• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Here is why Trumbo will never yield a good return in trade.

Sure he could but they have to stop displacing him all over the place. He's had to play 1st, RF, LF, 3B and DH the past couple of seasons. He had a nice rookie season and then got pushed out. I'm sure he's been amused.

Lol, ya that's the problem here...

Honestly, let's consider what headcases Pujols and Hamilton have become under current management and consider what a headcase Trumbo wouldn't be if he were on another team.

There's no way a guy like Trumbo should be swinging straight through fastballs down the pipe like he did the last 2 months of 2013.

Trumbo is being undervalued, because if traded he will go to a team that won't dick with him around, will give him some solid advice in the box, and he'll improve significantly.

I can only imagine the type of hitter Trumbo would be if he were on a team like St Louis or Detroit.

The title of the original post is about his trade value, not just focusing on his HR's.

LOL

The conversation I was having with Hamiltown and Mudville was about what his HR totals would look like in Coors Field, NOT his trade value. So carry on, captain obvious.

No one is going to know the numbers like the Angels do and I doubt they'll look at just his second half splits.

There have been 12 players to hit 90 HR or more in the last 3 seasons combined. 20 Have hit 80.

Miguel Cabrera 118 Adrian Beltre 98 Jose Bautista 98 Jay Bruce 96 Edwin Encarnacion 95 Mark Trumbo 95 Giancarlo Stanton 95 Price Fielder 93 Alfonso Soriano 92 Chris Davis 91 Curtis Granderson 91 Adam Jones 90 Josh Hamilton 89 Robinson Cano 88 Adam Dunn 86 Albert Pujols 84 Ryan Braun 83 David Ortiz 82 Mark Reynolds 81 Nelson Cruz 80

Of the above, Granderson and Pujols has missed half a season with Injury. Cruz and Braun both had suspensions for steroids that caused them to miss time. Other than that this is the group of elite power hitters in MLB. Other players that missed time so they didn't get to 80? Longoria, Kemp, Texieira. Trout and Goldschmidt played most of their 2011 seasons in the minors, but got 5 and 8 HR in the majors respectively. I suppose Alvarez fits in with those last two, but still...

That's 25 (or 26) players. The top power hitters in MLB. And of those 25 players, Players who will be in their first year of arbitration or last year of club control in 2014?

Jay Bruce, Mike Trout, Paul Goldschmidt (signed an extension). 

Trumbo for tulo, we take on the salary.

They're names sound the same, we get another off season splash for stupid money. The excitement of the 2011 and 12 winter is back.

Were not gonna win the october crown, but we can three peat the december one.

Nah, Tulo comes too close to filling a hole on the roster to fit the Big Splash criteria. All he would have going for him is the gigantic contract.

Trumbo fills a need for the Rays. He won't be terribly expensive in years 4-5 and could be a huge asset for them to trade in year 6. 

Say they get Kendrick in the deal as well. They scored only 700 runs (less than the Angels) and allowed 646 runs but still managed to win 91 games. Their lineup for Monday nights game was:

Jennings CF

Myers RF

Zobrist 2B

Longoria 3B

D. Young DH

S. Rodriguez LF

James Loney 1B

Y. Escobar SS
J. Molina C

Trumbo and Kendrick would both start for that team. 

Maybe Trumbo doesn't start at 1st, but he'd be the DH or LF. 

And Kendrick probably just moves Zobrist to the OF. 

Next seasons Rays have a lot of work to do.

They have David Price as a 2nd year Arbitration case at $14M likely per year.

Longoria makes $7.5.

Zobrist has a $7M option with a 2.5 M buyout.

Escobar has a $5M Option, which could be exercised, or they could let him leave.

Ryan Roberts has been hurt all year, which could help their depth. Yet he is arbitration eligible. Could male as much as 4.5M

Matt Joyce also could be a 4.5M player. Why?

Jeremy Helickson will get a huge raise.

Delmon Young is a FA.

Loney is a FA. So is Molina, Rodney, and the player formally known as Fausto Carmona (now Roberto Hernandez).

They need to bring in some experience. 

In their farm system, they have Odorrozi who could be involved in their rotation next year, they have Hak Ju Lee who could be back and is certainly ready for the majors and former #1 pick Tim Beckham. 

I don't think Trumbo brings back a cost controlled pitcher like Jeremy Hellickson, but they could move David Price, and with two years left, he'd bring at least what they got back in the Shields trade. Which means it's not gonna be just Trumbo and Kendrick, but also likely Girchuck, and Taylor Lindsey as well.

Now is this worth it? I'm not sure. The Salary is a wash with Trumbo and Kendrick, but Price could be a target.

Trumbo fills a need for the Rays. He won't be terribly expensive in years 4-5 and could be a huge asset for them to trade in year 6. 

Say they get Kendrick in the deal as well. They scored only 700 runs (less than the Angels) and allowed 646 runs but still managed to win 91 games. Their lineup for Monday nights game was:

Jennings CF

Myers RF

Zobrist 2B

Longoria 3B

D. Young DH

S. Rodriguez LF

James Loney 1B

Y. Escobar SS

J. Molina C

Trumbo and Kendrick would both start for that team. 

Maybe Trumbo doesn't start at 1st, but he'd be the DH or LF. 

And Kendrick probably just moves Zobrist to the OF. 

Next seasons Rays have a lot of work to do.

They have David Price as a 2nd year Arbitration case at $14M likely per year.

Longoria makes $7.5.

Zobrist has a $7M option with a 2.5 M buyout.

Escobar has a $5M Option, which could be exercised, or they could let him leave.

