• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Yamamoto to the Dodgers

Lhalo

10 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Pretty much all of baseball is pissed at the Dodgers finding a loophole, kind of like when the Angels gave Pujols a personal services contract. MLB reacted quickly after the season started and shut down personal services contracts, I think deferrals will get the same treatment. 

Again, it's not a "loophole".  The process for deferrals is clearly established and other teams have done it (though obviously not to this degree).

33 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Again, it's not a "loophole".  The process for deferrals is clearly established and other teams have done it (though obviously not to this degree).

Yes exactly.  They didn’t find a loophole.

The Dodgers found a player that uniquely didn’t really have any need for immediate cash flow from salary.

And Ohtani found an organization that can fearlessly financially absorb the eventual mismatch of paying that level of deferment to a retired player no longer producing for them on the field.

So it’s not some newly found loophole.  It’s just the perfect relationship to execute what has already been done of tons of times, just done to an extreme because both parties can uniquely accept the extreme nature of the deal.

Edited by Dtwncbad

17 hours ago, Stradling said:

Or all deferred money must include interest or it’s a 100% hit against the cap, which would mean $70 million a year now. Last could be it’s a hit against the tax during the contract AND during deferrals. 

The negotiation clearly mathematically includes interest.  And mlb has a set interest rate standard calculation to properly VALUE the compensation in todays dollars in order to properly include the most accurate amount in the current salary tax calculations.

You seem to be asking for something that is already 100% employed.

Just now, Dtwncbad said:

Wow, jsnpriitchett and I have agreement on a few consecutive comments.

Maybe he doesn’t completely loathe me as a human being after all?

Hold Up Wow GIF by ABC Network

Just kidding...

But, yeah, I just get tired of people whining about what the Dodgers did or trying to come up with some way to penalize them for doing something that's 100% acceptable and approved within the current MLB system. 

Just now, jsnpritchett said:

Hold Up Wow GIF by ABC Network

Just kidding...

But, yeah, I just get tired of people whining about what the Dodgers did or trying to come up with some way to penalize them for doing something that's 100% acceptable and approved within the current MLB system. 

Agreed.  You can’t complain about what was available to every team.  Every team FULLY understands that deferred money is an option.

Would these same complaining Angel fans really want the Angels to have a $70m cash obligation for ten consecutive years to a retired player?

19 hours ago, mmc said:

So what made you then to decide to leave for a decade and then come back just to be an asshole?

you're right, i apologize. been going through some RL shit. I am an asshole but venting on here about it is inappropriate. 

I regret not being a part of this community for the last decade as well.

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

Wow, jsnpriitchett and I have agreement on a few consecutive comments.

Maybe he doesn’t completely loathe me as a human being after all?

I agree with you too! 

Maybe we're the key to solving the social divide in this country.

7 minutes ago, Taylor said:

I agree with you too! 

I don’t want to sidetrack this thread.  But let me just say that there are people that literally cannot get along face to face, cannot even function with each other, because of their different social/political opinions.

And the there are others that may have wildly different social and political convictions, complete with plenty of energy to disagree, even aggressively AS A MATTERS OF DEBATE. . .  but can easily easily get along with each other face to face in real life, and enjoy each others company as legitimate friends.

One obvious limitation on a message board is that people from opposite sides of a debate most often don’t even have a chance to function with each other outside of the debate.  And that’s kind of  a shame because most people are far more valuable/interesting/funny/fun/loyal as friends, etc than just their debate positions.

1 hour ago, Taylor said:

I agree with you too! 

there will be no peace in this country until middle school students can learn to close the cap on a bottle of elmer's glue so that it can be used again instead of leaving it open and having the glue dry inside the cap, clogging it in such a fashion that it can never be fixed. 

31 minutes ago, Tank said:

there will be no peace in this country until middle school students can learn to close the cap on a bottle of elmer's glue so that it can be used again instead of leaving it open and having the glue dry inside the cap, clogging it in such a fashion that it can never be fixed. 

Middle schoolers lose all sense of self awareness for a couple years. They're basically toddlers again.

Many of them regain their self awareness. Others become full-grown adults who still only seem to be able to think about themselves.

4 hours ago, Angels in 2030 said:

What Middle schoolers are still using elmers glue during classes?  Isn't that a kindergarten & an early elementary school thing.  Maybe my kids are just smarter & more advanced than some others lol 😉

it's occasionally necessary. we did a project last week on 7th grade where they had to create the labyrinth of the minotaur rom greek mythology, and gluing a string on to the path was far more effecting than using a glue stick.

btw, glue sticks suck.