• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rendon has high grade partial hamstring tear, no timetable but expects lengthy recovery

22 minutes ago, OregonLAA said:

Anyone else think it’s weird when guys go off for a couple years into a contract year then they get paid and can’t produce or stay healthy? Rendon. Jayson Werth. Josh Hamilton. Many more. Anyone know what would cause that? 

Dehydration 

25 minutes ago, OregonLAA said:

Anyone else think it’s weird when guys go off for a couple years into a contract year then they get paid and can’t produce or stay healthy? Rendon. Jayson Werth. Josh Hamilton. Many more. Anyone know what would cause that? 

Injuries are one thing, but as far as the guys who all of a sudden can"t produce it is previous success that can be their downfall. I was told by someone in MLB 40 plus years ago that when guys make it to free agency and then receive a contract of 4 years or more players have basically set themselves up for life. The contract money and being guaranteed a pension takes the anxiety out of their life. Now having loads of money, it is common for them to now worry about life after baseball. How to invest the money. Then they get married and have kids, start business projects, etc. Now the other stuff can become a distraction. Marriage and kids and business projects bring along new responsibilities making it harder to stay focussed. In other words, life sometimes gets in the way. 

25 minutes ago, Taylor said:

He'll either pull a Pujols, or he'll demonstrate integrity by doing the right thing by retiring.

He might retire but he won’t give up any of his money. Stasburg did that.

1 hour ago, OregonLAA said:

Aging curves.

Most players don’t hit free agency until their 30s, and most players start declining in their 30s.

45 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

No, unless he has head he is not walking away from the money.

If any baseball player were to walk away from the money, Rendon checks a lot of the boxes.

Retiring could mean him working out some deal a la Strasburg (although I don’t think Arte wants to defer money).

2 hours ago, OregonLAA said:

Psst…the answer is steroids

24 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Or age. 

He is 33, Strad. Really, that is not old at all. While none of us can know what ails him, I would venture to say a lack of personal conditioning, not properly stretching and keeping himself limber, and poor nutrition could be contributing factors. This is only my hypothesis, and I have no data to corroborate my hypothesis, but even though 33-years-of-age is not particularly young for a pro athlete, it is not old. He should be towards the tail part of his prime now. It is not as if he has a lot of mileage on his body over these past four seasons. The fact is that the Angels can't rely upon him to be available to contribute. It is unfortunate, but that money being paid to him just may have allowed the Angels to be able -- or willing -- to resign Ohtani had Rendon not been under contract. Maybe that is merely conjecture; I don't know. But it is time to cut bait.

Just now, EDinTUSTIN said:

He is 33, Strad. Really, that is not old at all. While none of us can know what ails him, I would venture to say a lack of personal conditioning, not properly stretching and keeping himself limber, and poor nutrition could be contributing factors. This is only my hypothesis, and I have no data to corroborate my hypothesis, but even though 33-years-of-age is not particularly young for a pro athlete, it is not old. He should be towards the tail part of his prime now. It is not as if he has a lot of mileage on his body over these past four seasons. The fact is that the Angels can't rely upon him to be available to contribute. It is unfortunate, but that money being paid to him just may have allowed the Angels to be able -- or willing -- to resign Ohtani had Rendon not been under contract. Maybe that is merely conjecture; I don't know. But it is time to cut bait.

Ok so you think he was on steroids. And players prior to PEDs fell off hard after age 31 or so. 

23 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Ok so you think he was on steroids. And players prior to PEDs fell off hard after age 31 or so. 

Granted, that is certainly true, Strad -- not the steroids, but players prior to PEDs. As to steroids, I have no idea whether or not he was. Like I said, my hypothesis is a lack of proper conditioning, nutrition, stretching properly and staying limber. I don't think I mentioned or inferred steroids. I actually was hoping that he was going to have a good season, to be honest. He was starting to play well both at the plate and on defense. Whatever ails him and makes him injury prone, I cannot say other than conjecture. I really think he should retire. He is set financially, and obviously his body is not going to hold up any longer to the rigors of major league baseball. As far as steroids, I can't say that I suspect it. He may be opinionated and be short-tempered, but he never struck me as a person who would cheat or be dishonest.

26 minutes ago, EDinTUSTIN said:

Granted, that is certainly true, Strad -- not the steroids, but players prior to PEDs. As to steroids, I have no idea whether or not he was. Like I said, my hypothesis is a lack of proper conditioning, nutrition, stretching properly and staying limber. I don't think I mentioned or inferred steroids. I actually was hoping that he was going to have a good season, to be honest. He was starting to play well both at the plate and on defense. Whatever ails him and makes him injury prone, I cannot say other than conjecture. I really think he should retire. He is set financially, and obviously his body is not going to hold up any longer to the rigors of major league baseball. As far as steroids, I can't say that I suspect it. He may be opinionated and be short-tempered, but he never struck me as a person who would cheat or be dishonest.

Some people’s bodies just aren’t built for the demands professional athletics put on them. It may not even be his fault