• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rendon has high grade partial hamstring tear, no timetable but expects lengthy recovery

4 hours ago, OregonLAA said:

He just happened to go from 150 games a season to 50? Age? Give me a fucking break. Someone explain to me why everyone hated Vernon Wells but defends Anthony Rendon!!! Is it the obvious Orange County answer?

You are ignoring his injury history prior to signing with the Angels. He played in 150 games twice in his career, 2014 and 2016.  He had two seasons of less than 100 games prior to signing with the Angels. He’s really never been consistently healthy. Obvious OC answer? How fucking pathetic. You also truly exaggerate the “everyone defends him”, he’s hated at a level where people question if he’s a worse signing than Hamilton or Albert. 

8 hours ago, Jason said:

Some people’s bodies just aren’t built for the demands professional athletics put on them. It may not even be his fault 

He's no Cal Ripken or Tom Brady, that's for damn sure!

This holds true for his character as well IMO.

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

You are ignoring his injury history prior to signing with the Angels. He played in 150 games twice in his career, 2014 and 2016.  He had two seasons of less than 100 games prior to signing with the Angels. He’s really never been consistently healthy. Obvious OC answer? How fucking pathetic. You also truly exaggerate the “everyone defends him”, he’s hated at a level where people question if he’s a worse signing than Hamilton or Albert. 

Well, one of those was 2013, which was his rookie year. If you add in the minor league games he played in, he was just under 140 that year-- so a full year. 

29 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Well, one of those was 2013, which was his rookie year. If you add in the minor league games he played in, he was just under 140 that year-- so a full year. 

I just looked it up and it was 131 games played that year. So he only missed a month worth of games. The point is he’s pretending he was consistently healthy (which he wasn’t) and now he’s not so he must have been on roids. 

25 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I just looked it up and it was 131 games played that year. So he only missed a month worth of games. The point is he’s pretending he was consistently healthy (which he wasn’t) and now he’s not so he must have been on roids. 

I was searching for any info on whether he was injured in 2013, or if it was just a factor of him being a rookie that led him to "only" play in 134 (not 131) games combined between the majors and minors, and found this interesting article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/nationals-journal/wp/2013/08/13/anthony-rendon-staying-fresh-in-his-longest-season/

Some excerpts:

"When this year began, Rendon did not know how refreshed he would feel in mid-August. Rendon, the Nationals’ rookie second baseman, has already played more baseball this year than any other season of his career. Between the majors and minors, Rendon has played 98 games this season, more than he had played in college or last year in his first, injury-plagued season as a pro.

Last year, Rendon broke his left ankle in the second game of the season at Class A Potomac and appeared in only 43 games during the season, plus another 22 in the Arizona Fall League. In 2011, Rendon played 63 games at Rice, 55 of those as a DH because of a strained shoulder muscle."

"The most important part of his routine may be the work he does on his ankles. At the end of the 2009 college season, Rendon tore ligaments in his right ankle, which required surgery to repair, and then re-injured the ankle when playing for Team USA. Rendon broke his left ankle last year. Now, he stretches his ankles and does calf raises to strengthen them.

“It’s something that’s going to be with me for the rest of my life,” Rendon said. “I’ve got to deal with it.”

"Rendon senses the physical toll – “my body knows,” he said – but he feels ready for the final quarter of the season. In the winter, to prepare for a long season, Rendon worked out under Houston-based trainer Ben Fairchild, a former college football player. Fairchild told him to prepare for a long year.

“Going through this now, I’m like, ‘He had a point,’ ” Rendon said."

Edited by jsnpritchett

24 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I was searching for any info on whether he was injured in 2013, or if it was just a factor of him being a rookie that led him to "only" play in 134 (not 131) games combined between the majors and minors, and found this interesting article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/nationals-journal/wp/2013/08/13/anthony-rendon-staying-fresh-in-his-longest-season/

Some excerpts:

"When this year began, Rendon did not know how refreshed he would feel in mid-August. Rendon, the Nationals’ rookie second baseman, has already played more baseball this year than any other season of his career. Between the majors and minors, Rendon has played 98 games this season, more than he had played in college or last year in his first, injury-plagued season as a pro.

