• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Zach Plesac (1 year, $1 million) - DFA Kolarek

mmc

https://nypost.com/2022/09/15/zach-plesac-dropped-by-agency-after-embarrassing-injuries/

Guardians pitcher Zach Plesac has been dumped by his agency after a series of bizarre, self-inflicted injuries.

The Post’s Jon Heyman confirmed that Creative Artists Agency cut ties with Plesac after he broke his hand punching the pitcher’s mound. In a start at the end of August, Plesac gave up a home run to the Mariners’ Jake Lamb in the seventh inning, and was seen pounding on the ground in frustration after the pitch.

The team announced he would be going on the injured list on Sept. 2, and CAA severed their relationship with him less than two weeks later – a “rarity” for any agency, according to Heyman.

It’s the second injury in as many years Plesac has suffered by his own hand. In 2021, after allowing five runs to the Twins, the pitcher suffered a non-displaced fracture in his right thumb after “aggressively ripping off his shirt” out of frustration, per Guardians manager Terry Francona. He missed all of June with that injury.

Previously, during the COVID-shortened 2020 season, Plesac and former Guardians pitcher Mike Clevinger were sent home for breaking COVID protocol and going out in Chicago during a trip to play the White Sox. He then posted a lengthy Instagram video blaming the media for how they covered the situation.

Three strikes appeared to be enough for CAA to say “you’re out.” Plesac, despite a 3-11 record in 2022, has pitched decently for Cleveland (4.39 ERA), and is eligible for a big arbitration payday in the offseason. Still, the agency clearly decided the juice was not worth the squeeze.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/10/zach-plesac-files-for-free-agency.html

"Right-hander Zach Plesac recently filed for free agency, according to his player profile on MLB.com. Plesac, 28, struggled to a 7.59 ERA and 4.47 FIP across five starts with the Guardians this season before being designated for assignment back in June. His struggles continued at the Triple-A level after he accepted an outright assignment, with the righty posting a 6.08 ERA in 19 appearances for the club’s affiliate in Columbus.

Plesac made his major league debut in 2019 and had the look of a solid mid-rotation starter, with a 3.81 ERA (126 ERA+) across 21 starts in his rookie season, though his 4.94 FIP and lackluster 18.4% strikeout rate both left much to be desired. During the shortened 2020 season, Plesac took a significant leap forward, with an incredible 2.28 ERA that was 96% better than league average by measure of ERA+ and a strong 3.39 FIP. In the shortened season, Plesac’s peripherals caught up to his performance as he struck out 27.7% of batters faced while walking just 2.9%."

So hear me out. 

If the Angels can get MLB to move them to the AL Central, so they only have to face bad offensive teams in that division AND THEN they can get MLB to go with a 60 game season so those limited teams don't get to see him more than a couple times, this deal could turn out really nice for the Angels.   

If he is being looked at as anything other than AAA filler...  OOF....

6 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

So hear me out. 

If the Angels can get MLB to move them to the AL Central, so they only have to face bad offensive teams in that division AND THEN they can get MLB to go with a 60 game season so those limited teams don't get to see him more than a couple times, this deal could turn out really nice for the Angels.   

If he is being looked at as anything other than AAA filler...  OOF....

I'd rather have ZP than Barria, but I really cannot believe they're looking at ZP as a SP. 

2 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

I'd rather have ZP than Barria, but I really cannot believe they're looking at ZP as a SP. 

Someone has to cover starts when there’s injuries.  Before Plesac, assuming our current rotation is Detmers-Sandoval-Canning-Anderson-Silseth, our options for that are…. Kenny Rosenberg, Sam Bachman, and Davis Daniel?  An optionable starter is a need

9 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

The only thing about him that's better is he has options left.

6 minutes ago, mmc said:

Someone has to cover starts when there’s injuries.  Before Plesac, assuming our current rotation is Detmers-Sandoval-Canning-Anderson-Silseth, our options for that are…. Kenny Rosenberg, Sam Bachman, and Davis Daniel?  An optionable starter is a need

Any of those three would likely outperform Plesac.  

I mean, this isn't something people should be upset about, it's a nothingburger.  AAA needs arms too, and I'd rather they give it to Plesac than move someone up from AA and expose them to that park before they are ready.