• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels lose to Rays on sloppy night for Patrick Sandoval

ANAHEIM — Patrick Sandoval had another off night, with the only solace being that he made it through five innings with the Angels still having a chance to win the game.

They didn’t.

Sandoval, the Angels’ Opening Day starter, has lost two of his three starts this season, including allowing four runs in the Angels’ 6-4 loss to the Tampa Bay Rays on Tuesday night.

It was a disappointing night for the Angels after an encouraging start, with Mike Trout putting them on top with a two-run homer in the first inning.

It was Trout’s sixth homer in the first 11 games of the season, setting an Angels record. Trout’s homer was a two-run shot, the first of his homers that wasn’t a solo homer.

Otherwise, though, the Angels didn’t do much at the plate. They scored on an error in the fourth, and then didn’t even get another runner into scoring position until they were down to their last out and down by three in the ninth.

The Angels (6-5) couldn’t take Sandoval off the hook for the loss, even though it was a one-run game when he threw his final pitch. Sandoval didn’t make it out of the second inning in his Opening Day loss, but then he pitched well in a victory. This time he gave up four runs in five innings, lifting his ERA to 6.57.

The down side was his control, with three more walks.

It wasn’t entirely his fault, though.

Sandoval appeared to get squeezed at times by plate umpire Bill Miller, including on a pitch that could have been the third strike on Curtis Mead to lead off the second. Mead ended up walking, sparking a two-run inning. The first of those runs came on a play that was initially ruled an out at the plate, but overturned on review.

Sandoval was also called for a balk when he had José Siri picked off in the fourth. And he was a victim of a misplay when right fielder Mickey Moniak failed to catch a fly ball after a long run just inside the foul line, leading to another run.

Despite all of that going against him, Sandoval still managed to get through five innings with the Angels in the game. They trailed 4-3 when he threw his 101st and final pitch in the fifth inning.

The hitters, though, couldn’t do anything else, and the bullpen allowed the lead to grow.

José Cisnero gave up a homer to Isaac Paredes in the seventh. His fly ball was barely inside the left field pole. Cisnero has allowed seven runs in 4⅓ innings so far this season.

In the eighth, Hunter Strickland gave up a run when José Caballero singled, stole second and scored on a two-out blooper into right.

Luis Rengifo drove in a run in the bottom of the ninth, and the Angels had the potential winning run at the plate when pinch-hitter Miguel Sanó was called out on strikes to end it.

More to come on this story.

View the full article

38 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Why is Sandoval getting called for a balk framed as part of what wasn't "entirely his fault" and part of "all that going against him?" It was clearly an egregious balk, which is 100% on him. 

He was handed a two-run lead right out of the gate before he threw his first pitch. He gets no pass from me. Yes, the umpire was inconsistent, but good pitchers learn to adapt to that. The problem is he's not a good pitcher.. I like Wash, but I am now interested in knowing if he plans on following through with his admonition that players not pulling their weight won't be playing and won't be up here. There are several not pulling their weight right now. Maybe that bus route between farm stops can start putting rubber to the road and start making some deliveries to the various stops along the route.

1 hour ago, EDinTUSTIN said:

He was handed a two-run lead right out of the gate before he threw his first pitch. He gets no pass from me. Yes, the umpire was inconsistent, but good pitchers learn to adapt to that. The problem is he's not a good pitcher.. I like Wash, but I am now interested in knowing if he plans on following through with his admonition that players not pulling their weight won't be playing and won't be up here. There are several not pulling their weight right now. Maybe that bus route between farm stops can start putting rubber to the road and start making some deliveries to the various stops along the route.

Sandy is a good SP. Almost any team would love him as their 4 or 5. Problem is he's our 1. 

1 hour ago, Erstad Grit said:

Sandy is a good SP. Almost any team would love him as their 4 or 5. Problem is he's our 1. 

Okay, I can agree somewhat with that, but even with a four or five, you want someone that will at least keep you in the game more times than not. He hasn't in quite some time.

43 minutes ago, EDinTUSTIN said:

Okay, I can agree somewhat with that, but even with a four or five, you want someone that will at least keep you in the game more times than not. He hasn't in quite some time.

Correct. He’s been inconsistent for about his last 20 starts. He started off pitching well last year then things unraveled and he’s been unreliable since then. 

I dont expect domination out of Sandy but it burns me up inside when he pouts and stomps around the mound when stuff dont go his way. Walks happen and guess what erros happen to you dont see Neto kick second base when Sandy gives up a walk or 

Trout throw his glove when he makes an error. Suck it up and move on next man is up get his ass out get over it you dam head case lol 

9 hours ago, EDinTUSTIN said:

He pitched before the home run by Trout.  

I am interested to see if Wash is all bark or if he will stand by his words. We will see in the next couple weeks. 

Honestly I've accepted the fact that this is what Sandy is as a pitcher. When he's on, he is on but when he is off, you  just have to hope he goes 5 and keeps you in the game. He's basically Snell 2.0 with out the Ace label. I am more concerned about the middle Bullpen arms than him. Sandy did what I need him to do and gave us 5 and kept us close. 4-3 game is a lot different than 5-3 or even 6 to 3 game that happened. 

I feel like Sandy is hesitant of the batters making contact, so he pitches around the strike zone, and his arm is usually inconsistent accuracy-wise, and it gets him in trouble.

So he falls behind in the count.

Then when he HAS to throw a strike, the batters are waiting for it. 

The lead off walks to start the inning really have to stop, especially the inning after we get a lead.

If he gives up a base hit, that's fine with me, and it's a lot different, because at least they had to earn it. But more often than not the batters will get themselves out, so he has to learn to let them.

Didn’t know where to put this, but I wonder if they DFA Strickland before today’s game.

He’s pitched the last two games, so he’s unavailable today. Would allow them to add a fresh arm.

8 hours ago, Stradling said:

Correct. He’s been inconsistent for about his last 20 starts. He started off pitching well last year then things unraveled and he’s been unreliable since then. 

That’s where the mental part kicks in.   He just seems to not be able to overcome the little things since 2023.