• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ripken

Mauch Won

Zero managerial experience. That is your level of qualifications for the position?

Saw a mention in MLBTR that Cal Ripken is starting to become interested in managing.  The Nationals would be an obvious fit for him considering the location but Arte needs to at least make a call if Sosh is relieved of his duties.

Advanced metrics are important but if your players aren't executing, you can't fix that with a calculator.   Between the contract situation and state of the farm, we have to make what we have perform better.  SABRE metrics and data analytics are appropriate for player acquisition and retention.   It also plays into in game management.  What it does not do is make talented players live up to their potential and the line of players who perform better when they leave the Angels is a sign Sosh is wasting talent.

Advanced metrics are important but if your players aren't executing, you can't fix that with a calculator.   Between the contract situation and state of the farm, we have to make what we have perform better.  SABRE metrics and data analytics are appropriate for player acquisition and retention.   It also plays into in game management.  What it does not do is make talented players live up to their potential and the line of players who perform better when they leave the Angels is a sign Sosh is wasting talent.

or it's a sign that a lack of scouting and data for proper preparation has limited the coaching staff and not given them the best chance to put the players in the optimum position for success. 

one of the things that I believe from the recent articles about Arte and the Angels org is the thinning out of a lot of the behind the scenes work force.  It's pretty easy to recognize by the media and anyone that is around the team, and it's one thing that actually shows on the field.  Defensive alignments, pitch sequencing to certain batters, how pitchers sequence our hitters etc.  All stuff that is noticeably lacking this year.  Agree it's hard to know whether the info is there and not being use vs. just not being available, but based on recent info, I would favor the latter.

What it does not do is make talented players live up to their potential and the line of players who perform better when they leave the Angels is a sign Sosh is wasting talent.

One thing that this organization has done well over the past several years, IMO, is deciding when to let players walk. Players who have been traded is a different discussion, but the trades were at least made to fill an immediate need.

or it's a sign that a lack of scouting and data for proper preparation has limited the coaching staff and not given them the best chance to put the players in the optimum position for success. 

one of the things that I believe from the recent articles about Arte and the Angels org is the thinning out of a lot of the behind the scenes work force.  It's pretty easy to recognize by the media and anyone that is around the team, and it's one thing that actually shows on the field.  Defensive alignments, pitch sequencing to certain batters, how pitchers sequence our hitters etc.  All stuff that is noticeably lacking this year.  Agree it's hard to know whether the info is there and not being use vs. just not being available, but based on recent info, I would favor the latter.

Very good point. There have been a couple of noticeable lacks in advanced scouting this year as well. Have we thinned out the scouting department lately, cuz it sure seems like it.

I think the lesson we should take home from this is that the manager should be behind what the GM is doing. Please no more egos or potential egos at the manager position.

I actually disagree.  I think it's important for respectful disagreement among the manager and GM as long as it's constructive.  You don't want a doormat at either spot.  But I get the gist of what you are saying.  Philosophically you want them on the same page.  If the gm goes out and gets a bunch of guys that don't fit a manager's inherent style, you might have some issues. 

If any ex-player could gain instant respect from current players, it would be Cal. He spent a lot of time over his career working with and along side a lot of egos, vets and young players. Few people probably know the game better than him and you would have to assume he learned a thing or two about managing over his career.

Surround him with a good good coaching staff, maybe a bench coach that is a SABRE guy, and I think he would make a good manager.

Zero managerial experience.

So what? Scioscia's got 10+ years of managerial experience and hows that working out for us?

Putting a guy out there who's willing to learn and make mistakes by taking risks might be exactly the type of manager this team needs.

I'm not saying I'm 100% for Ripken, but I could care less if a guy has managerial experience or not.