• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Sickels on the Downs-Rasmus trade

Read all about it. I like Sickels because he nicely balances scouting with sabermetrics and seems to have no clear agendas or biases. He likes the trade for both teams and gives a bit more about Rasmus' past. Evidently he missed quite a bit of time due to injury, which is why he's still in AAA at 26, and then couldn't maintain starting without further injury, which is why he is a reliever.

Anyhow, I feel a bit more intrigued by Rasmus now. Relievers often peak a bit later anyhow, so 26 isn't exactly old. I don't quite see him being a major league closer but he could be a good, even very good, middle reliever, as soon as next year. My view of the trade went from "very good for the Braves, mediocre for the Angels" to "very good for the Braves, good for the Angels."

AO, if you didn't read the article here are the relevant quotes:

"Cory threw in the mid-90s with a big-breaking curveball and a good changeup, but he was struck down with health problems immediately, missing all of 2007 and most of 2008 after having shoulder surgery."

"Although he doesn't throw as consistently hard as he did pre-injury, he has taken well to relief work and can still get up to 95 when kept within his limits. He varies speed well with his breaking ball and changeup, but the lost development time shows up in his command, which is spotty."

Thanks AJ, I was finally able to open the link.    As long as he can sit on 91-93 and hit mid 90s on occasion, that plus the curve and change up should make him effective enough in relief as long as the control is there often enough. 

He's also an additional reason that Jepsen's days are numbered, as Jepsen is 29 and has never put together a full solid season up here.