• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Metrics for Success first 20 games

1 hour ago, Lhalo said:

This is my dream. I want to see Trout on the Phillies winning near his home town. There is no hope for him here. 

I just want the Angels to be intentionally shitty so they're forced to go young and maybe give us a chance to be good again before the decade is over. 

37 minutes ago, Adam said:

I just want the Angels to be intentionally shitty so they're forced to go young and maybe give us a chance to be good again before the decade is over. 

That’s the other half of my dream. There’s also the part where I’m being chased and can’t seem to run fast but we don’t have to bring that up. 

18 hours ago, Lhalo said:

That’s the other half of my dream. There’s also the part where I’m being chased and can’t seem to run fast but we don’t have to bring that up. 

Hopefully the guy chasing you isn't feeling randy. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2024 at 5:57 AM, Stradling said:

First 20 games

Stay healthy

Starters pitching into the fifth inning more times than not (they won’t be fully extended their first couple starts)

Executing what Washington wants, throwing strikes, playing good defense, running the bases well. 

@Swordsman78

So far 9-9

Injuries to Silseth and Stephenson 

Pitched 5+ innings 12 of 18 starts. 

Not throwing strikes but also right at league average in walks allowed.

I wouldn’t call it good defense, but only 8 errors, AL average is 11.  

Running the bases well? Eh.  20 stolen bases (10 the last two games), which has us 2nd in the AL. Caught stealing is 6, which is second most in the AL with AL average being 3.  

Certainly not great but not bad either. Bottom line for me is if we stay healthy and Canning and Sandoval pitch better we are about a .500 team. It’s weird that in a week we will be done with Baltimore, Tampa and Boston for the year. 

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

So far 9-9

Injuries to Silseth and Stephenson 

Pitched 5+ innings 12 of 18 starts. 

Not throwing strikes but also right at league average in walks allowed.

I wouldn’t call it good defense, but only 8 errors, AL average is 11.  

Running the bases well? Eh.  20 stolen bases (10 the last two games), which has us 2nd in the AL. Caught stealing is 6, which is second most in the AL with AL average being 3.  

Certainly not great but not bad either. Bottom line for me is if we stay healthy and Canning and Sandoval pitch better we are about a .500 team. It’s weird that in a week we will be done with Baltimore, Tampa and Boston for the year. 

You need to remember to take into consideration the tier 6 teams factor, climate change, and that Mercury is in "lemonade" or some other bullshit.  

On 3/30/2024 at 8:50 AM, Adam said:

Trout crushes and the Angels lose a lot of games so just maybe the two sides can agree to a deadline trade this year

They're winning too much. Hopefully they start to drop games and Trout stays hot and healthy.

At this point I think we've gotten a good idea of the offense;

1. Sano, has shown he deserves the starting DH role and hitting in the middle of the line-up. ideally 5th or 6th

2. Hicks, not so much. Out of Moniak, Adell and Hicks, Adell deserves to get most of the time with what he brings and ability to do alot more on the bases.  I think Moniak can still get his bats split between the 3 spots and DH. While Hicks is just wasting a roster spot. 

Ideally they play about 5 games per week; lets Say Adell starts 3, and  Moniak starts the other 2 in RF, and than in the other 2 games Trout and Ward could DH.

3. I'd Move Drury Up to the 3-hole, followed by Ward, Sano and Drury.

At the moment I see this team being 81-81 

9 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

You need to remember to take into consideration the tier 6 teams factor, climate change, and that Mercury is in "lemonade" or some other bullshit.  

i blame a lot of it on the whole taylor swift - travis kelce situation.

2 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

At this point I think we've gotten a good idea of the offense;

1. Sano, has shown he deserves the starting DH role and hitting in the middle of the line-up. ideally 5th or 6th

2. Hicks, not so much. Out of Moniak, Adell and Hicks, Adell deserves to get most of the time with what he brings and ability to do alot more on the bases.  I think Moniak can still get his bats split between the 3 spots and DH. While Hicks is just wasting a roster spot. 

