• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

ESPN: Angels had 'aggressive' meetings

gotbeer

"We all have to be accountable, and there are certainly some decisions that I made this year and some guys were played and went about some roles that didn't work out, and you have to be accountable for that"

"If you eventually are not doing your job to help the team going in the right direction or have the team playing up to its potential, someone else gets a chance."

So what was Picciolo and Eppard's accountability in all this?

"There's no doubt there's no philosophical differences. We just have to figure out a way to get it done better and more effectively and move our organization ahead. Jerry Dipoto and I, we don't agree on everything. No GM and manager agree on everything.

"We all have to be accountable, and there are certainly some decisions that I made this year and some guys were played and went about some roles that didn't work out, and you have to be accountable for that," Scioscia said. "We did find some chemistry later in the season and played the way we can, but all in all, you can't turn your back on it and bury your head in the sand and say, 'Hey, it's not my fault.' We all have a piece of it.

"Hopefully we're going to make the adjustments we need to next year to do what Boston did," Scioscia said.

His "we" declarations are awfully passive aggressive. 

A huge part of the problem here is him realizing that some things are 100% his fault.  Can't say I'm surprised though, his ego has always been problematic.

One thing about me is I'm hard-headed, I'm opinionated and I'm going to stand up for what I think is right, and you put four guys who are hard-headed in the same room and are opinionated, and you can look at that as conflict but it really isn't in baseball terms.

Translation:  I'm difficult to work with.  I'm controlling.  My demeanor creates conflict.  But you should ignore all of my personality flaws because this is "normal" in baseball. 

Uh huh. 

Edited by mp170.6

I just got a laff out of the "aggresive" meetings as well.

I can just see Sosh running on contact from third after a sharlpy hit ball directly to the third baseman.  He's out by a mile, but gets plenty of high fives in the dugout.

Scioscia ate his linguine aggressively.

the boston reference is interesting.

they were able to get back on track ridiculously quickly thanks to the new "need to make a splash" owners in LA.

i dont see us able to pull off those kinds of massive moves the release some of our contract bloat.

Edited by mrwicked

the boston reference is interesting.

they were able to get back on track ridiculously quickly thanks to the new "need to make a splash" owners in LA.

i dont see us able to pull off those kinds of massive moves the release some of our contract bloat.

What hasn't really been discussed on here.  Since I guess it's taboo, or people already lit the torches and sharpened the pitchforks on trading Trumbo.  

And this is going along the lines of what Boston did.  But what if the Angels ate $10 million a year on Hamilton?  Was his September a sign of him turning the corner?  Would other teams be interested in him at $15 million a year (which isn't right because his contract is back loaded, but you get the picture)?  Does he need a change of scenery?  

And yes, I know he has a full no trade clause.  But players have waived that no trade to go to places where they could be productive.  For instance, Yanks need offense, and he has done quite well there.  Wouldn't even rule out going back to the Rangers.  

Boston's turnaround had a lot to do with guys that were already on the roster.  Lackey, Lester, and Buchholz, especially.  The salary relief allowed them to get a few productive players.... Gomes, Victorino, Uehara,  Drew, Napoli.  Not sure how they've all actually produced as much as they have.... other than Dempster and Hanrahan, everything seems to have worked out.  

The Angels don't need as big of a turnaround...they were basically a .500 team.  They need better years from a few guys on the roster and they need to make a couple good moves. Some luck would be nice, too.

the whole red sox roster not mailing in the season like they did in 2012 helped as well, I'm sure.   it's all good and well that they're doing well this year, but most of those guys should be ashamed of how they basically tanked a season because they didn't like their manager.

They didn't "mail it in" last year. They had a lot of injuries last year. Also, some of their pitchers have made a big improvement/bounced back.

They didn't "mail it in" last year. They had a lot of injuries last year. Also, some of their pitchers have made a big improvement/bounced back.

And much of the Dodgers' current roster spent 2/3 of the year with the ChowdaSox last year. Not to mention some key players for the ChowdaSox this year were not there last year (Victorino, Napoli, Uehara).

What does Scioscia care if he gets fired? He is guaranteed $25 mil plus. If I were him, I would have gone to the "meetings" and said "do whatever you want with me, I won't be begging you to keep me around." Is anyone really surprised he "convinced" Arte to keep him?

Boston's turnaround had a lot to do with guys that were already on the roster.  Lackey, Lester, and Buchholz, especially.  The salary relief allowed them to get a few productive players.... Gomes, Victorino, Uehara,  Drew, Napoli.  Not sure how they've all actually produced as much as they have.... other than Dempster and Hanrahan, everything seems to have worked out. 

Boston dumped albatross contracts while we collected them, and they replaced a reviled manager with one who guys want to play for. That was most of the secret of their success.