• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2024 Minor League Stats, Scouting, Updates, and Reports Thread

It's hard to imagine a worse farm system than the Angels.  I don't know other teams farm system -- so can't say for sure.  But really, when you get down to the bottom 3-5 teams, it's an argument of whose poo stinks worse.

The good news is turning it around can be done very quickly and has been done many times by teams.  A very good 1-2 drafts and the right trades (when selling) can turn your farm fortunes around VERY quick.  That's where not selling on Ohtani was such a monumental mistake.  That also seems to have impacted some of the drafting -- being more conservative with picks.  I hope the mindset changes starting with this next draft and trades during the season (sellers).  It's time for the Angels FO/ownership to see reality and where they are compared to the league.  

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

To be fair, when you aggressively promote your best prospects and they graduate to the big leagues, your system is going to look pretty barren.

Don't get me wrong, the system is crap regardless, but it's produced some guys the last couple years.

The draft a HS pitcher in later rounds and over slot him may end up being a sound strategy ultimately.

Caden Dana is already fast tracking his way towards the bigs.

1 hour ago, Angels in 2030 said:

It's hard to imagine a worse farm system than the Angels.  I don't know other teams farm system -- so can't say for sure.  But really, when you get down to the bottom 3-5 teams, it's an argument of whose poo stinks worse.

The good news is turning it around can be done very quickly and has been done many times by teams.  A very good 1-2 drafts and the right trades (when selling) can turn your farm fortunes around VERY quick.  That's where not selling on Ohtani was such a monumental mistake.  That also seems to have impacted some of the drafting -- being more conservative with picks.  I hope the mindset changes starting with this next draft and trades during the season (sellers).  It's time for the Angels FO/ownership to see reality and where they are compared to the league.  

I totally agree. But, this is the Angels. They will probably sign one or two free agents before spring training and give up one or two draft picks. Arte just doesn't give a flying fxxk about drafting and developing players. It's all about the big name free agents.

We've talked and talked about having a larger presence in foreign markets.  

In reality, they've gotten almost nothing.  They're getting more volume but outside of quero there are very few players who have or will end up legit prospects from the last several years.  

Suarez is the only one on the current roster and there's a good chance he doesn't make the team.  

To me, this is the big difference between the Angels and a lot of other systems.  It's either the inability to identify talent or just not having access to the 'premium' pool of players on foreign soil.  Or it's that they still just really suck at development.  Probably a combo 

2 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

To be fair, when you aggressively promote your best prospects and they graduate to the big leagues, your system is going to look pretty barren.

Don't get me wrong, the system is crap regardless, but it's produced some guys the last couple years.

As has been said by a few of the smart people on here and now by me, if our farm had Neto, Schanuel, O’Hoppe, Silseth, Joyce along with Rada, Kerry and Dana, the farm ranking would be tough half, maybe top 10.  But since they’ve been promoted the Angels suck at drafting.  

11 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

We've talked and talked about having a larger presence in foreign markets.  

In reality, they've gotten almost nothing.  They're getting more volume but outside of quero there are very few players who have or will end up legit prospects from the last several years.  

Suarez is the only one on the current roster and there's a good chance he doesn't make the team.  

To me, this is the big difference between the Angels and a lot of other systems.  It's either the inability to identify talent or just not having access to the 'premium' pool of players on foreign soil.  Or it's that they still just really suck at development.  Probably a combo 

Is the Clay Daniel fiasco still hindering them to this day?

Edited by Angel Oracle

51 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

I totally agree. But, this is the Angels. They will probably sign one or two free agents before spring training and give up one or two draft picks. Arte just doesn't give a flying fxxk about drafting and developing players. It's all about the big name free agents.

This is still pretty dumb. There isn’t a big name free agent left in this class and there was only one to begin with.  He also didn’t match the offer of the biggest free agent probably ever. Snell, Bellinger, Chapman, Montgomery don’t sell tickets, just like Rendon or Upton weren’t ever going to sell tickets. He signs expensive guys that they think will help win games. 

25 minutes ago, Stradling said:

As has been said by a few of the smart people on here and now by me, if our farm had Neto, Schanuel, O’Hoppe, Silseth, Joyce along with Rada, Kerry and Dana, the farm ranking would be tough half, maybe top 10.  But since they’ve been promoted the Angels suck at drafting.  

LOL ok bud.  Keep dreaming if you think that would be top 10-15.  Full on homer...but i get it, it's a fan site.  But try staying in reality on occasion.  If you want to look at it different, evaluate teams on 23 or 25 and below talent.  It's not good.  A few solid players, sure.  Stars/elite players -- no way.  Certainly well below par compared to the league.  

Plus, you could play that same game with every team.  They all have guys advancing and/or traded.  

29 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Listen you little shit.