Ideally they play about 5 games per week; lets Say Adell starts 3, and  Moniak starts the other 2 in RF, and than in the other 2 games Trout and Ward could DH.

At the moment I see this team being 81-81 

Not sure what you're saying on point 3 there.

I still think it's early to commit to too much on Sano.

3 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

First off, this post makes no sense moving Drury to the 3 hole then placing him behind Ward and Sano.

Second, Drury is struggling with a  .204/.283/.296/.580 slash line. Maybe you were thinking he was playing at last season's level. He isn't.

On 4/18/2024 at 5:57 PM, Vlad27Trout27 said:

3. I'd Move Drury Up to the 3-hole, followed by Ward, Sano and Drury

21 hours ago, Blarg said:

First off, this post makes no sense moving Drury to the 3 hole then placing him behind Ward and Sano

It is obviously a move to keep Hicks out of the batting order.

I think if the Angels can hang around .500 for the first half of the season we'll be in business. Any team can get hot. All it takes for things to click into place for teams. It usually takes about 30-60 games for teams to figure it all out. Perspective is very very important. Right now the Angels are in the middle of the pack in contrast to the rest of the league. The ALW also might be the most interesting divisions this year. Ron Washington knows what he's doing. Just be patient. 

1 hour ago, angelsfan100 said:

I think if the Angels can hang around .500 for the first half of the season we'll be in business. Any team can get hot. All it takes for things to click into place for teams. It usually takes about 30-60 games for teams to figure it all out. Perspective is very very important. Right now the Angels are in the middle of the pack in contrast to the rest of the league. The ALW also might be the most interesting divisions this year. Ron Washington knows what he's doing. Just be patient. 

As Angels fans, we’ve been patient for well over a decade 

2 hours ago, angelsfan100 said:

while i appreciate your optimism, this team has too many holes to be a serious contender, even for a wild card spot. it's a year for growth and improvement from the younger players so that a year from now, there are fewer holes and they might attract some quality free agents along the way.

i'd consider this season a huge success if they finished .500.

On 3/27/2024 at 8:26 PM, BTH said:

11-9 record or better.

No more than 2 leads blown (and subsequently games lost) in the 7th inning or later.

No more than 2 games where two runs or less are scored.

Health.

9-11

2 leads blown (and games subsequently lost) in the 7th or latter: 4/5 vs. BOS and 4/16 vs. TB.

6 games where two runs or less are scored.

Stephenson and Silseth hurt, but otherwise OK.

The amount of games where the offense no shows is a problem.

2 hours ago, BTH said:

9-11

2 leads blown (and games subsequently lost) in the 7th or latter: 4/5 vs. BOS and 4/16 vs. TB.

You were pretty spot on with some important focus areas 

2 hours ago, BTH said:

9-11

"9-11" 

Oh No Eating GIF by Declan McKenna

Posted (edited)
On 3/27/2024 at 8:09 PM, Swordsman78 said:

Time to get on record as to your definition of a successful start.  List your Top 10 metrics for success.

Here's mine:

• 10-10
  • Rendon still available and hitting .270 with 2 HR
  • Trout hitting .300 with 4 dingers
  • Sandoval 3-1   era 3.25 
  • Starters ave. 6 IP per game
  • Wash tossed at least once.
  • Attendance ave. 30,900
  • 3rd place or better and less than 4 games out.
  • (2) or less blown saves
  • 20 stolen bases*

*adjusted down

Ok

Rendon didn't achieve the BA or HR metric but he did beat the "still active" metric by 1/3 of an inning 

Edited by Swordsman78

20 hours ago, Tank said:

while i appreciate your optimism, this team has too many holes to be a serious contender, even for a wild card spot. it's a year for growth and improvement from the younger players so that a year from now, there are fewer holes and they might attract some quality free agents along the way.

i'd consider this season a huge success if they finished .500.

It’s tough for fans to be realistic.