat most of Hamilton's contract and include Cron and we could probably get Hahn. Gotta figure Ham and Cron would bring the offense SD would need and Hahn would do wonders for the future of the rotation.

After that, we may have a bit more to spend. Go after a DH and or leadoff LF.

Lots of DH options. Hart, Reynolds, Morales, Morse are all available. 

If they don't think Cron is ready to take on the full time role, one of those guys may be solid signs. 

Cron is not ready for full time role.  At least not if we expect Hamilton to be a bottom order batter instead of a middle order.

You don't win the division by a huge margin ... then go trade one of your biggest invesfments after a injury plagued season. I'll go out on a limb and say Hamilton will be a Angel next season.

I sheik at the thought of trading Kendrick. Although, you would still have to shop him and see what's available by trade.

I think the team is fine with Freese. He'll start next season is my guess.

I'm ok with the catching situation but open to improvement.

Need LH relief pitcher and a back end veteran starter.

Not sure how much the Angels can realistically do...assuming they don't want to go over the luxury tax. They won't have much to spend.

I would hate to see the Angels move a player like Kendrick to create flexibility. Talk about a massive downgrade whoever replaces him.

Edited by Angels

I'll give you what I was told: "we are constantly assessing where we are and where we want to be and that "we'll see" if Hamilton is there on opening day." I was also told that both Scioscia and Dipoto are keen on the idea of acquiring a leadoff hitter and shuffling the lineup.

Little birdie told you this?

Not really. Only two of the players you listed are guaranteed to be with the club for 3 years or longer: Pujols and Hamilton. And they're unmovable.

Iannetta, Kendrick and Freese will be free agents after 2015. Aybar is signed through 2016 and I wouldn't mind seeing him extended, actually.

Not really. Only two of the players you listed are guaranteed to be with the club for 3 years or longer: Pujols and Hamilton. And they're unmovable.

Iannetta, Kendrick and Freese will be free agents after 2015. Aybar is signed through 2016 and I wouldn't mind seeing him extended, actually.

You can still get some value in return at this point in their careers. 

But why would the Angels trade them, though? And who exactly would they replace them with? You can't move Kendrick, Aybar, Iannetta, or even Freese without expecting a massive downgrade whoever replaces them. That would weaken the team. They were huge reasons why the Angels were so good this year.

Aybar had the highest WAR in the AL among shortstops. Kendrick was also one of the very best at his position. Freese was serviceable. Beckham would be a huge downgrade. And Green is someone I don't see as a starting player. Iannetta? Solid job.

But why would the Angels trade them, though? And who exactly would they replace them with? You can't move Kendrick, Aybar, Iannetta, or even Freese without expecting a massive downgrade whoever replaces them. That would weaken the team. They were huge reasons why the Angels were so good this year.

Aybar had the highest WAR in the AL among shortstops. Kendrick was also one of the very best at his position. Freese was serviceable. Beckham would be a huge downgrade. And Green is someone I don't see as a starting player. Iannetta? Solid job.

Because no team since the 2001 Arizona Diamondbacks has won a championship with an all 30+ year old infield.

But remember that 33 year old Luis Gonzalez hit .325 / 57hrs / 142rbi's / 1.117ops that season.

Do we have anyone on our team that can do that today?

I'll give you what I was told: "we are constantly assessing where we are and where we want to be and that "we'll see" if Hamilton is there on opening day." I was also told that both Scioscia and Dipoto are keen on the idea of acquiring a leadoff hitter and shuffling the lineup.

What? Please tell me who the Angels could acquire that would be better than Calhoun.

That's an insignificant piece of information. 2 of the 4 players (Kendrick and Aybar) on the Angels in the IF were some of the best at their positions this year and are consistently good every year. Pujols is above average (top-4 WAR this year in AL among 1B) despite being a shell of his former self. Freese was serviceable. The Angels infield was awesome. They were a big reason why they were so good this year.

How many teams even had an all 30+ IF since 2001? And as good as the Angels one? Would it make you feel better if Freese got moved and someone like Green or Beckham took over? Hey, they wouldn't have a 30+ IF anymore. They may get worse.. but younger. I guess that move would improve their odds in the postseason?

Edited by Angels

That's an insignificant piece of information. 2 of the 4 players (Kendrick and Aybar) on the Angels in the IF were some of the best at their positions this year and are consistently good every year. Pujols is above average (top-4 WAR this year in AL among 1B) despite being a shell of his former self. Freese was serviceable. The Angels infield was awesome. They were a big reason why they were so good this year.

How many teams even had an all 30+ IF since 2001? And as good as the Angels one? Would if make you feel better if Freese got moved and someone like Green took over? Hey, they wouldn't have a 30+ IF anymore. They may get worse but younger. I guess that move will improve their odds in the postseason?

What dimitrig said. 

Not really. You only make trades if they make sense.

Do the Angels have someone ready and capable enough to replace Aybar? How about Kendrick? Iannetta? Freese? Do they have a good farm system with excellent and ML ready prospects that I'm not aware of? These guys are cheap also and bargains. Not like they're killing the payroll.

So, who replaces them? Keep in mind that the Angels are trying to win (and have a team good enough as it stands to do just that)

How many teams even had an all 30+ IF since 2001? And as good as the Angels one? Would it make you feel better if Freese got moved and someone like Green or Beckham took over? Hey, they wouldn't have a 30+ IF anymore. They may get worse.. but younger. I guess that move would improve their odds in the postseason?

The infield has to get younger. Just look at the two World Series participants this season. 

KC Perez C 24

KC Hosmer 1B 24

KC Escobar SS 27

KC Moustakas 3B 25

SF Posey C 27

SF Sandoval 3B 27

SF Crawford SS 27

SF Panik 2B 23

SF Belt 1B 26