• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Sandoval? What to do with him?

You can see that Sandoval puts a lot of pressure on himself to succeed. 

His drive is there, but when it doesn't go his way he beats the hell out of himself.

Last game he was constantly in his head, especially when outs turn into errors.

He needs to trust his pitches. And when it goes wrong, he can't beat himself up. I can't think of a guy who's pitching right now that I want to succeed more than him.

He's there. He's got it. He needs a 1 degree tweak in his mental game and then he is gold.

17 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

He might become similar to a couple of former Angels pitchers, Rudy May and Andy Hassler.  Decent players with us, but pitched better after a change of environment.  

Amazing how players play better when they are on better teams.

Again, we have to take into account context, particularly:

1. Where in the season ("its early")
  2. Where the Angels are at, in terms of contention (not good, but not disastrous...yet)
  3. Who would replace him (Daniel? Rosenberg?)

Ergo...give him another two or three starts. I've been saying he's toast since last year...I'm not sure if he's recoverable, to be honest, and if he is it is going to take time. But it isn't like he's blocking anyone, at least not until Dana is ready - and that likely won't be until Aug/Sept at the very earliest, if that. 

But if he continues with the suckage, sure, put him in the pen and give Daniel or Rosenberg some starts.

Sandy is pretty much pitching himself out of a job. It is sad because every time he goes out and just throws strike after strike he does really well, with low pitch counts. Problem is he has only been doing that about 15% of the time over the last year plus. He is supposedly our ace. If Wash is going to stand by his comments about producing or not being on the team, he should be replaced if there continues sucking in the next 2-3 games. If not, what Wash said won't happen, and anything he says will b e nothing more than flapping his jaws.

2 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

Sandy is pretty much pitching himself out of a job. It is sad because every time he goes out and just throws strike after strike he does really well, with low pitch counts. Problem is he has only been doing that about 15% of the time over the last year plus. He is supposedly our ace. If Wash is going to stand by his comments about producing or not being on the team, he should be replaced if there continues sucking in the next 2-3 games. If not, what Wash said won't happen, and anything he says will b e nothing more than flapping his jaws.

I think he is only the ace in the same fashion that Aaron Hicks is the leadoff hitter. Most, if not all, major publications would describe Detmers and Canning as having more potential.

19 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Again, we have to take into account context, particularly:

1. Where in the season ("its early")
  2. Where the Angels are at, in terms of contention (not good, but not disastrous...yet)
  3. Who would replace him (Daniel? Rosenberg?)

Ergo...give him another two or three starts. I've been saying he's toast since last year...I'm not sure if he's recoverable, to be honest, and if he is it is going to take time. But it isn't like he's blocking anyone, at least not until Dana is ready - and that likely won't be until Aug/Sept at the very earliest, if that. 

But if he continues with the suckage, sure, put him in the pen and give Daniel or Rosenberg some starts.

I think multiple times in this post you may have lost sight of the bigger picture. It doesn't matter who replaces Sandoval this year given the team is non-competitive, and Sandoval has more value to the Angels as a trade asset than as a bullpen pitcher.

You either believe in him as a #1-3 and keep him, or you keep him in the rotation until another team offers a compelling return. The long-term asset management strategy on Sandoval isn't impacted by any of the factors you mentioned.

2 hours ago, CaliAngel said:

You can see that Sandoval puts a lot of pressure on himself to succeed. 

His drive is there, but when it doesn't go his way he beats the hell out of himself.

Last game he was constantly in his head, especially when outs turn into errors.

He needs to trust his pitches. And when it goes wrong, he can't beat himself up. I can't think of a guy who's pitching right now that I want to succeed more than him.

He's there. He's got it. He needs a 1 degree tweak in his mental game and then he is gold.

How do you know this? Is it possible that he is just mediocre at pitching?

it's going to be his ability to control/command the strike zone. If he's going to be walking 3 to 5 guys per start, its going to be a struggle.

The stuff is still good, actually looks better than last year. The command/control not so much. 

Personally I think he just needs to slow down. take a breath, pause beacuase it looks to me like he starts to rush and be out of sync with his mechanics.

Both Canning and him this is going to be a prove it type of year. 

3 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

I once believed he was on the cusp of being a consistently dominant starter.  It’s impossible for me to have that viewpoint any longer unless something changes. I am afraid I was just wrong about him.

That was most of us 

53 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

it's going to be his ability to control/command the strike zone. If he's going to be walking 3 to 5 guys per start, its going to be a struggle.

The stuff is still good, actually looks better than last year. The command/control not so much. 

Personally I think he just needs to slow down. take a breath, pause beacuase it looks to me like he starts to rush and be out of sync with his mechanics.

Both Canning and him this is going to be a prove it type of year. 

In addition to not being able to get through adversity, I also wonder if the pitch clock is affecting him like it seems to have affected Suarez.