• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Tony Reagins GM History

gotbeer

And the book is now closed. 

Tony Reagins GM History: 
2008 Opening Day Payroll $119,216,333 Record 100-62 (Lost to Red Sox in ALDS
2009 Opening Day Payroll $113,709,000 Record 97-65 (Lost to Yankees in ALCS
2010 Opening Day Payroll $121,113,867 Record 80-82 (3rd in AL West
2011 Opening Day Payroll $141,755,666 Record 86-76 (2nd in AL West

Signings/Re-signings 
11/07 - Torii Hunter - 5 yr/$90 million 
12/08 - Juan Rivera - 3 yr/$12.75 million 
12/08 - Brian Fuentes - 2 yr/$17.5 million 
2/09 - Bobby Abreu - 1 yr/$5 million 
11/09 - Bobby Abreu - 2 yr/$19 million (extension
2/09 - Ervin Santana - 4 yr/$30 million (extension
12/09 - Hideki Matsui - 1 yr/$6 million 
12/09 - Fernando Rodney - 2 yr/$11 million 
1/10 - Joel Pineiro - 2 yr/$16 million 
12/10 - Scott Downs - 3 yr/$15 million 
12/10 - Hisanori Takahashi - 2 yr/$8 million 
5/11 - Russell Branyan - league minimum??? 
8/11 - Jered Weaver - 5 yr/$85 million (extension

Trades/Transactions 
10/07 - Chris Resop - Claimed off Waivers (Braves
11/07 - Orlando Cabrera & cash sent to White Sox for Jon Garland 
07/08 - Casey Kotchman and Steve Marek sent to Atlanta for Mark Teixeira 
08/09 - Justin Speier Released. Owed $5.25 million. 
08/09 - Alex Torres, Matt Sweeny and Sean Rodriguez sent to Rays for Scott Kazmir 
01/10 - TRADED GMJ to Mets for Brian Stokes 
07/10 - Joe Saunders, Rafael Rodriguez, Tyler Skaggs to Diamondbacks for Dan Haren 
07/10 - Sean O'Sullivan, Will Smith to Royals for Alberto Callaspo 
08/10 - Brian Fuentes to Twins for Loak Van Mil 
01/11 - Mike Napoli, Juan Rivera to Blue Jays for Vernon Wells 
06/11 - Release Scott Kazmir. Owed Approximately $9.5 million. 

Eddie Bane Draft Pick History: 
Notable Draft Picks 
2004 - (1-12)Weaver, (2, 3) None, (8) Sandoval, (14) Adenhart, (18, AWC-7) Trumbo, (40) Marek 
2005 - (1s-37) Bell, (2) Mount/Phillips, (3) O'Sullivan, (5) Mendoza, (9) Mosebach, (10) Bourjos, (50) Posey (Yes that Buster Posey), 
2006 - (1-25, AWC-3) Conger, (2) None, (8) Sweeney, (12, AWC-5) Walden, (19) Pettit, 
2007 - (1s-58) Bachanov, (2) None, (8) Reckling, (16) Tobin, 
2008 - (2, AWC-4) Chatwood, (3) Chaffee, (3s) Cone, (4) Boshiers, (13) Kohn, 
2009 - (1-24) Grichuk, (1-25, AWC-1) Trout, (1s-40) Skaggs, (1s-42, AWC-6) Richards, (1s-48) Kehrer, (2) Corbin 
2010 - (1-18, AWC-8) Cowart, (1-29) Bedrosian, (1-30) Clarke, (1s-37) Lindsey, (1s-40) Bolden, (2) Tillman, Calhoun (8-264)

Ric Wilson Draft Pick History: 
Notable Draft Picks 
2011 - (1-16) Cron, (3) Maronde, (4) Clevinger

Edited by gotbeer

Up until the Napoli-Wells trade many on here thought Reagins was a great GM!

I wasn't one of them. Looking over the transactions list, there was far more negative than positive. Most of the better decisions of the Reagins era were regarding who to let leave. The players brought in were the problem, and the groundwork for the current playoff drought was laid during this time. The Wells deal continues to adversely affect the team. I am still in disbelief that Reagins agreed to take on essentially his entire contract, with almost no relief from Toronto. The party is probably still on in the Blue Jays front office. This after he botched signing Adrian Beltre, and we haven't had a decent third baseman since Troy Glaus.

• 1 year later...

How can anybody still say the Wells deal is good? Didn't work out is an understatement. THey got such bad production from the guy that they decided they were better off getting rid of him(while paying the money). They are still paying him a little over $18 million this year and he's been off the team for 2 seasons now

All you had to do was take 2 seconds to look up Vernon Wells on Baseball-Reference.com and you would know that was a terrible transaction. 

Why the organization even took time to contemplate taking him on is probably the most mind boggling baseball trade I have ever seen in my life. 

Thank gawd the Yankees gave us a little relief from that crap. 

How can anybody still say the Wells deal is good? Didn't work out is an understatement. THey got such bad production from the guy that they decided they were better off getting rid of him(while paying the money). They are still paying him a little over $18 million this year and he's been off the team for 2 seasons now

I mean the face of the deal. I had no problem with it.