Ryan Roberts has been hurt all year, which could help their depth. Yet he is arbitration eligible. Could male as much as 4.5M

Matt Joyce also could be a 4.5M player. Why?

Jeremy Helickson will get a huge raise.

Delmon Young is a FA.

Loney is a FA. So is Molina, Rodney, and the player formally known as Fausto Carmona (now Roberto Hernandez).

They need to bring in some experience. 

In their farm system, they have Odorrozi who could be involved in their rotation next year, they have Hak Ju Lee who could be back and is certainly ready for the majors and former #1 pick Tim Beckham. 

I don't think Trumbo brings back a cost controlled pitcher like Jeremy Hellickson, but they could move David Price, and with two years left, he'd bring at least what they got back in the Shields trade. Which means it's not gonna be just Trumbo and Kendrick, but also likely Girchuck, and Taylor Lindsey as well.

Now is this worth it? I'm not sure. The Salary is a wash with Trumbo and Kendrick, but Price could be a target.

So you made a better case on why the Rays would never trade for trumbo and kendrick.

Why would they trade valuable cheap prospects and add around 20 million to their payroll.

Edited by Poozy

I'm saying that they need to re-structure their team, they have 14 Million committed in 2014, and that doesn't include Price.

$14.1 committed next year to four players: Longoria, Zobrist (if they declined his option, otherwise it's going to be 18.6 M), Joel Peralta, and Matt Moore.

They then have 21 spots to fill. Cost controlled guys definitely in their plans number as many as 9, (McGee, Cobb, Jennings, Loboton, Archer, Odorozzi, Gomes, Torres, & either Lee or Beckham). That's $4-5 M. Arbitration eligible guys as many as 10 (Price, Niemann, Roberts, Joyce, Rodriguez, Fuld, Duncan. Hellickson, Ramos and Gimenez).  That could be $34-$35 M more.

They have 9 free agents. And have a $5 M option with no buyout on Yunel Escobar. Guys like Loney and Roberto Hernandez will want good money.  They have no wiggle room. Maybe 5-10 M if they non-tender a few players.

Where's the offense coming from? But their staff is loaded. 

Adding $12M in offense for $14M in pitching is not a bad deal for them.

They could have a lineup like 

Jennings CF

Zobrist LF

Myers RF

Longoria 3B

Trumbo 1B/DH

Kendrick 2B

Loney 1B/DH

Loboton C

Lee SS

And would then be able to cut Roberts at 4-5 M and not bring back Escobar at a $5M option. Their rotation would be solid even without Price.

Moore

Hellickson

Cobb 

Niemann

Hernandez/Odorrozi

Their pen would be solid and they'd have the money for a closer.

They may get better offers than what I am saying is possible, but two major league offensive starters for Price is not a huge price to pay.

For just two years of price? Ya I'd say that is substantial considering Kendrick is under club control for three more years and trumbo for four more

Kendrick isn't under club control. He signed an extension a couple years ago. The Angels owe him 9.35 million for the next too years (about 18.7 million). Trumbo is under club control, but he's going to be arb. eligible this offseason. He's probably going to end up making 5-6 million next year. I think both players are too expensive for Tampa bay to want them in a trade. If TB trades Price, they would want young prospects that aren't arb. eligible yet. 

Honestly, let's consider what headcases Pujols and Hamilton have become under current management and consider what a headcase Trumbo wouldn't be if he were on another team.

There's no way a guy like Trumbo should be swinging straight through fastballs down the pipe like he did the last 2 months of 2013.

Trumbo is being undervalued, because if traded he will go to a team that won't dick with him around, will give him some solid advice in the box, and he'll improve significantly.

I can only imagine the type of hitter Trumbo would be if he were on a team like St Louis or Detroit.

Jesus Christ, you act like he has been treated like a super utility guy. He played in 123 games at first base this year and a handful of games in the outfield, then the normal DH starts for a first baseman. His shitty pitch recognition has nothing to do with where he is playing in the field. I also don't understand your head case comments about Josh and Albert and how you are relating that to it somehow being the Angels fault. Those two were given EVERYDAY starts at their normal positions, if you ask many on here, too many starts at those positions. Those guys struggled not because the Angels dicked them around, but rather because they were hurt, declining, or had first year jitters. I seriously doubt Trumbo wasn't getting advice to get him out of his two month slump, he just wasn't capable of it. If anything, the team needs a shrink and not a more effective hitting coach for guys like Trumbo and Hamilton.

Trumbo isn't a finished product yet. His plate discipline and ability to recognize pitches will improve over time.

He is a level headed kid with the desire to keep improving his game. I think he has too much going on in his head when he's at the plate.

I believe many teams will see him as a work in progress which will increase his trade value. A player who will already give you 30+ HR's to build on.

Edited by Troll Daddy

I like Trumbo, and honestly don't want to see him traded, but to say he has zero trade value is a ridiculous notion.

I also like Calhoun though and see no spot for him if the Angels are all healthy. He's a patient high average, high OBP left handed hitter. The Angels need that. 

Furthermore, Cron is going to jump to SLC next year and while his numbers in the minors haven't equalled Trumbo's at the same level, he profiles as a similar hitter and will cost 500k.

If they can get good value in a trade for Trumbo, as well as getting Calhoun in the lineup and also believe Cron to be ready in 2015, isn't this the time to move him?

Cron and Grichuk are interesting, as well as Borenstein, even tho he's about 2 years away. We are filled at OF/1B/DH, which are what Cron & Grichuk are. They should be ready within a year or so and with a logjam at their positions, should one of them be dealt in package for an arm this offseason? Both have put up underwhelming numbers at Double-A, although Grichuk's power numbers were impressive at DS Park. Which one would have more trade value?