• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official Mark Trumbo Trade Chatter (DEAL DONE)

Here is the scouting report on Skaggs just this past year(who was the Dbacks #1 prospect)

Baseball Prospectus

1. Tyler Skaggs

Position: LHP

DOB: 07/13/1991

Height/Weight: 6’3’’ 195 lbs.

Bats/Throws: L/L

Drafted/Acquired: 1st round, 2009 draft (Angels), Santa Monica High School (Santa Monica, CA)

2012 Stats: 5.83 ERA (29.1 IP, 30 H, 21 K, 13 BB) at major-league level

The Tools: 5+ FB; 6+ CB; 5 CH

What Happened in 2012: An impressive run through the upper minors left Skaggs standing on a major league mound at the end of the season, where the 21-year-old held his own on the biggest stage.

Strengths: Underrated pitchability; clean delivery; maintains a good line to the plate; good strike-throwing ability; fastball is crisp in the 89-92 range; can get more and attack north/south; excellent up and down curveball; major-league bat-missing pitch; changeup plays at 5; can flash more, with good arm-side fade; mature approach.

Weaknesses: Fastball is table setter, not big plus offering; command needs to be sharper; can live too loose in the zone; can push changeup and lose deception.

Overall Future Potential: 6; no. 2/3 starter

Explanation of Risk: Low risk; arsenal can play at major-league level; ready for rotation spot.

Fantasy Future: Has strikeout potential because of sharp 12-to-6 curveball; walks fine line with hard contact and lack of dominant fastball; body to log innings; prototypical mid-rotation arm if everything clicks.

The Year Ahead: Skaggs will look to take another developmental step forward, earning a rotation spot out of camp and living up to the hype. If he can locate the fastball early, working low in the zone, he can set up hitters for the big bender, which should allow the southpaw to miss bats at the highest level. If the changeup can join the curveball as a steady plus offering, the sky is the limit for the young arm.

So most of the people yapping about his mysterious drop in velocity either never saw him or just assumed when someone says a guy can touch 94, that it means he throws 94 MPH with every pitch.

From BA

Background: Skaggs was a three-sport star at Santa Monica (Calif.) High, where his mother Debbie was the longtime softball coach. He eventually gave up basketball and football to focus on baseball and pitched his way into the supplemental first round of the 2009 draft. The Diamondbacks hoped to take him with the 41st overall selection, but the Angels beat them to the punch at No. 40. He was part of a strong Angels draft class that already has sent Mike Trout, Skaggs, Garrett Richards, Patrick Corbin and Drew Carpenter to the majors. Skaggs signed for $1 million just before the Aug. 17 deadline, giving up a Cal State Fullerton commitment. Arizona finally got him a year later, acquiring him as the centerpiece of a July 2010 trade for Dan Haren. The Diamondbacks also received Corbin, Rafael Rodriguez and Joe Saunders. Skaggs’ fastball velocity and prospect stock have risen in each of his two full seasons with Arizona, and he represented the organization in the last two Futures Games. He ranked as the No. 3 prospect in the Double-A Southern League and No. 4 in the Triple-A Pacific Coast League in 2012, going a combined 9-6, 2.87 with 116 strikeouts in 123 innings before making his major league debut on Aug. 22. He beat the Marlins in his big league start and pitched well in his next two before he tired and his velocity dropped in his next three. The Diamondbacks shut him down for the season after the Padres beat him on Sept. 20.

Scouting Report: The jewel of Skaggs’ repertoire is a sharp 12-to-6 curveball that he throws in the mid-70s. It features late, sharp break and is regarded as one of the best in the minors. He set it up with a fastball that ranges from 89-94 mph and features some armside run. He delivers his heater with good downhill plane and spots it to both sides of the plate. He throws in the low 90s more consistently than he ever has, and he also has improved his fastball command as well. Skaggs’ changeup gives him a potential third plus pitch, but he needs to trust it more. It arrives at 78-80 mph, has some fade and plays well off his fastball. He can dominate hitters when all three pitches are working for him. Skaggs has smooth, easy mechanics and uses a high three-quarters arm slot. His athleticism allows him to repeat his delivery and consistently command his pitches. He also stands out for his composure on the mound and his idea of what he needs to do with each hitter. He holds runners well with a strong pickoff move, permitting just five steals in eight attempts last year. He didn’t give up a single stolen base in his six major league starts and he uses his athleticism to field his position well.

The Future: Skaggs will only be 21 when spring training rolls around, but he has an excellent chance of earning a spot in the Arizona rotation when camp breaks. There’s still some projection remaining in his lanky frame, so there’s a chance he could continue to get stronger and add more velocity to his fastball. One of the top lefthanded pitching prospects in the game, he projects as a No. 2 starter.

I'd still be OK with that. The Angels save a lot of money and get younger.

IF the prospect is a fringe top 10, and not Borenstein, Lindsey, Yarbrough, Sappington, Rondon, Morin or Alvarez, I like the proposed trade.

Trumbo, Kendrick, and a key prospect seems like too much for Skaggs and Quintana or Santiago.

Update:  Since the prospect appears to be a Rule 5 candidate, I like the proposed trade since none of those key prospects are involved.   Get it done Thursday, Jerry, and redeem yourself.

Edited by Angel Oracle

This would be such a great trade. Even if we give up a prospect, it's a great haul because we're getting the one thing we need: young, cost controlled starters. 

Skaggs+a decent prospect would've been plenty for me but getting Santiago is just awesome. The trade gives us flexibility to go sign one more starter and another bat to replace Trumbo.

Get it done Dipoto!!

FWIW

SOURCE: #Angels #Dbacks & #WhiteSox figuring out money & prospects involved in Trumbo-Skaggs-Santiago deal, according to @TaylorBlakeWard .

Neither of those two are any more informed that you and I Cory. 

@hubbardtwin11 <-- Me says the deal also includes Chris Sale from the White Sox in exchange for Howie Kendrick, Chris Iannetta. Joe Blanton is going to the White Sox.

This would be such a great trade. Even if we give up a prospect, it's a great haul because we're getting the one thing we need: young, cost controlled starters. 

Skaggs+a decent prospect would've been plenty for me but getting Santiago is just awesome. The trade gives us flexibility to go sign one more starter and another bat to replace Trumbo.

Get it done Dipoto!!

I will be giddy that Dipoto was able to pull this off....but then, I was never one of the Crucify Dipoto gang.

Will come as no surprise to me.

Some crow to be digested IF this comes together.

Neither of those two are any more informed that you and I Cory. 

@hubbardtwin11 <-- Me says the deal also includes Chris Sale from the White Sox in exchange for Howie Kendrick, Chris Iannetta. Joe Blanton is going to the White Sox.

Agreed. Hence the FWIW label atop. The Taylor guy at least works for a blog/looks the part.