• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Tanaka, Garza, or Bust

Angelsjunky

Don't rule out Price.

agreed. Not that I think it will be price, but something tells me there's still a possibility that one of skaggs/santiago/richards may have become the youbg arm to go along with (fill in the blank) to trade for a veteran but expensive pitcher.

Weav/cj/garza (for argument)/richards/santiago vs weav/cj/price (for argument)/santiago/skaggs

You have to consider what garza is set to make vs a guy like price/c lee etc makes in terms of what makes the most sense.

Sure, holding on to arm depth makes the most long term sense. But we are in win now mode at the sams time.

And personally, I would prefer a trade to eat the money on a cliff lee type over a garza type, but that's just me

Would love to see Tanaka signed but I really doubt that Arte is going to go high enough to get him. Additionaly I don't think that they want to deal with all of the Japanese media that will be part of the package.

The Japanese media is a plus not a minus...

Bid the 20M and offer the dude 6/110.

Is the average fan really going to come out to the game just because some Japanese pitcher they probably only know from what ESPN or MLB Network has said about him over the past couple months is pitching?

I mean I want him, and I would be excited if we got him, but I don't know that he would be a significant draw for those fans who are less obsessed with the minutia of baseball than like the ones here.

they should consider Tanaka regardless of who else they have.  Even if they've signed Garza, they should still try to sign Tanaka.  Worst case scenario is that they have to trade Aybar or Kendrick or both because of salary considerations.  They could actually get additional pitching prospects and perhaps 2b, and/or SS prospects to replace them.  It could very well set the franchise up for the next 5 years to lock up a #1/#2 and have Garza, Skaggs, Richards, and Santiago as potential additional components in addition to whatever near ready pitchers they could get.  For 2014, you could have a rotation of Weaver, Wilson, Tanaka, Garza and Richards.  With Skaggs and Santiago as backups.  If things don't go well, they could trade Wilson. 

With Infante signing with the Royals, Aybar may be our best trade chip now. The only teams that could use Kendrick are the Blue Jays, Nationals, and Yanks. Great match with the Nationals, but not till after the '14 season. Aybar, he'd be a good fit on the Mets and Pirates.

Unfortunately, I don't see them moving Aybar or Kendrick, so kiss the thought of Tanaka goodbye.

To be honest, I'd rather have a 1 year, 2 year guy over Garza. Use the financial flexibility for a trade deadline pickup or the following offseason.

I really think Garza ends up the Angels. The Twins, D-backs, and Angels were his top 3 suitors. Twins just re-signed Pelfrey and Dbacks won't go above 3 years for any starter. Unless some mystery team comes out of the woodwork, Garza will be an Angel.

Edited by SoWhat

I really think Garza ends up the Angels. The Twins, D-backs, and Angels were his top 3 suitors. Twins just re-signed Pelfrey and Dbacks won't go above 3 years for any starter. Unless some mystery team comes out of the woodwork, Garza will be an Angel.

I'd like to hope that was true, but 4yrs for Garza will bring some other teams to the table.  Namely the Yankees. 

At the beginning of the offseason, I thought Garza was going to get 5/90.  If we can get him at 4/60 that would be a solid deal for a #3/4.  Maybe a team option for a 5th year. 

My main reason for wanting to steer clear of him was the fact that I figured he'd get overpaid considerably as probably the best FA pitcher available. 

Still think he's kind of a tool though.