• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Both LA Teams are in on Price

HBMike

Name ONE player acquired by the Rays that was already being paid almost $10 million/season?

I agree with you. Last offseason they traded Shields for Wil Myers and other prospects. Kendricks and Trumbo for Price is a pipe dream. For TB, it would defeat the purpose for trading Price. They would be taking about about the the same amount or more money in that trade. Over the last 4-5 years, they've done a great job renting inexpensive 1B that are trying to revive their career. 

Price would still be a great number 3 starter at worst. I'd take his 2011 numbers any year. While his K rate was down in 2013, his BB rate was outstanding. So even if he is striking out less batters he is still making up for it by throwing strikes and getting outs.

One also has to look at his stats pre- and post-DL stint.

Before he went on the DL, he pitched 55 innings, with a 5.40 ERA/1.47 WHIP/8.01 K per 9.

After he returned, he pitched 131.2 innings/2.53 ERA/.96 WHIP/6.97 K per 9.

He was clearly a different pitcher once he came back.

Name ONE player acquired by the Rays that was already being paid almost $10 million/season?

So what has happened in the past makes any deals in the present impossible. The Rays are doomed to never acquire what they need while shedding overall payroll just because they never topped a certain dollar figure. Thanks for clarifying what the Rays ownership is committed to.

1) being that Price still has 2 years before he's a FA, the Rays are in the driver's seat on this one and will need to be overwhelmed with a deal, which I don't think the Angels can do.

2) I appreciate Dipoto trying to get an ace, but I don't think Price is the one to go after.  Inconsistency, slight injury concern, and numbers not exactly on their way up.

So what has happened in the past makes any deals in the present impossible. The Rays are doomed to never acquire what they need while shedding overall payroll just because they never topped a certain dollar figure. Thanks for clarifying what the Rays ownership is committed to.

Any time, it's always been that way in TB, and until they get a new ballpark that's much easier to get to and new ownership with more bucks, they will never, eever again draw 2 million even and never, eever get a real tv deal. 

Edited by Angel Oracle

I can't believe I'm actually reading posts from Angels fans who don't think 2 years of David Price is worth pursuing.

It's worth it as long as the trade doesn't include most of the remaining prospects in this org.

I would be happy with two years of Price for say Trumbo, Bourjos, Sappington, and Snyder.   

They won't take Kendrick, and we shouldn't trade for sure Lindsey, Morin, Borenstein, and Rondon.  

Have the Rays ever traded a star player for players about to enter arbitration?

Kendrick and Trumbo for Price is a laughable offer.

Two former All Stars for a no 1 pitcher.  That is not that laughable.  The price of Kendrick and Trumbo's salary may bet the Rays to balk on the move.  But I think that is a fair trade.

Just because Price's contract would be moved doesn't mean the Rays want to add salary via trade. They never have in an offseason deal to the best of my knowledge.

They have an uncanny ability to maximize spending money his free agency.

If I were the Rays I would trade Price for prospects with less than 3 months service time only. Way more potential value that way. What little money you have target value free agents.

Landing Price is a just as likely to happen as Pujols deciding to restructure his deal and give the Angels back $109 million.

There is a gamble.  Kendrick and Trumbo have been proven major leaguers.  Prospects are always a gamble.  Remember a guy named Wood?

1) being that Price still has 2 years before he's a FA, the Rays are in the driver's seat on this one and will need to be overwhelmed with a deal, which I don't think the Angels can do.

2) I appreciate Dipoto trying to get an ace, but I don't think Price is the one to go after.  Inconsistency, slight injury concern, and numbers not exactly on their way up.

Price has been anything but inconsistent. He's averaged between 3.9-4.8 WAR since 2010. The drop in K's is worrisome but he also dropped his walk rate significantly. 

Good point I was just simply pointing out that his numbers aren't on the decline like he implied. It really wouldn't be a surprise to see his K/9 rate jump back up near 8 with his BB/9 rate near 2. 

Yeah I didn't mean to imply he's inconsistent on the level of Ervin Santana or anything.  Part of what has left a bad taste in my mouth re: Price was the way he got lit up by Boston in the playoffs.  One game, sure. But that combined with the way he started the season . . . don't get me wrong, he's a great pitcher, I'm just not sold on trying to blow away the Rays for him.

Yeah I didn't mean to imply he's inconsistent on the level of Ervin Santana or anything.  Part of what has left a bad taste in my mouth re: Price was the way he got lit up by Boston in the playoffs.  One game, sure. But that combined with the way he started the season . . . don't get me wrong, he's a great pitcher, I'm just not sold on trying to blow away the Rays for him.

Totally agree with the Boston thing. He definitely look a little more hittable this past year but I have to imagine the injury forced him to try pitching more to contact than anything else. 

Totally agree with the Boston thing. He definitely look a little more hittable this past year but I have to imagine the injury forced him to try pitching more to contact than anything else. 

Yeah, I think what it comes down to with Price is how big a part you think the injury played in his struggles last year, and then what you think the probability of that injury (or related) being a factor in the future are.

The Rays were paying Zobrist $7.5 million to play 2nd and Loney $2 million to play first.

Now considering Price cost them $11 million last season, it would stand to reason they are not adding to payroll by moving Price for Kendrick and Trumbo to get significantly increased offense for the same cost. They are still saving Zobrist and Loney money to put back into the rotation without adding to their payroll.

So the trade makes perfect sense to them having increased the offense they desperatly need while actually cutting their bottom line, provided they are thinking an in house solution for Price.

the rays don't need offense, they were top 5 in the AL this season. also, Kendrick is not an upgrade over zobrist and zobrist is cheaper

I just don't see the Angels and Rays matching up with Price.  Dipoto has said ever since the deadline that this team needs pitching depth.  Young, controllable SP.

Guys like Lance Lynn that are going to stick around for the next 4+ years seem highly more likely. 

I like David Price, but in 2 years, he's about to get REALLY expensive, like 25 million a year expensive.