• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Thoughts on the Don Baylor Signing

Here are some of my thoughts on the Don Baylor signing as the new hitting coach:

*Don Baylor brings a presence to the Angels that has been missing, especially with loss of Torii Hunter. The 2013 team lacked a real identity, and as a result, never really gelled until that late run in August/September. In the press conference with Mike Scioscia and Don Baylor, Mike Scioscia talked about the presence that Baylor would bring, and how much respect people in the game have for him. For that reason alone, I like the signing.

* When asked about areas that the Angels need to improve, Baylor talked about getting the team out of the gate better. He has talked with Mike Scioscia about that and what changes need to happen in Spring Training in order for this to occur. Over the past 4 years, the Angels have not been well above .500 on June 1st. They need to change that. As fans, we know that games early in the season count as much as games late in the season in the standings, and I'm hoping to see an end to that streak.

*Don Baylor is not going to be the manager. In the press conference, he made that clear, saying "I am a coach, not a manager on his [Mike Scioscia's] club". All those of you who think he's gunning for a managerial job or anything else are misreading the tea leaves.

*Don Baylor is excited and happy to be back home, with the Angels. Several times in the press conference he talked about wanting to be back in Anaheim (he lives locally), the fond memories he has with the team, the relationships he has with some people (which includes Mike Scioscia through their work together raising money for cystic fibrosis). I always want a player/coach/manager who wants to be here. He said he jumped at the opportunity to be here. He said he could have waited to see what managerial jobs would have opened up after the World Series, but wanted this one and took it. It wasn't an issue of years as to why he left AZ (he has a 2-year deal here, which was the same as in AZ).

*Don Baylor's hitting philosophy is about putting the ball in play, hitting up the middle, and making things happen. He does not like strikeouts, and specifically talked about guys thinking it's okay to strike out "100. 110, 120, 130 times". He wants to put the ball in play, get runners on the move, and making things happen. He said that most pitchers today "pitch away" but that our hitters will "get their opportunities to turn on an inside pitch."

*Regarding Mike Trout, Baylor remembers him from the Futures Game, when Trout was the youngest player on the team. He said "I've got to get him in there." He took notes on Trout and thinks that any club that has him is lucky.

*Regarding Josh Hamilton, Baylor believes that he is a key to the offense and will be working with him. He knows and has seen what Hamilton can do when he gets his swing going, and he will be working with him. 

*Baylor's coaching style seems flexible to the player. He will try things for a while, but won't keep pounding the same things over and over if it's not working.

*Baylor will be contacting the players in the offseason to introduce himself and go over some things and will be reviewing tape of when things were going well for players in order to get ready for Spring Training.

*Baylor and Scioscia have a good relationship that they've built both on and off the field. Baylor will be a sounding board for Scioscia, which I think will help Scioscia be more successful.

*Baylor is very respectful. When talking about how excited he was to be back, he talked about how it was as exciting as when he was brought over with Grich and others by "Mr. Autry". I really appreciate a man, even at his age, still being appropriate like that. Far too many people forget that, and it shows the type of man, character, and respect that Baylor has.

*The funniest thing was when Baylor was talking about negotiating with his former closer who is now the GM of the team. That must have been an interesting conversation. However, Baylor was Dipoto's pick in both Arizona and now with the Angels. I think this shows that Dipoto's influence on the team is growing and will be more apparent this year.

All-in-all, I'm very excited about this signing. I really like that Baylor wants to be here and the presence that he will bring. He's connected to the community and is highly regarded by players throughout the game. I'm eager to see what he can do to straighten the offense out so that we do get out of the gate better and that turn it around in 2014. This team does not need a major overhaul, and with some tweaking should contend next year.

Interested to see what he can do with Trumbo ... if he's still on the team next season.

*Don Baylor's hitting philosophy is about putting the ball in play, hitting up the middle, and making things happen. He does not like strikeouts, and specifically talked about guys thinking it's okay to strike out "100. 110, 120, 130 times". He wants to put the ball in play, get runners on the move, and making things happen. He said that most pitchers today "pitch away" but that our hitters will "get their opportunities to turn on an inside pitch."

Love it !!!!

Edited by Troll Daddy

I am beginning to think that Scioscia is starting to regain his power and influence. Not good.

I would disagree with that. I think that Dipoto was able to get his guy and it worked well because Scioscia and Baylor have a good relationship from working together for 8 years on raising money for cystic fibrosis (which is a very worthwhile activity--a truly horrid disease that I wish were cured as a good friend has a son with it). 

