• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Zach Plesac (1 year, $1 million) - DFA Kolarek

mmc

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

Yeah, I know. He wasn't that good starting in '19-'20 (definitely a byproduct of being so young/rushed) and then when he kicked the year off in the pen, he pitched well in '21. He was solid the remainder of the year and in 2022 starting, but the wheels came off in '23 (likely due to injury more than anything). 

Just not sure he has the staying power in the rotation. The results were there for awhile, but I don't know that he can maintain it long-term, especially if shoulder issues were starting to creep in last year. 

image.png

I think having him as a multi-inning lefty in the pen works well. Keep him from going through a lineup more than once, gives a different look versus high-velo pen arms.

I do like Suarez starting off in the pen, and then if Anderson continues to struggle, flip flop their roles.   Maybe that helps Anderson too?

38 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I do like Suarez starting off in the pen, and then if Anderson continues to struggle, flip flop their roles.   Maybe that helps Anderson too?

Totally down for that. I think Suarez was already mentioned as being viewed as a reliever too. Look, he did good when he moved back to starting mid-2021, and was good that year and 2022, but ever so slightly gradually declining throughout that time. Maybe that was the shoulder issue coming into play, maybe it was durability, or maybe he just isn't cut to be a SP. I fully support the Halos testing him as a SP those seasons (and in the future still) but think having him as a guy who can give you 2 IP every 2-3 days, or as an occasional 'soft-tossing' lefty mixed with high-velo relievers. Good for mop-up. Good when a SP gets kicked early but the team doesn't want to wave the white flag. 

I'm also higher on Anderson than most. I never thought he'd replicate his 2022, but expect him to find some middle ground and be a decent #3-4-type with a ERA in low to mid 4s. Think when that happens, Angels should immediately try to sell him off. Think the Angels need to put him in the rotation and try to will him into finding himself. 

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I was just looking at Plesac's stats again and I realized I had previously somehow overlooked that he gave up *30* HR in 94 2/3 IP in the minors last year.  That's not a typo.  That's...insane.

Good Vibes Sport GIF by MLB

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

I was just looking at Plesac's stats again and I realized I had previously somehow overlooked that he gave up *30* HR in 94 2/3 IP in the minors last year.  That's not a typo.  That's...insane.

With our minor league system, he can certainly do better than that. 40 HR in 84 2/3 IP!