Last year, Rendon broke his left ankle in the second game of the season at Class A Potomac and appeared in only 43 games during the season, plus another 22 in the Arizona Fall League. In 2011, Rendon played 63 games at Rice, 55 of those as a DH because of a strained shoulder muscle."

"The most important part of his routine may be the work he does on his ankles. At the end of the 2009 college season, Rendon tore ligaments in his right ankle, which required surgery to repair, and then re-injured the ankle when playing for Team USA. Rendon broke his left ankle last year. Now, he stretches his ankles and does calf raises to strengthen them.

“It’s something that’s going to be with me for the rest of my life,” Rendon said. “I’ve got to deal with it.”

"Rendon senses the physical toll – “my body knows,” he said – but he feels ready for the final quarter of the season. In the winter, to prepare for a long season, Rendon worked out under Houston-based trainer Ben Fairchild, a former college football player. Fairchild told him to prepare for a long year.

“Going through this now, I’m like, ‘He had a point,’ ” Rendon said."

So he has an injury history dating back to college. Not that it matters but I looked his games played on baseball reference and it had 98 games with the Nats and 33 minor league games across two levels. So I added those two numbers to get 131, not sure where the other two games came from nor does it matter. 

7 minutes ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

Can't wait to repeat this same song and dance again next year, and the year after that. 

Address 3B next off season and make him a bench player. It won’t seem consequential when he does get hurt again. 

28 minutes ago, Stradling said:

So he has an injury history dating back to college. Not that it matters but I looked his games played on baseball reference and it had 98 games with the Nats and 33 minor league games across two levels. So I added those two numbers to get 131, not sure where the other two games came from nor does it matter. 

98 in the majors, 33 with Harrisburg, 3 with Syracuse. 134 total.

Screenshot_20240427_082720_Chrome.jpg

But, yeah, my reason for posting that article was to show that his injury history dates back farther than most of us probably realized--and all of the early stuff was lower body injuries, which take their toll over time. 

7 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

But, yeah, my reason for posting that article was to show that his injury history dates back farther than most of us probably realized--and all of the early stuff was lower body injuries, which take their toll over time. 

Thus my droning on and on about his legs being the deciding factor for him moving forward.  Dude obviously has the hand speed, bat control, and eye, to continue to hit at high levels -- but if his legs are shot it won't freaking matter.

This was the concern when he signed. This is 100% on the Angels -- the dude's body was telling you what was up since his days at Rice.

12 hours ago, Stradling said:

Ok so you think he was on steroids. And players prior to PEDs fell off hard after age 31 or so. 

I thought the person who brought up steroids was saying players in the previous era used to stay durable longer into their 30s because of steroids.

1 minute ago, Taylor said:

I thought the person who brought up steroids was saying players in the previous era used to stay durable longer into their 30s because of steroids.

If HGH was something they could use people would be comparing him to Beltre and not comping him to the worst signings in MLB history. 

4 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

This is 100% on the Angels -- the dude's body was telling you what was up since his days at Rice.

He led the majors in RBI and helped the Nats win it all, attracting Arte's attention, who gave him an enormous contract. Another one of his shiny trinkets, all warning signs brushed off. Massive failure of due diligence.

1 hour ago, fan_since79 said:

He led the majors in RBI and helped the Nats win it all, attracting Arte's attention, who gave him an enormous contract. Another one of his shiny trinkets, all warning signs brushed off. Massive failure of due diligence.

There's another reason Arte liked him.

Probably won't see Rendon back at least until or after the All-star break. Kinda of crazy he goes down and the offense just falls apart. 

With the Depth that we have in the minors, I would not mind signing Segura to a milb deal and give him 2 to 3 weeks to see what he can do. 

3 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

Yes. Absolute recency bias. Clearly not enough due diligence. 

Arguably, he may be or become the absolute worst free agent signing in franchise history in terms of  production per dollars spent. At least till now. And it's really hard to envision him being any different if he is on the team for his entire contract. His body is too fragile now and his mindset is questionable. 

At least Pujols gave some decent  production over the span of his contract though it deteriorated dramatically in the later years.