• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels’ Anthony Rendon hoping to avoid more injuries in his ‘job’

19 minutes ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

Any sane person should prioritize family over work. But that still doesn't mean you don't take pride in your work. Rendon comes across as someone who doesn't, since he seems to make it. a point to reiterate how much disdain he has for it. 

By disdain you mean he answered the question asked of him. 

5 hours ago, Pancake Bear said:

The fans who bitch about this are really stupid people. 

Dude has literally always been this way. It didn't matter when he was one of the best 3B in the game and winning a WS. It doesn't matter that he's helping guys like O'Hoppe out with his swing (probably others, too). People suddenly care because (1) he's injured, (2) not performing well, (3) not lying about baseball being a job. Apparently people would rather he pretend to love the game. Rendon isn't the childish one, the fans upset about this are. Pathetic.

Yes he's always been this way. However my contention is that this attitude is far less problematic in ones 20s. In his 30s to remain healthy and to minimize/slow decline, I believe Rendon needs to activate a discipline and drive that he currently hasn't shown signs of. 

Harper willing to learn 1B and come back from injury so aggressively would be an example of a drive I don't think Rendon has. 

12 hours ago, Taylor said:

I respect a man who puts his kids and marriage before his job. He's right; it's just a job. But he's not a software programmer or ad salesman. Millions of strangers from around the world watch his "job" for entertainment. More than that, so many kids dream of playing Major League Baseball but only a fraction of a percent ever get that chance.

He could show some humility and gratefulness for getting to do something very, very few people ever get to do — AND still prioritize his family life. He makes more than enough money to allow for quality time with wife and kids all throughout the year.

Words of truth, Taylor. Also, most people don't pay a lot of their hard-earned money to watch software programmers , ad salesmen, and the average Joe's and Jane's do their jobs. They do, however, pay -- and pay a lot these days -- to watch baseball players from the team that they are fans of, do their jobs, and they expect those players to do that to the very best of their abilities. He gets paid handsomely to ply his trade. Does he work harder than the average person who has to bust their hump to just make ends meet? No. I don't disparage him making that huge salary, but #$#$#, have some appreciation and perspective and just what that job entails and how blessed he is to have that opportunity. 

Imagine being paid $35M a year and doing a good job of it isn't a top priority.

As Alden Gonzalez said, it isn't either/or. And despite what Scotty said, it isn't Jesus vs. Arte.

Of course family comes first, but most of us stiffs who make in a year what Rendon makes in a few innings of a single game are still able to be engaged parents and spouses and work hard.

2 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

As Alden Gonzalez said, it isn't either/or. And despite what Scotty said, it isn't Jesus vs. Arte.

Of course family comes first, but most of us stiffs who make in a year what Rendon makes in a few innings of a single game are still able to be engaged parents and spouses and work hard.

Bingo. No shit family comes first…but a deal is a deal. He has an out, just retire. He won’t take it because just like most things…he’s full of shit.

36 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

This is what bugs me the most. There are millions of parents who work just as hard doing thankless jobs for a fraction of what Rendon makes. 

8 minutes ago, Taylor said:

This is what bugs me the most. There are millions of parents who work just as hard doing thankless jobs for a fraction of what Rendon makes. 

And wouldn't have a job if their performance was a bad as Rendons.

And those are the same people spending their hard earned money to watch their Angels team struggle largely in part because of the guy who is taking up 20% of the payroll while producing 0% on the field.

Edited by AngelsFanSince86

Not everything has to be one-sided.

Lots of things said about Rendon have been fair to say.

But it is also fair to say that being a guy on a Hall of Fame trajectory and then just crushed by a sudden inability to stay on the field, along with a very high level of criticism attached to his contract (what do people expect, for him to not accept the guaranteed money?). . . would very likely create a frustration level in most normal people that would result in them saying stuff out of anger, bitterness, irritation, and self-preservation.

I am not asking anybody to love this guy right now or love what he says.  But could we at least feather in a bit of honest perspective?

How would anyone feel if, almost instantly, out of your control, your entire existence in baseball went from celebrated loved HOF-trajectory, World Series hero to “biggest bust of all time” and “payroll cancer” and “fragile p*ssy”?

My guess is that would wear in most normal people and have them get a bit jaded and say stuff that would easily be criticized.

Rendon is a big boy and he will have to deal with it.

