• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2024 Minor League Stats, Scouting, Updates, and Reports Thread

Most pitchers are beginning their bullpen routines right about now. Everyone is different and every off-season is different depending on free agency or if there's the WBC or Olympics. I know many here already know this, but for those that aren't familiar, this is the typical schedule for pitchers. 

October - Maybe pitching, maybe not depending on playoffs. If not, there's a ramp down, meaning light stretching and playing catch but no bullpens. 

November - Rest. No catch. Don't even pick up a ball. Light workouts. Focus on recovery. 

December - Regular workout routine, or if you're going to put weight on that you'll inevitably lose throughout the season, start gaining, focus on mobilization. Still no catch or bullpens. 

January - Ramp up workouts, make your gains, start playing catch. At middle or end of the month, get in a bullpen session once every 2-3 days, 10-20 pitches at 70% but make sure you don't develop any bad habits at this lower effort which is common.

February - Daily playing catch, more consistent bullpens but really pay attention to how body recovers or feels afterward to avoid injury. Still only 60-70%.

March - Expect to pitch at 100% once a week, along with one full rest day per week. The other five days, light/regular bullpens and tinkering with grips and new pitches. Focus on your timing because the pitch clock is here to stay. 

April - Season starts. 

15 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

That's...interesting.

Yeah most figured he'd play 2B/3B and a little corner outfield. But if you're able to hit, teams will accept subpar defense as a catcher, as evidenced by Matt Thaiss, who is more average defensively than actually bad. Given his familiarity with the position being a bullpen catcher for three years in college, Rios' bat doesn't need to be great as many LF/3B are. It simply needs to be good enough to offset any defensive deficiencies he may have as a catcher. And given the numbers he put up prior to the draft this year, I think he can do it. 

2 hours ago, Second Base said:

Yeah most figured he'd play 2B/3B and a little corner outfield. But if you're able to hit, teams will accept subpar defense as a catcher, as evidenced by Matt Thaiss, who is more average defensively than actually bad. Given his familiarity with the position being a bullpen catcher for three years in college, Rios' bat doesn't need to be great as many LF/3B are. It simply needs to be good enough to offset any defensive deficiencies he may have as a catcher. And given the numbers he put up prior to the draft this year, I think he can do it. 

At least Thais caught in college. I believe Rios was drafted as a catcher, but never played there. This means he will more than likely be in the minors for at least 4 years to learn the position.

2 hours ago, greginpsca said:

At least Thais caught in college. I believe Rios was drafted as a catcher, but never played there. This means he will more than likely be in the minors for at least 4 years to learn the position.

Rios played a lot of catcher in college. In the bullpen. 

On 1/5/2024 at 4:12 PM, Second Base said:

Throwing caught base stealers %.... of course there is a few things that can affect it. Pitchers ability to hold runners and if you work on your picks (as a pitcher). And the new rule last year.

But, a lack of arm strength, bad foot work, and putrid throwing mechanic's don't help either.

1 hour ago, mmc said:

Terrible news for us

That actually doesn't really affect the Angels. They have a contract with the organization, not the ballpark. For example, the Angels A Ball affiliate used to be the Cedar Rapids Kernels. When they went their separate ways, the Kernels didn't cease to exist. They worked out a deal with the Twins. 

I'm hoping the Angels leave the Northwest League altogether soon, but it doesn't seem like that will be the case. Since minor league restructuring, trans have much less say over where their affiliates play, and most of the West Coast teams use the NWL for high A. 

2 minutes ago, Second Base said:

That actually doesn't really affect the Angels. They have a contract with the organization, not the ballpark. For example, the Angels A Ball affiliate used to be the Cedar Rapids Kernels. When they went their separate ways, the Kernels didn't cease to exist. They worked out a deal with the Twins. 

I'm hoping the Angels leave the Northwest League altogether soon, but it doesn't seem like that will be the case. Since minor league restructuring, trans have much less say over where their affiliates play, and most of the West Coast teams use the NWL for high A. 

Yeah but that contract goes until the end of the decade

At least there’s this…

”A vital part of this extension involves the team and city working together to complete stadium upgrades, bringing the award-winning ballpark up to compliance with new MLB player facility standards. This offseason, those updates include expanding both clubhouses – home and visitors. Larger locker rooms, updated training facilities, and new nutrition areas will be incorporated. Additionally, a new weight room facility will be constructed onsite behind the home clubhouse. Fans and community members can look forward to even more stadium upgrades in the following years.”

3 hours ago, BTH said:

At least there’s this…

”A vital part of this extension involves the team and city working together to complete stadium upgrades, bringing the award-winning ballpark up to compliance with new MLB player facility standards. This offseason, those updates include expanding both clubhouses – home and visitors. Larger locker rooms, updated training facilities, and new nutrition areas will be incorporated. Additionally, a new weight room facility will be constructed onsite behind the home clubhouse. Fans and community members can look forward to even more stadium upgrades in the following years.”

How about creating a way to make the park not so pitching friendly?

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

I've stepped back quite a bit from following the Angels' prospects the last couple of years, but reading today on catcher Dario Laverde from Taylor Blake Ward gave me some hope that we have an internal replacement for Quero.

image.png

I love that OBP for an 18 year-old.

Seems to have pretty decent speed for a catcher, judging by the triples and SBs.

Intrigued to see how he does in A ball this coming season.

Edited by Angel Oracle

On 1/9/2024 at 7:52 PM, BTH said:

At least there’s this…

Unless they take the entire stadium and rotate it while simultaneously installing wind shields none of those upgrades will really impact the biggest issues associated with Gesa Stadium - its negative impact on how the park plays.

On 1/6/2024 at 8:11 AM, Chuck said:

Not only does Alberto Rios have a great baseball name, he has a very project able frame for power and a great attitude. I would love to have a team filled with players like that who will do whatever it takes to win. we need a more winning attitude on our team and we need leaders who will push players to achieve more than we thought possible (Erstad comes to mind), and we need players who will do and execute whatever is necessary to win. 

I really hope that Rios makes it. It's nice to see good people succeed.