• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2024 Minor League Stats, Scouting, Updates, and Reports Thread

55 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Thought this was interesting for how bad our farm system was consider. We're honesty just a few War's away from being in the middle of the crop and also that 82% Majors rate! With a solid year from Ward, Detmers, Neto and Nolan, we could be in the middle of the pack. 

We could realistically double that this year with good years to average years from Neto, Schanuel, Detmers, Ward, Thais. 

1 hour ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Thought this was interesting for how bad our farm system was consider. We're honesty just a few War's away from being in the middle of the crop and also that 82% Majors rate! With a solid year from Ward, Detmers, Neto and Nolan, we could be in the middle of the pack. 

The A's rank 7th on this list with 29.6 WAR, 31.2 of it comes from Matt Chapman...   

So, the 7th "best" team on this list has had 15 number one picks, has only seen 5 of them reach the majors and of those 5, everyone not named Matt Chapman combined for a negative WAR.  Neat.

Something, something..  crapshoot.  Makes Perry's recent success look pretty good.

14 hours ago, Dave Saltzer said:

Watching Rada and Dana, can anyone explain to me how neither of them are top 100 prospects? 

I have seen both of them on top 100 lists, generally ranked in the top 90-100 range.

But none of them have gotten unanimous recognition from all the different sources yet.

Maybe this year they'll break out into the top 50 range, seeing as their reputations are at least somewhat increasing.

Kinda like how Quero used to be fringe top 100, had another great year, and became a top 50 guy for a bit.

On 2/29/2024 at 2:05 AM, Dave Saltzer said:

Watching Rada and Dana, can anyone explain to me how neither of them are top 100 prospects? 

I know it's a weak argument but I think it all comes down to simply being in the Angels' system. Scouts aren't going to pay as much attention to these guys. Unless they're in a "good" system they just get overlooked. I mean, how many of these guys actually scout A ball players in the Angels' system? 

12 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I know it's a weak argument but I think it all comes down to simply being in the Angels' system. Scouts aren't going to pay as much attention to these guys. Unless they're in a "good" system they just get overlooked. I mean, how many of these guys actually scout A ball players in the Angels' system? 

To be fair, Angel fans likely haven't seen everyone else's Radas, and Danas either -- the lack of insight is a two way street in this case.

I've seen both guys get talked up, even hyped up.  Only thing making a top 100 list would change is you'd have people start comparing them to superstars before they have done anything or calling them out as busts when they don't perform to whatever preconceived set of numbers they came up with in their heads.

Both guys are talented, and in Rada's case he's shown an advance ability to turn his skills into performance.  Everything else is noise.

On 2/21/2024 at 7:20 PM, Vlad27Trout27 said:

People really need to look at this chart a little closer. 

When you see how much of the total WAR is attached to one player for most teams it really brings to light what "success" in the draft looks like.  The Indians have been touted as this development machine and yet they have actually been outperformed by the Angels (in the first round), when you consider they had 5 more first round choices.

Prospect lists are littered with high risk high reward tools guys. It's extremely common to see these lists dominated by hyped recent draftees and Latin American guys dominating in lower levels. Had Rada been held to the complex league and dominated the way he did the DSL the year before, there would be less concern about his lack of power if for no other reason because physically he would have been in a more age appropriate league and chances are there would be more hype..  

Like @tdawg87 mentions, it's unlikely most of these guys making lists actually go to low A to see guys, in large part because it's less common to have guys skip complex league and go to Low A (recent draftees) -- you'll see more of those guys in High A.

Just be happy the Angels have a plus plus defensive CFer who walked 73 times in Low A while being 4.1 years young than the league's average player.  Only thing I'm upset about is that they don't have three more guys doing the same thing.

In regards to Rada and Dana, when you perform well in the low minors, it only means something to evaluators if you're a first or second round pick, or are a million dollar bonus baby. 

Rada and Dana do not fit that description. 

They're beginning to generate back end Top 100 buzz right now, but if they can replicate their performanes in high A (technically Dana already did), you'll see them get into the 80-100 range on most lists. If the Angels are aggressive and they do it in AA, they'll be in that 50-70 range.

And I actually agree with evaluator skepticism. I wish they would apply it equally to other organizations and prospects, but they aren't wrong when they cast doubt on Rada's ability to impact the ball, or Dana's ability to throw strikes with consistency. Because the harsh truth is, but every Kenny Loftin or Juan Pierre outcome among Rada type prospects, there's a hundred you've never heard of that never made it.

And that's where Rada is right now. 

15 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

People really need to look at this chart a little closer. 

When you see how much of the total WAR is attached to one player for most teams it really brings to light what "success" in the draft looks like.  The Indians have been touted as this development machine and yet they have actually been outperformed by the Angels (in the first round), when you consider they had 5 more first round choices.

Prospect lists are littered with high risk high reward tools guys. It's extremely common to see these lists dominated by hyped recent draftees and Latin American guys dominating in lower levels. Had Rada been held to the complex league and dominated the way he did the DSL the year before, there would be less concern about his lack of power if for no other reason because physically he would have been in a more age appropriate league and chances are there would be more hype..  

Like @tdawg87 mentions, it's unlikely most of these guys making lists actually go to low A to see guys, in large part because it's less common to have guys skip complex league and go to Low A (recent draftees) -- you'll see more of those guys in High A.

Just be happy the Angels have a plus plus defensive CFer who walked 73 times in Low A while being 4.1 years young than the league's average player.  Only thing I'm upset about is that they don't have three more guys doing the same thing.

The thing I like right now is for once, there isn't a hurry to rush either guy. I have seen a few people penciling Dana into the 2025 rotation. Why? For crying out loud, can we have a good pitching prospect on a normal trajectory for once? Same for Rada. "He could lead off in 2025 or 2026 at the latest." No. Just let these guys develop, Rada some power and Dana some pitching skill/throwing skill. Rada is on track to be a stud, but our outfield is filled with guys (including 4th OF types) for several years. 

I didn't like Eppler, but the thing that stuck with me is how he talked about prospects. He always said you don't have to wonder when they're ready--they knock on the door and they knock loudly (then Covid happened and he had to choose between a year off for Adell or pull him up early). Let Rada, Dana, Kent, Mederos, Urena, Bachman and Joyce develop and tell us when they're ready. 

And I should clarify, both are Top 100 in my book, particularly Caden Dana.

And I think Dana deserves more buzz because he technically fits the evaluator criteria for hype. He went to Bosco. Yeah it's East Coast but it's basically Harvard-Westlake or Bishop Gorman, and Dana inked a million-five signing bonus which is fairly typical for 2nd round picks. 

So he should be Top 100. I don't see much excuse.