• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Yamamoto to the Dodgers

Lhalo

9 hours ago, johndw52 said:

I hate this move but its brilliant. They pretty much own the Asian market now even if they fail to get to the series.  Thats pretty much a checkmate to Arte.

Brilliant? I'd be brilliant if I had a ton of money, too.

$50 million signing bonus

$50 million posting fee.

Then, whatever the tax is.

For someone that's never pitched in MLB.

Edited by ScottT

6 minutes ago, ScottT said:

Brilliant? I'd be brilliant if I had a ton of money, too.

$50 million signing bonus

$50 million posting fee.

Then, whatever the tax is.

For someone that's never pitched in MLB.

The reason they have that much money is because they’re a successful organization. 

Nearly every Japanese league starter has had elbow/arm problems after a year or two in MLB. Ohtani didn't last one season. Darvish was out by his third. Maeda had years of breakdowns. Kikuchi one season. 

It's not a great history of adapting quickly. I expect Yamamoto to follow suit and the Dodgers may be looking at him swapping positions with Ohtani in a year or so. 

I've always found it interesting how baseball is a microcosm for American culture and history as a whole. In this case, we have a clear example of income disparity which ramped up during the lockdowns when thousands of businesses were closed, the middle class continued to shrink and be pushed down, and the rich kept getting richer. Just an extension of "trickle-down" that really ended up as "trickling up."

So now we have the Dodgers, whose third best player signed this off season is Tyler Glasnow, who is probably better than any player that 20-25 teams will sign.

We have a small group of half a dozen or so teams that have immense resources and another half dozen with enough resources that, if used wisely, can lead to contention. Of those, the ones that are run well can contend, the ones that aren't (like the Angels) get caught in vicious cycles of mediocrity. So that makes about a dozen (give or take) teams with enough resources to contend. A few more will get lucky, but about half of MLB teams really have no chance of contending, at least except for the occasional fluke season. Their best hope is to emulate Billy Beane's philosophy, but that takes unusual intelligence that most baseball front offices don't have.

Unfortunately the Angels find themselves in a place where they have enough resources to contend, but haven't had the baseball people to make it happen. This is compounded by the fact they have a second tier oligarch owner who aspires to be a big dog, but isn't smart or humble enough to make it happen. In a way, the Angels are in the worst position possible: they have some resources--in the second tier group, so enough to contend--but don't know how to use it wisely. So they keep spending money on the wrong investments, and won't make the necessary overhaul changes to transform the organization. I mean, imagine what they could do if they employed a Billy Beane approach, but with a few more bucks to spend on keeping their better players but not wasting cash on bad investments. If only...

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

Nearly every Japanese league starter has had elbow/arm problems after a year or two in MLB. Ohtani didn't last one season. Darvish was out by his third. Maeda had years of breakdowns. Kikuchi one season. 

It's not a great history of adapting quickly. I expect Yamamoto to follow suit and the Dodgers may be looking at him swapping positions with Ohtani in a year or so. 

Good point

Innings pitched are generally limited in Japan.  Iirc, generally making around 23-25 starts on average.

Yamamoto made on average 24 starts the past 3 seasons.   But, he also averaged 7 1/3 innings per start in 2021-22 and 7 innings in 2023.   Big pitch counts for too long possibly?

Edited by Angel Oracle

55 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I've always found it interesting how baseball is a microcosm for American culture and history as a whole. In this case, we have a clear example of income disparity which ramped up during the lockdowns when thousands of businesses were closed, the middle class continued to shrink and be pushed down, and the rich kept getting richer. Just an extension of "trickle-down" that really ended up as "trickling up."

So now we have the Dodgers, whose third best player signed this off season is Tyler Glasnow, who is probably better than any player that 20-25 teams will sign.

We have a small group of half a dozen or so teams that have immense resources and another half dozen with enough resources that, if used wisely, can lead to contention. Of those, the ones that are run well can contend, the ones that aren't (like the Angels) get caught in vicious cycles of mediocrity. So that makes about a dozen (give or take) teams with enough resources to contend. A few more will get lucky, but about half of MLB teams really have no chance of contending, at least except for the occasional fluke season. Their best hope is to emulate Billy Beane's philosophy, but that takes unusual intelligence that most baseball front offices don't have.

Unfortunately the Angels find themselves in a place where they have enough resources to contend, but haven't had the baseball people to make it happen. This is compounded by the fact they have a second tier oligarch owner who aspires to be a big dog, but isn't smart or humble enough to make it happen. In a way, the Angels are in the worst position possible: they have some resources--in the second tier group, so enough to contend--but don't know how to use it wisely. So they keep spending money on the wrong investments, and won't make the necessary overhaul changes to transform the organization. I mean, imagine what they could do if they employed a Billy Beane approach, but with a few more bucks to spend on keeping their better players but not wasting cash on bad investments. If only...

Arte likes his trinkets and shiny (over the hill) objects. We will probably continue to be a fourth place team as long as he owns it.

I guess basking with the bastardized Covid 'World Series' title hasn't diminished the aggression of the Dodgers front office. Since then they've been even more obsessed with putting together the best team money can buy. 

As astute as their baseball people allegedly are they seem to miss that clutch intangible in the playoffs. Seems it can't be bought. Maybe the hunger isn't there after coasting through regular seasons. 

2024 will be really interesting. The Steinbrenner Yankees were hated by non Yankee fans for how they exploited the system. But at least it paid off for them. Dodgers will still be facing post season pressure no matter what they do in the regular season. 

3 hours ago, Lhalo said:

The reason they have that much money is because they’re a successful organization. 

No, the reason they have a successful organization is because they have wealthy investors, many of which made their fortune in other fields.

4 hours ago, Blarg said:

Yamamoto is only 25. Even if he has TJ surgery, he's going to be around a while.

And.. if he doesn't work out, the Dodgers have the resources to get someone else

4 hours ago, Blarg said:

I don’t have the data to back this up, but I’ve read that the splitter is hard on the elbow and leads to more arm injuries. Ohtani throws the splitter, as does Yamamoto. Not sure if it’s used extensively by all pitchers in Japan.