2 hours ago, Angels in 2030 said:

LOL ok bud.  Keep dreaming if you think that would be top 10-15.  Full on homer...but i get it, it's a fan site.  But try staying in reality on occasion.  If you want to look at it different, evaluate teams on 23 or 25 and below talent.  It's not good.  A few solid players, sure.  Stars/elite players -- no way.  Certainly well below par compared to the league.  

Plus, you could play that same game with every team.  They all have guys advancing and/or traded.  

So you think 15 teams have guys that will be better prospect group than Neto, Schanuel, O’Hoppe, Joyce, Silseth, Rada, Kerry and Dana? Bullshit.  15 teams?  Haha, no way.  I get that you don’t get it, because you want to be “that guy” but that’s fine.  

9 minutes ago, Stradling said:

So you think 15 teams have guys that will be better prospect group than Neto, Schanuel, O’Hoppe, Joyce, Silseth, Rada, Kerry and Dana? Bullshit.  15 teams?  Haha, no way.  I get that you don’t get it, because you want to be “that guy” but that’s fine.  

You’re right.  I should believe you, random AW fan poster, instead of every single non-Angel related baseball expert/publication/etc.   I don’t know what I was thinking.  

16 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

You uh, you see the issue here, right?

He doesn’t. That isn’t even the real issue.  My premise is the Angels would have a top 10-15 farm if they weren’t as aggressive with their promotions and the guys I mentioned were still in the minors.  He wants to tell me I am wrong because our farm is 28th right now without those guys.  Also he is just here to be miserable.  

10 minutes ago, Stradling said:

He doesn’t. That isn’t even the real issue.  My premise is the Angels would have a top 10-15 farm if they weren’t as aggressive with their promotions and the guys I mentioned were still in the minors.  He wants to tell me I am wrong because our farm is 28th right now without those guys.  Also he is just here to be miserable.  

I addressed that.  Look at talent under 25 or 23.  Where do the Angels stand objectively without your Angel glasses on.  I’m open to hearing I’m wrong.  I want to be wrong.  show me a respected person/publication showing we have top 15 young talent (25 under).   

who is out best young guy? Where in the league would our top young guy rank objectively compared to all of baseball under 26 (or even 23 less)?  Objectively. 

Even if I’m right, it doesn’t mean going forward these Angel guys won’t turn out better than hype others or guys starting their young careers off better.   But right now, we are behind.  I’m sorry if being “that guy” (ie the realistic objective guy) bothers you.  Maybe you’d prefer everyone be rah rah angels are the best soccer moms here.  

This is the issue with rankings. How extensively do you think scouts have looked at the Angels' system as opposed to, say, the Yankees? Or Baltimore?

It's a catch 22. The "good" systems get more attention and therefore higher rankings. The bad ones do not. 

I think people here probably know more about this system than fucking ESPN does. This site has a dedicated group who legitimately follow our prospects in depth. Of course we'll be biased, but the overall knowledge is going to be much higher. Do you think ESPN or MLB have even seen Caden Dana pitch? Most likely they just recycle what other outlets are saying.

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

Not saying fangraphs is anything special in terms of rankings but they assign a dollar value based on the normal prospect scale.  

They're currently ranked last with an org value of $39m and Schanuel, Soriano, Bachman, Joyce are still ranked.  O'hoppe, Neto, and Silseth are not.  If we're feeling generous and give then 55, and 50 and 50 grades it would move them to 22nd.  And that assumes the orgs they're passing haven't aggressively promoted guys as well.  

At the end of the day though, there's a solid core of players under the age of 28 at the major league level and this year will tell us a lot about them that we don't know yet.  

It's not about the farm though.  The way this org accumulates and cultivates talent in general isn't done with sustainability in mind.  

I'm gonna make a mountain out of a molehill here but the Trey Cabbage trade is something they should be doing a ton of.  Constructing a JV team in AAA is what they should have been doing every year.  Even if it costs them a few extra mil.  

How many prospects have they lost out on at the trade deadline?  By either not trading guys away, trading for guys when they have no shot, or getting an upper minors return because it might help next year?

How many prospects have they lost out on by grabbing 4 crap players at moderate expense when they could have spent that on 2 guys with short term deals that would have had a much better chance to have actual value at the deadline.  

Trying to create a yearly aberration is not a realistic plan.  Turn a series of small wins into a cumulative net positive over a period of years.  

50 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

This is the issue with rankings. How extensively do you think scouts have looked at the Angels' system as opposed to, say, the Yankees? Or Baltimore?

It's a catch 22. The "good" systems get more attention and therefore higher rankings. The bad ones do not. 

I think people here probably know more about this system than fucking ESPN does. This site has a dedicated group who legitimately follow our prospects in depth. Of course we'll be biased, but the overall knowledge is going to be much higher. Do you think ESPN or MLB have even seen Caden Dana pitch? Most likely they just recycle what other outlets are saying.

5 years ago, Baltimore had a bottom 5 system and the White Sox had a top ranked system.