• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is Mike Trout....

Hollyw00d

Show me a lousy player that has won the triple crown? I get that it doesn't go by all the recent advanced metrics but it's still an accomplishment. Show me a player that hits for that much power and has that high of a batting average and I'll show you a very valuable player. How is the triple crown any different than all the combination of stats they accumulated to show how great Trout was? Trout is the best player in the game, period. But just because Cabrera won the MVP (when Trout should have) because he won the triple crown doesn't diminish the accomplishment.

Let's hope that he doesn't spend every October like Ernie Banks.

RBI are a false stat, unless you don't get a lot of them. I totally understand that RBI is a bad stat to use to look at a players worth, but how often do you look at the RBI leaders and say, "hey, that guy sucks"? I also think that this Triple Crown hate is stupid, with all due respect.

RBI are a false stat, unless you don't get a lot of them. I totally understand that RBI is a bad stat to use to look at a players worth, but how often do you look at the RBI leaders and say, "hey, that guy sucks"? I also think that this Triple Crown hate is stupid, with all due respect.

Your logic is circular. You are defining good players as players who get a lot of RBI and then ask how many bad players get a lot of RBI.

No leadoff hitter has ever driven in more than 100 RBI's in a season. Being at the top of the RBI leader board is just as much about hitting in the middle of a good line up as it is repeatable skill. Trumbo having a lot of RBI's says more about how good Mike Trout is than it does about how good Mark Trumbo is.

Yes, let's blindly follow the narrative old, ignorant baseball reporters and editors believe by actually giving weight to whatever stats they show.

I honestly don't follow RBIs. I don't even follow the "triple crown race". This false narrative is forced on me due to the illogical motivations of senile sports writers.

If you put Miguel Cabrera in the leadoff spot, he would probably have more than 100 rbi.  Why?  because the correlate to rbi is very high with both slg% and hrs.  and negative with SB.  Part of the reason leadoff men don't get a lot of RBI is because they generally don't hit a lot of hrs or slug. 

RBI is a result.  whether it's repeatable is as much a consequence of the number of opportunities one has. 

BRef has a stat called BSR% or baserunners scored % which calculates the percent of base runner that score as a consequence of the hitters actions.  Regardless of whether the player gets an RBI (ie double plays or scored on an error)

Interestingly, the league average for BSR% has been about 13-15% almost universally since about the 70's.  Team's vary from about 12-17% with most at 14-15%.  Of course relative to the high number of baserunners, 1% here and there can mean a decent amount but on average, it's about 35-40 runs per %.  Last year, the Cards had a 17% rate which is about the highest in the modern era. 

What this means to me is that there isn't much a team 'philosophy' can do to change this.  You are going to plate about the same % of baserunners from year to year no matter what you do. 

So how do you increase your chances of scoring?  Get more runners on base

How do you prevent runners from scoring?  Keep them off the bases.

RBI/RBI opportunities obviously has quite a bit more variability among individual players. Here are a few individual players for their careers to date:

Miguel Cabrera 19%

Trout 18%

Trumbo 17%

Kendrick 16%

Aybar 14%

Josh Hamilton 19% (14% last year)

obviously, players that hit more hrs and have a higher slugging % as well as a higher avg are going to perform better.  But to me it's a way to give some merit to the fact that a guy like Trumbo

as an example, last year Trumbo was 21st in the league in number of runners on base when he came up.  Martin Prado saw almost exactly the same number.  They both had about the same ops.  Prado had 82rbi.  Trumbo had 100rbi.  They both also had about the same wOBA and fWAR. 

not saying that prado and trumbo are equal in other areas (like defense and baserunning), but if they were, because of Trumbo's higher slg/hr numbers, he would end up producing more runs and therefore more wins.  Last year it was about 2 wins worth of runs. 

In essence, it's more about slg% correlating to greater run production, but not all ops/ops+ is created equal. 

I don't think anyone hates the triple crown. I think people are probably just annoyed that Cabrera getting the triple crown was a big reason why he won the MVP in 2012. We don't know for sure but I would bet the MVP race would've been a helluva lot closer had Cabrera not won the triple crown. 

As far as the RBI comment, nobody atop the leader board will generally suck because if they're getting RBI chances, it means they're hitting high up in the order. But there are guys generally each year who get a ton of RBI and aren't that great of hitters. 

For example, Brandon Phillips was 11th in MLB with 80 RBI last year, while posting a below average 91 wRC+(9% below league average). Having Shin Soo Choo and Joey Votto in front of him created an absurd amount of RBI chances for Phillips. 

I don't think anyone hates the triple crown. I think people are probably just annoyed that Cabrera getting the triple crown was a big reason why he won the MVP in 2012. We don't know for sure but I would bet the MVP race would've been a helluva lot closer had Cabrera not won the triple crown.

As far as the RBI comment, nobody atop the leader board will generally suck because if they're getting RBI chances, it means they're hitting high up in the order. But there are guys generally each year who get a ton of RBI and aren't that great of hitters.

For example, Brandon Phillips was 11th in MLB with 80 RBI last year, while posting a below average 91 wRC+(9% below league average). Having Shin Soo Choo and Joey Votto in front of him created an absurd amount of RBI chances for Phillips.

How much closer was it this past year when Cabrera didn't win the Triple Crown? Oh and Cabrera is winning not because he won the Triple Crown he is winning because he is putting up Steroid like numbers on a winning team.