• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Metrics for Success first 20 games

Time to get on record as to your definition of a successful start.  List your Top 10 metrics for success.

Here's mine:

• 10-10
  • Rendon still available and hitting .270 with 2 HR
  • Trout hitting .300 with 4 dingers
  • Sandoval 3-1   era 3.25 
  • Starters ave. 6 IP per game
  • Wash tossed at least once.
  • Attendance ave. 30,900
  • 3rd place or better and less than 4 games out.
  • (2) or less blown saves
  • 20 stolen bases*

*adjusted down

Ok

IMG_6075.jpeg

Edited by Swordsman78

Split the 1st 6 on the road vs Baltimore and Miami, win 4 of 6 at home vs Boston and Tampa Bay, win 4 of 10 on the road vs Boston, Tampa Bay, and the Reds. Yes, I know that's 22 games, but I like to think of complete series. If they can do this (be at .500 through the 1st 22 games), that portends real well for the future, considering that 16 of the 1st 22 are on the road.

At least 8-12.

No more than 2 trips to the injured list to the opening 26 man roster.

Starters averaging 5.0 innings.

No more than 3 blown saves.

Trout hitting at least .270 with 3 homers and 10 RBI's.

No scandals.

Rendon hitting at least .250 with 7 RBI's.  OBP exceeding .325.

(You guys do realize that only 6 of the first 20 games are at home, right?  This month is totally brutal.)

First 20 games

Stay healthy

Starters pitching into the fifth inning more times than not (they won’t be fully extended their first couple starts)

Executing what Washington wants, throwing strikes, playing good defense, running the bases well. 

@Swordsman78 your expectations are unrealistic. No teams starting pitchers averaged 6 innings last year and again to expect that while still getting stretched out won’t happen.  Additionally no team had 194 stolen bases last year which is what 25 stolen bases in 20 games comes out to.  It’s been 15 years since that was accomplished. 

Be relatively Healthy.

Be playing smart baseball.

Make the easy plays.

Get the young guys on the field - I'd rather see Adell and Moniak than Hicks/Sano more often than not.

I'm not concerned w the record/stats for the first 20. The Angels didn't get any favors with the front end of the schedule. Obviously it would be nice to be w/in striking distance, but it's a marathon and my win expectations are low anyway.

I was concerned Washington was going to fall back on the veterans rather than play Moniak and Adell. This is the bite the bullet year and suffer growing pains, not give veterans one more chance. Now when those two get scattered playing time they won't have any chance to develop any playing rhythm, either defensively or at the plate. 

This is not a good team.  Not even an average team.  It'll be a bottom 5-10 of the league result.  You know what -- i'm perfectly good with that.  Signing some expensive FAs would not have mattered.  This team needs to go full youth movement (which they appear to be doing) and rebuild with an aim for contending in 2-3+ years.  Build the scouting (US & Int'l) and development departments.  Sell some vets or guys not in the LT plans at the TDL.  Get some good, high draft picks and international signings.  If that's the plan....i'm pretty happy about it and excited for the LT.  

Now about that Owner -- GHTFO and sell this team ASAP....and then we'll really be in good shape going forward.

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

I was concerned Washington was going to fall back on the veterans rather than play Moniak and Adell. This is the bite the bullet year and suffer growing pains, not give veterans one more chance. Now when those two get scattered playing time they won't have any chance to develop any playing rhythm, either defensively or at the plate. 

This team is giving off Royals/Rockies vibes. Bad team with lots of boring vets and no-upside journeymen taking up space. Frankly if they win more than 5 of the first 20 that'll be a big success. 

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

First 20 games

Stay healthy

Starters pitching into the fifth inning more times than not (they won’t be fully extended their first couple starts)

Executing what Washington wants, throwing strikes, playing good defense, running the bases well. 

@Swordsman78 your expectations are unrealistic. No teams starting pitchers averaged 6 innings last year and again to expect that while still getting stretched out won’t happen.  Additionally no team had 194 stolen bases last year which is what 25 stolen bases in 20 games comes out to.  It’s been 15 years since that was accomplished. 

The 1911 New York Giants stole 347 bases.   That was with a slow track, smaller bases, and players without the advantage of modern conditioning and training.