But maybe let’s at the very least acknowledge that it probably hasn’t been a fun ride for him and what has happened to him physically would almost certainly cause most people to get pretty prickly.

Yeah, he makes bank.  And that is just so easy to focus on to make him the bad guy.  But unless you think the guy is faking injury or quitting, hating on this guy because of the money he makes is silly.  Baseball contracts are guaranteed.  Thats just the way it is.

I hope he gets healthy and finds a better place to be physically and mentally.

He said some stuff that is annoying.  But I bet lots of normal people would too if their whole career reputation turned on a dime out of their control and they were suddenly characterized as THE epitome of failure.

Edited by Dtwncbad

5 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Not everything has to be one-sided.

Lots of things said about Rendon have been fair to say.

But it is also fair to say that being a guy on a Hall of Fame trajectory and then just crushed by a sudden inability to stay on the field, along with a very high level of criticism attached to his contract (what do people expect, for him to not accept the guaranteed money?). . . would very likely create a frustration level in most normal people that would result in them saying stuff out of anger, bitterness, irritation, and self-reservation.

I am not asking anybody to love this guy right now or love what he says.  But could we at least feather in a bit of honest perspective?

How would anyone feel if, almost instantly, out of your control, your entire existence in baseball went from celebrated loved HOF-trajectory, World Series hero to “biggest bust of all time” and “payroll cancer” and “fragile p*ssy”?

My guess is that would wear in most normal people and have them get a bit jaded and say stuff that would easily be criticized.

Rendon is a big boy and he will have to deal with it.

But maybe let’s at the very least acknowledge that it probably hasn’t been a fun ride for him and what has happened to him physically would almost certainly cause most people to get pretty prickly.

Yeah, he makes bank.  And that is just so easy to focus on to make him the bad guy.  But unless you think the guy is faking injury or quitting, hating on this guy because of the money he makes is silly.  Baseball contracts are guaranteed.  Thats just the way it is.

I hope he gets healthy and finds a better place to be physically and mentally.

He said some stuff that is annoying.  But I bet lots of normal people would too if their whole career reputation turned on a dime out of their control and they were suddenly characterized as THE epitome of failure.

All that writing to answer your own question.

He will make $35 million this year. If he doesn’t want to deal with it retire and quit crying you have to do your “job” 

2 minutes ago, TroutField said:

All that writing to answer your own question.

He will make $35 million this year. If he doesn’t want to deal with it retire and quit crying you have to do your “job” 

So you didn’t get the point.  OK.

7 minutes ago, TroutField said:

Sounds like a bunch of excuses made for an entitled millionaire. 

No more like an honest attempt to understand what has actually happened that could explain his words/behavior.

And the “entitled millionaire” comment is just weird.  Just sounds like unhealthy money envy to me.

Edited by Dtwncbad

It's annoying that he's leaning into it. Just say some generic shit and don't become a headline. Talk about the team and coming together, playing with a chip on their shoulder etc. It's not that hard to say some canned shit and move on. Him coming out firing like this shows he's still a bit unhinged mentally. 

5 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Is your contention that he isn't trying or doesn't care? Lot of people are saying that and it feels like people seeing what they want to see. I see zero evidence that he doesn't care or isn't trying. If anything I see the opposite. 

3 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

No more like an honest attempt to understand what has actually happened that could explain his words/behavior.

And the “entitled millionaire” comment is just weird.  Just sounds like unhealthy money envy to me.

Hahahah yeah that’s what it is. Has nothing to do with him crying about doing a job he is paid $35 million a year to do because he wants to spend time with his family 😂😂

my point is if it’s too much, retire. 

2 minutes ago, TroutField said:

Hahahah yeah that’s what it is. Has nothing to do with him crying about doing a job he is paid $35 million a year to do because he wants to spend time with his family 😂😂

my point is if it’s too much, retire. 

Just show me where he said playing baseball and having a family is “too much.”  He didn’t.  You have a wonderful imagination.

1 hour ago, Pancake Bear said:

Is your contention that he isn't trying or doesn't care? Lot of people are saying that and it feels like people seeing what they want to see. I see zero evidence that he doesn't care or isn't trying. If anything I see the opposite. 

I'm only commenting on what he said, which is that that baseball isn't a top priority. No speculation needed, unless you think he's lying.