• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Both LA Teams are in on Price

HBMike

Check out this article from Sporting News:

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2013-11-06/mlb-trade-rumors-2014-david-price-dodgers-angels-phillies

Basically they imply that a package of Trumbo, Bourjos and Richards would possibly get Price.

Would you do that or is that too much for a guy who could be gone after two years???

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2013-11-06/mlb-trade-rumors-2014-david-price-dodgers-angels-phillies

Basically they imply that a package of Trumbo, Bourjos and Richards would possibly get Price.

Would you do that or is that too much for a guy who could be gone after two years???

Losing Richards would kind of suck but I'd do that.

It just means we still have 2 more rotation spots to fill though. 

Edited by Angels_Baseball

That writer is completely out of his mind.

All you have to do is run the "ballpark" math: Price @ 2 years at approximately 4.5 WAR per season. Using $5.5 million per WAR that's $49.5 million in WAR value. Take out his projected arbitration salaries of $13,100,000 plus his 2015 salary that should be around $18500000 and that leaves you with about $17-18 million in "net worth". Add in some additional value for the fact that he is a top-line ace and that he will net a compensatory draft pick (Qualifying Offer) and you are probably up around $25-$30 million in total value.

Trumbo for 3 years of control probably sits around $15 million in total value (2014-2016: 2.3 WAR per season). Garrett Richards under 5 years of control projects around $32-40 million in total value (2014-2018: 2.5 WAR per season).

The point I am trying to make is that we shouldn't sell our players short. They have real value and the numbers are certainly debatable but if the Rays want to maximize their total value they should be looking at prospects not established MLB talent. MLB players are the apple to apple comparison. Trading for prospects is where the Rays can really strike gold (aka Wil Myers) if they target the right farm sysems and players where they can extract far greater value because prospects are inherently inexpensive because of the "gamble" involved in making sure they develop properly.

There is a gamble.  Kendrick and Trumbo have been proven major leaguers.  Prospects are always a gamble.  Remember a guy named Wood?

There is also the fact that picking up Kendrick and Trumbo (and Richards) for Price, even if an even salary swap, they're still filling three spots for the same salary they'd be paying Price. That's two fewer players they have to budget, and there is value in that.

^agreed mark.

Like most of you, I doubt TB would go for it. (And Im very hesitant to trade richards given our lack of depth already). That said, flaws included, our tradeable guys DO have more value than some on here are giving them.

I'm thinking something none of us see coming is in its infant talks right now. Some trade partner out there is going to try and rip us off for trumbo. Dipoto will try and rip somebody off for howie. Etc etc. Both sides are saying no thanks right now, but around the winter meetings I'm sure at least two of our guys are flipped. Lets just hope its for a good return.

(And though the evidence looks the contrary, I think were all in on tanaka. It just may be another grienke situation where someone is ready to outbid us).

I would really hope we could find better value for Bourjos, Trumbo and Richards than Price. You have to factor service time into the equation.

Richards is more valuable than you think. He is the perfect trade candidate. Dude has a ton of upside and little service time.

If the manager would have kept him in the rotation earlier in the season...

Edited by YouthofToday

I would really hope we could find better value for Bourjos, Trumbo and Richards than Price. You have to factor service time into the equation.

Richards is more valuable than you think. He is the perfect trade candidate. Dude has a ton of upside and little service time.

Richards ERA for the first three months of the season 5.04, 4.97, 6.23. I think if you had paid attention at the start of the season you would have seen how erratic and out of control he was of his emotions and unable to recover from an inning starting to get out of control.

Scioscia made the right move pulling him from the rotation and putting him lower leverage situations out of the bullpen to let him regain some confidence in his stuff. Once he turned the corner in July he was put back in the rotation and finished the season as a starter.

How much more "value" can you get than a 28 year old who is one of the best pitcher's in baseball?

Oh I agree with you there, but there is simply no way the Angels can get either one of those guys. Wacha would be the best option but the Cards would be stupid to part ways with him, and I doubt the Angels have anything they would deem worthy in that trade.

someone proposed this offer on twitter

@jimcallisMLB: I’d want more if I were #Rays. @MBrierley: is Gausman, E. Rodriguez and Schoop close to a legitimate offer to get Price? in the ball park?

@jimcallisMLB: Not sure Cards need to do that but doesn’t seem excessive. @RGLP69: Could #Rays get Adams, C.Martinez & Wacha from #Cardinals for Price?

What the hell are these idiots smoking? Trading Wacha, Adams, and Martinez for Price would be the lopsided deal of the century.

Edited by sneaky_flute