• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How long before we finish above .500?

fan_since79

I’m going to say 2024, if the right off-season moves are made to counteract losing Ohtani’s 10 WAR and injuries finally return to normal.   Say, 83 wins.

Having a manager who works well with players on the field, the bench, and the clubhouse is underrated.  

I’m not predicting post-season yet, still a little ways to go there.

Hard to say when Moreno sells the team, although having Ohtani leave may be a key.

6 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I’m going to say 2024, if the right off-season moves are made to counteract losing Ohtani’s 10 WAR and injuries finally return to normal.   Say, 83 wins.

Having a manager who works well with players on the field, the bench, and the clubhouse is underrated.  

I’m not predicting post-season yet, still a little ways to go there.

Hard to say when Moreno sells the team, although having Ohtani leave may be a key.

Basically this. Solidify the pen, add a good starter, add depth, hope for health. 

6 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Hot take but, I think ultimately the loss of Ohtani makes them a better "team" in the long run. Those funds will be allocated elsewhere and it wont require a 6 man rotation. His MVP bat will hurt but i think it forces the funds to be used in other more pressing areas.

I agree with this. It’s not a shot at Ohtani it’s more of the obligation a player like that requires. Spread money around, give guys breathers by DHing twice a week, no more need for a merry go round of 6th starters. 

I can say I honestly have no specific interest in being over .500.  To me there are three buckets:

1). Make the postseason

2). Almost make the postseason so the season is exciting

3). not contending (don’t care all at if it’s over or under .500)

All I want is to not be in bucket 3.

Edited by Dtwncbad

26 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I agree with this. It’s not a shot at Ohtani it’s more of the obligation a player like that requires. Spread money around, give guys breathers by DHing twice a week, no more need for a merry go round of 6th starters. 

Not a shot at all. He is an unbelievable player that will not be duplicated for a very long time if ever. However, like you said, having to create such a specific setting for him takes a toll on an organization. The angels dont have that luxury. (which is why i would have traded him). 

Call me delusional with halo red glasses but, I think there’s an outside shot we make the playoffs this year. I’m not saying they Willl, just there’s a chance, 

O’hoppe, Schanuel, Neto, Moniak, Adell are all young players capable of break outs. Trout, Rendon, Rengifo, Drury, Ward are veterans capable of carrying an offense, health permitting. 

Rotation is young and full of potential, maybe no clear cut #1 but maybe a trade or FA signing solves that… Sandoval, Canning, Detmers, Silseth are some solid young starters capable of more than they have shown… Anderson is capable of not being ass. Bullpens are so volatile they could randomly be great with the young flamethrowers we have. 

44 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Hot take but, I think ultimately the loss of Ohtani makes them a better "team" in the long run. Those funds will be allocated elsewhere and it wont require a 6 man rotation. His MVP bat will hurt but i think it forces the funds to be used in other more pressing areas.

I don’t think you are wrong. It just depends on how Perry builds the roster. 

27 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I can say I honestly have no specific interest in being over .500.  To me there are three buckets:

1). Make the postseason

2). Almost make the postseason so the season is exciting

3). not contending (don’t care all at if it’s over or under .500)

All I want is to not be in bucket 3.

I’m OK with #3 if the reason is that a rebuild is in progress and they are developing young, legit, talent. It seems like the last few seasons they have put together a roster they honestly believed was a good team. It has been very frustrating 

20 minutes ago, Taylor said:

So just like the last five years?

Yes. Because again, without health it doesn’t matter.  It isn’t like you are going to sign Belinger, Chapman, Tim Anderson, Gurriel, Soler and Gary Sanchez, for when Trout, Rendon, Neto, Ward, Adell, and O’Hoppe all get injured. 

As great as he was, and as amazing as his personal stats were, I did not like the way the Angels just became Ohtani's supporting cast. It reminded me of the NBA. The big superstar, and everything tweaked for his preferences and comfort. 

It created a dependent mindset. Waiting for Ohtani to be the difference maker. I bet team mates subconsciously also expected him to do the heavy lifting in many situations. He was hyped as the best player in history, and the rest of the team were his supporting cast. 

You can also.look back and say that it was similar to dependence on Trout. Maybe, but  to a much lesser degree. Lots of different dynamics on and off the field. 

So now we're changing the mindset by necessity. 

If the main regulars stay healthy enough, there are a few modest upgrades and Washington is a managerial upgrade I think they can hover around .500 this season. Maybe be in the wild card mix till later in the season and sneak in if there are positive surprises.

The pressure of being hostage to Ohtani's ambitions is lifted. A new manager and coaching staff will have a fresh take on the roster. 

Wash's swan song season.

We get in as a Wild Card and cruise through to the ALCS... And lose in 7.

Pundits are going Crazy as the Doggs are also in the NLCS and non-stop talk of a Ohtani led Doggs vs the Halos in the World Series...

Doggs also lose in game 7 as Ohtani gives up a late home run and then another on wild pitch and they lose by 2....

We then don't sniff the Playoffs for another 5 season....

On paper it should be 2024, even before any significant additions. In reality?  Probably 2025 or maybe 2026 depending how the youngsters progress  

8-10 WAR combined from Trout and Rendon would go a long way to curing this teams ills. They have to start getting consistent production from the highly paid players.  

You can mask the symptoms with some free agents, but the cure lies within.