• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dipoto had a choice between Liriano and Blanton last offseason

Liriano: 2.53 ERA, 1.18 WHIP, 126 strikeouts in 121 innings

Blanton: 6.03 ERA, 1.59 WHIP, 104 strikeouts in 128.1 innings

Liriano signed for 1 year/1 million with an 8 million dollar TEAM option for 2014.

Blanton signed for 2 year/15 million with a 2015 team option for 8 million or a 1 million dollar buyout.

Wow.

Granted, Liriano would not be this good with the Angels because Butcher, but still. Inept decision making by this organization.

Before the season started were you clamoring to sign Liriano? 

It's not my job to be evaluating talent, but if you held a gun to my head before the season started and said I have to choose one of Blanton or Liriano, I would have absolutely chosen LIriano. The point is, Dipoto misses the boat far too often. Go ahead and use the "hindsight is 20/20" argument, but good GM's moves usually look good in hindsight...I haven't seen a move that looks good in hindsight as the Angels GM yet...been waiting patiently, now it's starting to piss me off that we have a GM who can't get anything right.

Can't really fault him on this one. Liriano was awful last year and has injury issues. I wasn't even looking at him as an arm I wanted the Halos to get, so I won't get mad over them passing on him

Still shouldn't have signed blanton though. Majority of us called that out immediately for being a dumb deal

the signing of Blanton was dumb.

JD not taking a chance on Liriano is in no way related.  He was trying to get reasonably priced innings and took a chance that the Halos defensive abilities would help Joe perform better than his career averages.  It was a reasonable proposition that failed miserably in that there was very little upside with Blanton and a big time downside which was fully realized. 

In fact, it's quite impressive that the absolute worst case scenario of just about every move he has made has been blown past to a new unexpected low. 

It's not my job to be evaluating talent, but if you held a gun to my head before the season started and said I have to choose one of Blanton or Liriano, I would have absolutely chosen LIriano.

Yeah, right.

I can't blame him for not signing Liriano. I for one did NOT want him signing Liriano at the time as well as many others here. Then again, signing Blanton seemed just as bad at the time but it turns out Liriano was actually worth it unlike we all thought and Blanton was garbage like we all thought.

Considering that no other team was in on Blanton, Dipoto had a chance to sign him to a 1 year, $500,000 minor league contract. Instead he signed him to a 3 year, $16M deal.  Liriano aside, this guy has some SERIOUS logical reasoning disabilities.

2 words.

Carlos

Marmol

I actually stated in an offseason thread last November/December that Liriano was someone that we might want to take a cheap flyer on to have competition for the #5 spot in the rotation.  I, also, was not overly fond of the decision to sign Blanton.  However, as a true Angels fan, I put on my optimism goggles and hoped for the best.  Things didn't pan out as hoped, but that is life.  Incidentally, hindsight is a learning tool but is 100% lame if one is using it for blame.

Saying Blanton has never been good is absolutely inaccurate. Whats worse than an injury prone position player? A pitcher who is injury prone. Liriano was this type of pitcher and hadn't been good for awhile. Pittsburgh had pitching options to where they could take a flyer and see if they struck gold. The Halos had serious holes to fill in the rotation which meant they weren't really in a place to make such a move. Blanton was looked at as an inning eater which was an issue last season with Haren and Santana. Don't see how you could realistically see Liriano being able to provide that role.

Not trying to support the Blanton deal at all, hated it at the time.