I think the more interesting thing will be how Baylor works with Trumbo and Hamilton to retain their power AND cut down on their strikeouts.

Ive always been a fan, so I'm excited about this move. To be fair, though I like the quotes, the results remain to be seen.

It sounds greedy, but with most teams having gone to two hitting coaches, I wou ld love to get carew back. I think he and baylor would be a perfect balance between slugger and contact guy. (But if I remember correctly, carew said he'd never come back).

Still hoping percy ends up here, even if he starts just as an assistant.

Here are some of my thoughts on the Don Baylor signing as the new hitting coach:

*Don Baylor brings a presence to the Angels that has been missing, especially with loss of Torii Hunter. The 2013 team lacked a real identity, and as a result, never really gelled until that late run in August/September. In the press conference with Mike Scioscia and Don Baylor, Mike Scioscia talked about the presence that Baylor would bring, and how much respect people in the game have for him. For that reason alone, I like the signing.

* When asked about areas that the Angels need to improve, Baylor talked about getting the team out of the gate better. He has talked with Mike Scioscia about that and what changes need to happen in Spring Training in order for this to occur. Over the past 4 years, the Angels have not been well above .500 on June 1st. They need to change that. As fans, we know that games early in the season count as much as games late in the season in the standings, and I'm hoping to see an end to that streak.

*Don Baylor is not going to be the manager. In the press conference, he made that clear, saying "I am a coach, not a manager on his [Mike Scioscia's] club". All those of you who think he's gunning for a managerial job or anything else are misreading the tea leaves.

*Don Baylor is excited and happy to be back home, with the Angels. Several times in the press conference he talked about wanting to be back in Anaheim (he lives locally), the fond memories he has with the team, the relationships he has with some people (which includes Mike Scioscia through their work together raising money for cystic fibrosis). I always want a player/coach/manager who wants to be here. He said he jumped at the opportunity to be here. He said he could have waited to see what managerial jobs would have opened up after the World Series, but wanted this one and took it. It wasn't an issue of years as to why he left AZ (he has a 2-year deal here, which was the same as in AZ).

*Regarding Mike Trout, Baylor remembers him from the Futures Game, when Trout was the youngest player on the team. He said "I've got to get him in there." He took notes on Trout and thinks that any club that has him is lucky.

*Regarding Josh Hamilton, Baylor believes that he is a key to the offense and will be working with him. He knows and has seen what Hamilton can do when he gets his swing going, and he will be working with him.

*Baylor's coaching style seems flexible to the player. He will try things for a while, but won't keep pounding the same things over and over if it's not working.

*Baylor will be contacting the players in the offseason to introduce himself and go over some things and will be reviewing tape of when things were going well for players in order to get ready for Spring Training.

*Baylor and Scioscia have a good relationship that they've built both on and off the field. Baylor will be a sounding board for Scioscia, which I think will help Scioscia be more successful.

*Baylor is very respectful. When talking about how excited he was to be back, he talked about how it was as exciting as when he was brought over with Grich and others by "Mr. Autry". I really appreciate a man, even at his age, still being appropriate like that. Far too many people forget that, and it shows the type of man, character, and respect that Baylor has.

*The funniest thing was when Baylor was talking about negotiating with his former closer who is now the GM of the team. That must have been an interesting conversation. However, Baylor was Dipoto's pick in both Arizona and now with the Angels. I think this shows that Dipoto's influence on the team is growing and will be more apparent this year.

All-in-all, I'm very excited about this signing. I really like that Baylor wants to be here and the presence that he will bring. He's connected to the community and is highly regarded by players throughout the game. I'm eager to see what he can do to straighten the offense out so that we do get out of the gate better and that turn it around in 2014. This team does not need a major overhaul, and with some tweaking should contend next year.

David did you go to the press conference today or dial in and listen and take notes?

Good post bud.

I attended the telephone conference. I just didn't have he time to get something out and be accurate with the quotes. The beat writers will all do that, but I wanted to give our fans some quick takes on it with my thoughts.

Great job as usual Dave!   I would like to challenge all the old Mickey Hatcher apologists on the board, go back and read what Dave wrote and try and picture Mickey Hatcher 1) saying any of that or 2) trying to teach any of that.  Folks, we have a TRUE batting coach for the first time in the Scioscia era.