• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Blanton news

Ohtaniland

• The Angels will bring Joe Blanton to Spring Training and if they can't find a trade for the veteran hurler, MLB.com's Alden Gonzalez opines (via Twitter), Blanton will simply be released.  Blanton posted a career-worst 6.04 ERA in 2013, though the advanced metrics (3.84 xFIP, 3.92 SIERA) indicate that ERA was inflated thanks to an ungainly 19.1% home run rate and a .346 BABIP.  The Halos would eat $8.5MM if they released Blanton --- his $7.5MM salary for 2014 and the $1MM buyout of his $8MM 2015 option.
  • Gonzalez also tweets that he expects the Angels to sign another free agent pitcher to their rotation.

After the Mulder signing and rumors about adding another starting pitcher, it only made sense that Blanton would be forced out of the pitching staff let alone rotation. We'll have Weaver, Wilson, (Free Agent), Richards, Santiago, Skaggs, Mulder, LeBlanc whose at least pitched in the majors, and Shoemaker in the rotation and Frieri, Smith, Burnett, De La Rosa, Kohn, Jepsen, Salas, Moran (who has to stay on the 25 man roster for a specific amount of time), Boshers, Rasmus, Maronde, Brasier, Roth, Wall, and Carson who I think they're a little high on. It's not great depth but it's a lot more than we had last year and I have a hard time seeing where Blanton fits in in all of this. Getting more and more excited for spring training

The ERA was inflated because he's a shitty pitcher.

I laughed.

I like looking at FIP and xFIP but you can't just rely on that without any context. Blanton has always had HR issues so you can just assume that he's "unlucky" after all these seasons he's pitched.

According to FIP, Blanton had a better season than Weaver last year, which is just downright stupid. Weaver has shown that he induces weak contact and lots of infield pop ups, which doesn't show up in FIP.

While I hope he never pitches for us again, like the rest of you I realize that he'll get released, sign with another AL team, and then proceed to go all Napoli on us next year.

I'm guessing he'll be an Astro next year.

I laughed.

I like looking at FIP and xFIP but you can't just rely on that without any context. Blanton has always had HR issues so you can just assume that he's "unlucky" after all these seasons he's pitched.

According to FIP, Blanton had a better season than Weaver last year, which is just downright stupid. Weaver has shown that he induces weak contact and lots of infield pop ups, which doesn't show up in FIP.

And it kills cats!

Good luck Angels.  Good luck.  

Exactly. Hard to see another team trading for him and giving anything of value.

Getting more and more excited for spring training

It's creeping up on us. I too am getting excited for spring training.

I got sick of him right away when he would give up line drives all over the place and then after the game talk like he just gave up a few bloop hits. The "ungainly" HR rate wasn't because he was making a ton of starts at Coors Field, it's because the only way he can get hitters out it by fooling them and he wasn't fooling ANYBODY. Well, anybody other than Dipoto.

Sabremetrics are good stats but they flounder a little when they talk about HR rate and BABIP as trends that are too high and must come down to a normal average.  Sometimes you just have to watch the players and judge for yourself.  Blanton sucks and has a flat fastball and curveball so players are going to hit him hard making a high HR rate and BABIP.  Trout has a high BABIP because he hits the ball so damn hard.  

I don't see how Blanton couldn't be traded, so long as the Angels pitch in most of his contract. Considering how the pitching market has shaped this offseason, at least 2-3 teams would be happy to take on his services at 1-2 million. Then again maybe every GM in baseball isn't an idiot.