What do you mean by the face of the deal?  Vernon Wells was horrible 2 seasons before the Angels acquired him and his contract was arguably the worst in all of baseball given his production or lack there of.  He had a decent season at the age of 31 and luckily for Toronto they found someone dumb enough to not only take his contract off their hands but actually send players their way who weren't no name PTBNL minor leaguers in the process.    

Let me toss in my 2 cents:

Gary Mathews Jr. was never clutch. NEVER! The year before, when he was a Ranger, GMJr was up in the 9th with men on, 2 outs, and the Halos clinging. I remember to this day (don't ask me why) me saying, BALL GAME. My daughter, asked me how I knew. "This guy never hits in the clutch." 

GMJr swung at a pitch at his feet...strike 3. Halos Win!

Then we sign him...he made one great catch on Opening Day...but that was it...Mr. HGH. 

So we signed Torii Hunter, because the team predicted GMJr might be banned.

As for Vernon Wells - we all know that was orchestrated by Arte who felt spurned by Carl Crawford signing with Boston. The FACT that the Angels took his entire contract still makes the Toronto front office laugh. 

I'll always remember Dean Vernon Wormer Wells from him getting hurt...which allowed some young upstart to move up from AAA ball...

What do you mean by the face of the deal?  Vernon Wells was horrible 2 seasons before the Angels acquired him and his contract was arguably the worst in all of baseball given his production or lack there of.  He had a decent season at the age of 31 and luckily for Toronto they found someone dumb enough to not only take his contract off their hands but actually send players their way who weren't no name PTBNL minor leaguers in the process.    

Based on his past record, I thought the trade was good. I didn't think he would drop off the face of the earth. The last season with Toronto he was still productive and he was still relatively young.

He was still nowhere near worth what he was making based on his production, and was obviously only going to get worse/decline since he was on the wrong side of 30. His best baseball was behind him

it was a desperation move by the Halos after they missed out on Crawford and didn't sign Beltre. It was universally panned by the media the moment the deal was announced because there was no way he was going to produce enough value to match the money he was owed. Paying over $18 million in dead money this season for a guy who is currently out of baseball just further shows how terrible the decision was

In any case, that disaster is finally off the books after this season.

Based on his past record, I thought the trade was good. I didn't think he would drop off the face of the earth. The last season with Toronto he was still productive and he was still relatively young.

The year before the Angels acquired him he had his second best season at the age of 31 and based on OPS+ for his career through that point he was slightly above average but nowhere near worth what he was making as BB pointed out.  I remember before he signed that contract fans here (myself included) wanted to see the Angels go after him but once he signed it was massive sigh of relief considering what he got.  What's done is done obviously but there's no polishing the turd that was the Vernon Wells trade. 

Edited by Catwhoshatinthehat

I said it before. Reagins was a patsy. Lets give him credit for not signing Crawford, Lee and Soriano. We can all thank Sosh for the Napoli for Wells deal even though Reagins took the blame like a good company man. We are almost done paying for that deal although Napoli still has a great OBP.

Edited by Hamiltown

What do you mean by the face of the deal? Vernon Wells was horrible 2 seasons before the Angels acquired him and his contract was arguably the worst in all of baseball given his production or lack there of. He had a decent season at the age of 31 and luckily for Toronto they found someone dumb enough to not only take his contract off their hands but actually send players their way who weren't no name PTBNL minor leaguers in the process.

And was a product of hitting friendly Rogers Centre, as his road OPS usually left a lot to be desired.

It's amazing how every F'd move the Angels.mad3 8th blamed on Arte Moreno yes there is never any substantiation that Moreno dictated those moves.

Let me toss in my 2 cents:

Gary Mathews Jr. was never clutch. NEVER! The year before, when he was a Ranger, GMJr was up in the 9th with men on, 2 outs, and the Halos clinging. I remember to this day (don't ask me why) me saying, BALL GAME. My daughter, asked me how I knew. "This guy never hits in the clutch."

GMJr swung at a pitch at his feet...strike 3. Halos Win!

Then we sign him...he made one great catch on Opening Day...but that was it...Mr. HGH.

So we signed Torii Hunter, because the team predicted GMJr might be banned.

As for Vernon Wells - we all know that was orchestrated by Arte who felt spurned by Carl Crawford signing with Boston. The FACT that the Angels took his entire contract still makes the Toronto front office laugh.

I'll always remember Dean Vernon Wormer Wells from him getting hurt...which allowed some young upstart to move up from AAA ball...

More speculation on what people thinks what happen3d. Yet there is nothing concrete to prove the validity of the accusation. Reagins was the GM. He made the move. He takes the blame. Now if you can show me anything besides "everyone knows Scioscia calling the shots" of some type verification 5th an you view is nothing more than speculation.

I said it before. Reagins was a patsy. Lets give him credit for not signing Crawford, Lee and Soriano. We can all thank Sosh for the Napoli for Wells deal even though Reagins took the blame like a good company man. We are almost done paying for that deal although Napoli still has a great OBP.

More speculation on what people thinks what happen3d. Yet there is nothing concrete to prove the validity of the accusation. Reagins was the GM. He made the move. He takes the blame. Now if you can show me anything besides "everyone knows Scioscia calling the shots" of some type verification 5th an you view is nothing more than speculation.

Just like Dipoto recruited and signed both Pujols and Hamilton. He is the GM.

agree on the napoli thing, but give him credit for crawford? Not like he didnt try to sign him, he just screwed it up (and we got lucky)