The 2023 Reds stole 190 bases.  I would like to think that with Wash emphasis on being aggressive on the bases, and with Trout getting the green light, the Halos would approach this figure.

The 1975 Angels stole 220 bases

The only thing I didn't factor in was that the players need to get on base initially.   So you are correct, and I will revise my metric down to 20 steals (1 Per game), which is in line with Wash's emphasis on being more aggressive on the bases, and would certainly be a key component to manufacturing runs with a line up with  limited power.

19 minutes ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

This team is giving off Royals/Rockies vibes. Bad team with lots of boring vets and no-upside journeymen taking up space. Frankly if they win more than 5 of the first 20 that'll be a big success. 

I think you have to go what with what gives you the best chance to win this early in the season. They at least have to pretend to compete. Hicks/Sano might not be on the team in June. Adell and Moniak will get plenty of at bats. 

3 hours ago, Swordsman78 said:

The 1911 New York Giants stole 347 bases.   That was with a slow track, smaller bases, and players without the advantage of modern conditioning and training.

The 2023 Reds stole 190 bases.  I would like to think that with Wash emphasis on being aggressive on the bases, and with Trout getting the green light, the Halos would approach this figure.

The 1975 Angels stole 220 bases

The only thing I didn't factor in was that the players need to get on base initially.   So you are correct, and I will revise my metric down to 20 steals (1 Per game), which is in line with Wash's emphasis on being more aggressive on the bases, and would certainly be a key component to manufacturing runs with a line up with  limited power.

Ok, so we agree that no team in the last 15 years have averaged what you expect the Angels to do in their first 20 games.  The team doesn’t have limited power.  They have power up and down the line up.  They have a number of guys that can steal 15-20 bases.  They don’t have what the Reds have with a guy that could steal 80 bases, or even 60, or 50, or 40.  If the Angels had every starter steal 20 (which would be career highs for almost all of them) they’d fall short of what you “expect” them to do.  But thank you for going back 123 years to try to prove your point.  

8 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Ok, so we agree that no team in the last 15 years have averaged what you expect the Angels to do in their first 20 games.  The team doesn’t have limited power.  They have power up and down the line up.  They have a number of guys that can steal 15-20 bases.  They don’t have what the Reds have with a guy that could steal 80 bases, or even 60, or 50, or 40.  If the Angels had every starter steal 20 (which would be career highs for almost all of them) they’d fall short of what you “expect” them to do.  But thank you for going back 123 years to try to prove your point.  

i feel like tungsten arm o'doyle needs some kind of a shout-out in this discussion.

On 3/27/2024 at 8:09 PM, Swordsman78 said:

Time to get on record as to your definition of a successful start.  List your Top 10 metrics for success.

Here's mine:

• 10-10
  • Rendon still available and hitting .270 with 2 HR
  • Trout hitting .300 with 4 dingers
  • Sandoval 3-1   era 3.25 
  • Starters ave. 6 IP per game
  • Wash tossed at least once.
  • Attendance ave. 30,900
  • 3rd place or better and less than 4 games out.
  • (2) or less blown saves
  • 20 stolen bases*

*adjusted downIMG_6052.jpeg

The first three I like. 10-10 shows they'll be competitive. They play the Orioles x 3, Boston x 6, Marlins x 3, TB x 7 and Cincinnati once in the first 20. 

They are 0-1, so If they manage to go 4-2 against the Red Sox and win at least 3 against the Rays, then at least once against the other three they'll get to 10-10. Hopefully they can be 11-9 or better, but yesterdays shellacking has me less than confident.

Trout and Rendon being healthy and putting up those numbers would be great.

For Sandoval's ERA to be 3.25 it means in the next three starts, he'd have to average at least 5.2 per start, and give up less than 4 runs combined.

Starters need to average 6.1 over the next 19 to get to a 20 game 6 IP average. The rest, who knows. But the pitching is not gonna be close to what you hope it is. Sadly.

21 hours ago, Stradling said:

First 20 games

Stay healthy

I agree, if this doesn't happen Wash should execute the rotation!

3 hours ago, Adam said:

Trout crushes and the Angels lose a lot of games so just maybe the two sides can agree to a deadline trade this year

This is my dream. I want to see Trout on the Phillies winning near his home town. There is no hope for him here.