• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Blanton news

Ohtaniland

If you are a team that is strapped for cash and looking for a Blanton-level starter, you're probably a shitty team. Why wouldn't you give one of your minor leaguers the chance? I know we don't have have a farm system but other teams still do.

Pitchers like Blanton get signed by shitty teams all the time to fill out their rotation. Why do you think the Astros signed Scott Feldman to his stupid contract?

Here are the scenarios in order of likelihood.....

1. Blanton gets released at the end of spring training (50 percent)

2. Blanton gets traded sometime in spring training, with the Angels eating all but about $1M of his salary (45 percent)

3. Someone gets hurt and Blanton ends up on the team (5 percent)

Personally I wouldn't be shocked if he has a good spring because he said at the end of the year he figured out what the problem was and he planned to throw a lot over the winter to maintain it. as lousy as he was, he's got a track record of a lot of years in the big leagues of being an average starter. Last year was a fluke. Some team will realize they can get a major league no 5 starter for $1 million and will take him.

Sabremetrics are good stats but they flounder a little when they talk about HR rate and BABIP as trends that are too high and must come down to a normal average.  Sometimes you just have to watch the players and judge for yourself.  Blanton sucks and has a flat fastball and curveball so players are going to hit him hard making a high HR rate and BABIP.  Trout has a high BABIP because he hits the ball so damn hard.  

Most all of the statistics used to formulate these general 'rules' we follow in sabremetrics are derived from major league data sets. When you start looking at players who are below major league caliber the rules start to fall apart. It's like the quantum mechanics of baseball, lol.

While I hope he never pitches for us again, like the rest of you I realize that he'll get released, sign with another AL team, and then proceed to go all Napoli on us next year.

I'm guessing he'll be an Astro next year.

Ironic, because he had one of his FEW good starts against them in striking out 11 and allowing just 3 hits in early June 

I don't see how Blanton couldn't be traded, so long as the Angels pitch in most of his contract. Considering how the pitching market has shaped this offseason, at least 2-3 teams would be happy to take on his services at 1-2 million. Then again maybe every GM in baseball isn't an idiot.

Based upon what I have seen, if I were an MLB GM I'm not sure I would pick up Blanton for free, to be honest.

Vernon Wells.

Had a great spring. Curtis Granderson got hurt.

Bingo. Angels saved $13 million bucks.

I'm not a GM, Jeff. But if I were....I'd probably take my chances on a hurt curtis granderson pitching every 5th day over blanton.

Hurt Curt > Uncle Joe

Edited by ten ocho recon scout

I'll bet he comes into 2014 in the best shape of his career.  Hence, the ball should really come out his hand very well.  Allowing him to turn the page or tip the cap with aplomb.

gets released by the angels - sgets signed for the league minimum with the A's magivally posts a 3.50 era and wins 15 games

I remember being at that game. He had a no hitter through like 5 1/3 inning and of course it was a HR to break up the no hitter.

I was there too. It was his longest outing of the year: 8 innings. Only 2 runs, 3 hits, 11 Ks, and zero run support against crappy pitching

Edited by Angel Oracle

Probably a similar situation to the Wells one like Jeff said.

Maybe someone's 5th starter gets hurt and they take a chance on Blanton. 

If a team is to the point that they are looking at Blanton for anything beyond watering the infield, they have already conceded the season and don't care about a fifth starter.

Fact Joe Blanton was absolutely awful last year.

Fact Joe Blanton before last year was 8 games over .500 for his career.

So a team very well could be looking for a "bounce back" year from Joe where he is approximately a .500 pitcher on the cheap, especially with the cost of starting pitching these days. Here's a question for you, would you rather have Joe Blanton starting every fifth day at one year $8 million or Scott Feldman starting for you every fifth day for 3 years and $30 million? Serious question.

Edited by Stradling