• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Zach Plesac (1 year, $1 million) - DFA Kolarek

mmc

2 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

So you think signing a scrub no-one wanted for 900K and then weeks later removing him from the 40 man roster for a 1M player no-one wanted communicates a wisdom in leadership and a actual plan? 

Does 900k limit them? No of course not. However this move is indicative to me of this clown show we call the Angels. 

I think it shows they’re willing to spend on bullpen depth, nothing deeper, and as has been the case in many instances this offseason, you’re dramatically being over-negative

4 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

So you think signing a scrub no-one wanted for 900K and then weeks later removing him from the 40 man roster for a 1M player no-one wanted communicates a wisdom in leadership and a actual plan? 

Does 900k limit them? No of course not. However this move is indicative to me of this clown show we call the Angels. 

These are the types of moves big spending teams make when absolutely no one wants to play for them.

20 minutes ago, Lazorko Saves said:

Meanwhile over on the DodgersWin.com board, they're probably saying, "Holy crap, the Angels basically bought themselves a 41st roster spot for only 900k!  What a genius move.  We doesn't our GM do stuff like that?"

No they are talking about what Dodgers will give up for Cease and how much will Hader cost plus what number Tesocar Hernandez will have.

1 hour ago, Erstad Grit said:

So let's overpay for a scrub so nobody else in the league would want him and the bloated contract we gave him. 

The major league minimum is $740k. They paid Kolarek all of 10% more than that, it is not an over pay.

Plesac, with an actual MLB resume, got all of 28% over the minimum. This also is not an over pay. 

These aren't cash strapped moves, this is flooding the roster with potential high upside arms for pennies in today's market. 

The more I think about what Perry is doing with the pen, the more it's growing on me.  His best job so far was 2021 getting Iglesias on a salary dump along with Watson and Cishek coming at the end of spring.  Don't get me wrong, the pen wasn't great by any means and lacked much fire power after Iglesias but it was cheap and effective.  

He went the route of paying more for the pen in 22 and 23 and that didn't really work either.  

Let's be honest, this pen is essentially f'd if they don't get a lot of high quality innings from Estevez, Joyce, Soriano and probably Bachman.  And I'm personally hoping Daniel Settles in as the long man.  I think Garcia is a 50/50 shot.  Cimber less than 50/50 and then you've got the group of guys I consider the 'tryout' pool.  Guys who are young and untested, guys with decent arms who've never done much to date, or guys who've had the occasional or rare mlb performance that you might catch lightning in a bottle with.  

My first choice right now would be another Iglesias type move but I haven't researched if there's even a player like that out there.  

1 hour ago, Docwaukee said:

The more I think about what Perry is doing with the pen, the more it's growing on me.  His best job so far was 2021 getting Iglesias on a salary dump along with Watson and Cishek coming at the end of spring.  Don't get me wrong, the pen wasn't great by any means and lacked much fire power after Iglesias but it was cheap and effective.  

He went the route of paying more for the pen in 22 and 23 and that didn't really work either.  

Let's be honest, this pen is essentially f'd if they don't get a lot of high quality innings from Estevez, Joyce, Soriano and probably Bachman.  And I'm personally hoping Daniel Settles in as the long man.  I think Garcia is a 50/50 shot.  Cimber less than 50/50 and then you've got the group of guys I consider the 'tryout' pool.  Guys who are young and untested, guys with decent arms who've never done much to date, or guys who've had the occasional or rare mlb performance that you might catch lightning in a bottle with.  

My first choice right now would be another Iglesias type move but I haven't researched if there's even a player like that out there.  

I'm glad you are convinced they plan to use Plesac in a relief role...

2 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

What is amazing is that Cishek finished 2021 with an 132 ERA+.

But then, results don't matter.

In my opinion the Mets are having an impressively shrewd and solid winter. Just a bunch of cheap but decent little adds. Would’ve liked to have had Manaea if it weren’t for Anderson and Suarez occupying so much left-handed depth.

Edited by totdprods

5 hours ago, totdprods said:

In my opinion the Mets are having an impressively shrewd and solid winter. Just a bunch of cheap but decent little adds. Would’ve liked to have had Manaea if it weren’t for Anderson and Suarez occupying so much left-handed depth.

Will Suarez ever get back to 2021-2022 version?

Or is he one of those guys F’d up by the pitch clock?

Edited by Angel Oracle

6 hours ago, totdprods said:

Pitchers like Manaea are not found at the dollar store. 

17 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Will Suarez ever get back to 2021-2022 version?

Or is he one of those guys F’d up by the pitch clock?

I don't think they should have ever moved him back to rotation after he started pitching well in the pen a couple years back. Having multiple inning capability, being left-handed, not really having the typical relief profile...think that all worked in his favor.

20 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I don't think they should have ever moved him back to rotation after he started pitching well in the pen a couple years back. Having multiple inning capability, being left-handed, not really having the typical relief profile...think that all worked in his favor.

Except that 34 of his 45 appearances in 2021-2022 were in the rotation, including 20 of 22 in 2022.

Edited by Angel Oracle

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Except that 34 of his 45 appearances in 2021-2022 were in the rotation, including 20 of 22 in 2022.

Yeah, I know. He wasn't that good starting in '19-'20 (definitely a byproduct of being so young/rushed) and then when he kicked the year off in the pen, he pitched well in '21. He was solid the remainder of the year and in 2022 starting, but the wheels came off in '23 (likely due to injury more than anything). 

Just not sure he has the staying power in the rotation. The results were there for awhile, but I don't know that he can maintain it long-term, especially if shoulder issues were starting to creep in last year. 

image.png

I think having him as a multi-inning lefty in the pen works well. Keep him from going through a lineup more than once, gives a different look versus high-velo pen arms.