• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Official Website: Angels said to be among Tanaka's favorites

The Angels offer a prime location, boast a star-studded team and have available funds. And according to a weekend report from the Japanese publication Sports Hochi, that combination has made them among three favorites -- along with the Yankees and Dodgers -- to land coveted 25-year-old right-hander Masahiro Tanaka.

View the full article

I don't believe everything that Dipoto has said. Well, I believe that they didn't meet with him while he was here, but it doesn't mean that there haven't been conversations and even an offer. I am pretty sure we have done a little more than merely kick the tires on this one.

I don't believe everything that Dipoto has said. Well, I believe that they didn't meet with him while he was here, but it doesn't mean that there haven't been conversations and even an offer. I am pretty sure we have done a little more than merely kick the tires on this one.

Actually I believe quite a bit of what Dipoto said. He strikes me as the type who won't lie in press interviews. However he will mask the truth. For instance Dipoto is quoted as saying the Angels didn't meet with Tanaka when he was in Los Angeles. I believe that.

However, like you said Stradling,  I also believe that the Angels have already met with him previously or plan to meet with him very soon. The Angels could possibly be the team that was quoted in the other news article (from a random National League GM) as the "team that will swoop in and outbid everyone".

The bottom line is that the Angels have to have kicked the tires on this one and Dipoto clearly doesn't want to give away negotiating leverage in any way shape or form. Dipoto doesn't have to lie but he can word his phrases and responses to give the impression the Angels are disinterested while simultaneously masking a different intent.

Or we could just not be in on Tanaka? :)

Here is another way to look at it. He may want make his own/team identity and be with a team without other countrymen.

Yanks have  Kuroda

Seattle has Iwakuma

Texas has Darvish

Dodgers have Ryu (ok, so he is Korean)

The Angels will have...fill in the space... T _ _ _ a :)

Here is another way to look at it. He may want make his own/team identity and be with a team without other countrymen.

Yanks have  Kuroda

Seattle has Iwakuma

Texas has Darvish

Dodgers have Ryu (ok, so he is Korean)

The Angels will have...fill in the space... T _ _ _ a :)

That's what was said yesterday on MLBN as well, that there are ramblings going around that he doesn't want to play second fiddle to any of his fellow countrymen.

Actually I believe quite a bit of what Dipoto said. He strikes me as the type who won't lie in press interviews. However he will mask the truth. For instance Dipoto is quoted as saying the Angels didn't meet with Tanaka when he was in Los Angeles. I believe that.

However, like you said Stradling,  I also believe that the Angels have already met with him previously or plan to meet with him very soon. The Angels could possibly be the team that was quoted in the other news article (from a random National League GM) as the "team that will swoop in and outbid everyone".

The bottom line is that the Angels have to have kicked the tires on this one and Dipoto clearly doesn't want to give away negotiating leverage in any way shape or form. Dipoto doesn't have to lie but he can word his phrases and responses to give the impression the Angels are disinterested while simultaneously masking a different intent.

Or we could just not be in on Tanaka? :)

There could be some truth to this.

Arte flew to Texas to meet with Hamilton at his home. I can see a private meeting with Tanaka in Japan before or after he came to meet with other teams. The Angels like to do their business politely and do not like to get involved in bidding wars opening.

All I know is the Angels are tight lipped on this and generally when they're out or not interested in a player, they'll tell me. Not the case.