• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Zach Plesac (1 year, $1 million) - DFA Kolarek

mmc

• mmc changed the title to Angels sign Zach Plesac (1 year, $1 million) - DFA Kolarek
Just now, Stradling said:

It says he was outrighted to SLC, so I’m assuming he’s basically a $900k minor leaguer?

Yes, he's still controlled by the Angels, but still just seems like a weird move.  Why even bother signing him to a guaranteed contract if he'll get bumped off the roster by a marginal guy like Plesac?

1 minute ago, Erstad Grit said:

Sign a guy for 900k and then a few weeks later drop him off the 40 man roster for a guy who cost 1 million. 

The Angels showing their master planning and vision. 

BTH has a more positive spin on the moves.  I theoretically get this take, but it still seems weird to me.

6 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Yes, he's still controlled by the Angels, but still just seems like a weird move.  Why even bother signing him to a guaranteed contract if he'll get bumped off the roster by a marginal guy like Plesac?

If multiple teams are offering minor league deals and you want to make sure you get the player, you have to go the extra mile

1 minute ago, mmc said:

If multiple teams are offering minor league deals and you want to make sure you get the player, you have to go the extra mile

I guess.  Will make more sense if there is some larger plan going on and more significant trades/signings are made. 

7 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I guess.  Will make more sense if there is some larger plan going on and more significant trades/signings are made. 

Right. If we're spending 200M on Snell then fine, spend the 900k to get the depth you want I guess. 

If we're cash strapped then its a stupid move

24 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Right. If we're spending 200M on Snell then fine, spend the 900k to get the depth you want I guess. 

If we're cash strapped then its a stupid move

It would be a stupid move if they are cash strapped.

But I don’t think they’re cap strapped, based on the amount of payroll space they have, their spending history (T10 payroll each year the last 20 years), and them giving guaranteed money to AAAA players.

19 minutes ago, mmc said:

Is it your money?

Ahhhh

The same response when I was critical of the pujols signing.

No obviously it's not my money. However as a fan I want the team to win and I'm aware they have an actual budget. Therefore when money is poorly spent it limits good spending and I think it matters. 

1 minute ago, Erstad Grit said:

Ahhhh

The same response when I was critical of the pujols signing.

No obviously it's not my money. However as a fan I want the team to win and I'm aware they have an actual budget. Therefore when money is poorly spent it limits good spending and I think it matters. 

Lol @ trying to compare the two.  $900k isn’t preventing this team from doing anything

These moves make two likely paths for me.

1. Arte is about to spend big. Why would an owner spend this much on middle relief if they aren't wanting to go hard? Middle relief is the easiest area to pinch on if you don't care.

2. Arte is about to sell. 

1 minute ago, mmc said:

Lol @ trying to compare the two.  $900k isn’t preventing this team from doing anything

So you think signing a scrub no-one wanted for 900K and then weeks later removing him from the 40 man roster for a 1M player no-one wanted communicates a wisdom in leadership and a actual plan? 

Does 900k limit them? No of course not. However this move is indicative to me of this clown show we call the Angels. 

I was worried that they were gonna guarantee Kolarek a bullpen spot when they signed him, since he’s out of options.

So I’m glad that clearly wasn’t the case.

Right now, I think the only bullpen locks are Estévez, Soriano, García, and Cimber. Still lots of room to improve.

Beyond that on the 40-man, it’s Wantz, Joyce, Herget, Ingram, and SPs who could pitch out of the pen. They don’t really have any lefties.

8 minutes ago, The Ghost of Bob Starr said:

I actually like seeing these tinker deals. They are getting creative and the one thing I’ll say about Arte is that he will spend.  So maybe small moves before big move. 

Why not both. If Moreno gonna get richer by the day with a shitty on field product, I’ll encourage as much spending as possible.