• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What does Ohtani deal mean for Trout?

22 hours ago, Stradling said:

It means nothing. His contract is untradeable based on his inability to stay on the field. If I was Arte I’d tell him exactly that. I wouldn’t pay a dime to move his contract. 

This! What is often overlooked, is the fact that Trout not being able to stay on the field and be productive has been a rather large contributer to the ineptitude we have endured. I don't blame him for being injured,  but it is what it is.

He is absolutely untradeable. No team is going to take on his contract for an injury-prone star who can't stay on the field and produce to the point of justifying his massive salary, nor are they going to part with the talent level player/prospects required in such a trade. We can only hope that Trout can stay healthy and be the face-of-the-franchise player he once was and should still be. He is here for the long haul.

3 hours ago, EDinTUSTIN said:

This! What is often overlooked, is the fact that Trout not being able to stay on the field and be productive has been a rather large contributer to the ineptitude we have endured. I don't blame him for being injured,  but it is what it is.

He is absolutely untradeable. No team is going to take on his contract for an injury-prone star who can't stay on the field and produce to the point of justifying his massive salary, nor are they going to part with the talent level player/prospects required in such a trade. We can only hope that Trout can stay healthy and be the face-of-the-franchise player he once was and should still be. He is here for the long haul.

100% this. 

1 hour ago, floplag said:

Stop.. this is such a copout... you think he signed expecting this?   

You think the Angels signed him expecting his injuries?  Yet Trout still gets his check.  Deservedly so.  And Angels should expect Trout to do his best.  That is all that is expected!

On 12/9/2023 at 4:18 PM, Stradling said:

It means nothing. His contract is untradeable based on his inability to stay on the field. If I was Arte I’d tell him exactly that. I wouldn’t pay a dime to move his contract. 

Pretty unlikely, but if he wanted a trade that could work, I'd pay a part of his contract to get some useful talent in return.

No top-tier FA will take our money while there are competitive teams who'll pay them the same.  Any money saved we'll spend on Joe Blanton and Anthony Rendon's love child.   We need prospects back.

Everyone sees this team for what it is - or rather, what it isn't.  It has no reasonable chance at the playoffs, probably for the rest of Trout's career.  Let him play on a playoff team (assuming that's his desire, and we can make a trade that benefits the team, long-term.)

(this is where I'd like MLB to have loans like the Premiership - loan him to a team for a stretch run, pay his salary, get some prospects back, then get him back again at the beginning of next season)

58 minutes ago, DCAngelsFan said:

Pretty unlikely, but if he wanted a trade that could work, I'd pay a part of his contract to get some useful talent in return.

No top-tier FA will take our money while there are competitive teams who'll pay them the same.  Any money saved we'll spend on Joe Blanton and Anthony Rendon's love child.   We need prospects back.

Everyone sees this team for what it is - or rather, what it isn't.  It has no reasonable chance at the playoffs, probably for the rest of Trout's career.  Let him play on a playoff team (assuming that's his desire, and we can make a trade that benefits the team, long-term.)

(this is where I'd like MLB to have loans like the Premiership - loan him to a team for a stretch run, pay his salary, get some prospects back, then get him back again at the beginning of next season)

WTF...U can't do that.

Lol!

I love Trout. 

But he's had too many injuries the last few years and he's on the wrong side of 30.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34313085/what-mike-trout-latest-injury-concern-does-mean-return

All the different injuries (ribs, back, hand, calf etc.) limits the patented recklessness he shows in his fielding and hitting, not to mention throwing and baserunning.

If I were the Angels, ideally I'd package Trout up with Rendon, and be finished with the injury worries and the totally unbalanced salary structure on the team.

Don't hang on unless forced. But I assume these two mega contracts were all of Moreno's doing...

2 minutes ago, Chico said:

I love Trout. 

But he's had too many injuries the last few years and he's on the wrong side of 30.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34313085/what-mike-trout-latest-injury-concern-does-mean-return

All the different injuries (ribs, back, hand, calf etc.) limits the patented recklessness he shows in his fielding and hitting, not to mention throwing and baserunning.

If I were the Angels, ideally I'd package Trout up with Rendon, and be finished with the injury worries and the totally unbalanced salary structure on the team.

Don't hang on unless forced. But I assume these two mega contracts were all of Moreno's doing...

If you try to trade Trout AND Rendon in the same deal, you'd have to include a crazy amount of money and/or take back another "bad" contract.  As-is, without adding any money in the deal, the combination of their contracts and injury histories results in massive negative trade value.

19 minutes ago, Stradling said:

What is the value in trading Trout and Rendon?

Only reason would be if you were truly doing a complete reset/rebuild of the franchise.

(Note, I'm not suggesting that they will do this or that it would even be a good idea.  I'm simply suggesting the only possible, somewhat rational reason for doing so.)

4 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

Only reason would be if you were truly doing a complete reset/rebuild of the franchise.

(Note, I'm not suggesting that they will do this or that it would even be a good idea.  I'm simply suggesting the only possible, somewhat rational reason for doing so.)

And again, where is the value in trading Trout? 

Just now, Stradling said:

And again, where is the value in trading Trout? 

Not sure why you're repeating this.  Thought my response was pretty clear.  If you were to dump Trout and Rendon (even if paying down a large % of their remaining salary), you'd obviously have lower payroll obligations moving forward.  Go cheap for a few years, build up your system, extend young players that seem worth the gamble, then have more flexibility because you don't have all of the Trout/Rendon obligations.

AGAIN: I'm not saying that they will do this or that they should.  I'm simply saying that this approach is theoretically possible.

11 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Not sure why you're repeating this.  Thought my response was pretty clear.  If you were to dump Trout and Rendon (even if paying down a large % of their remaining salary), you'd obviously have lower payroll obligations moving forward.  Go cheap for a few years, build up your system, extend young players that seem worth the gamble, then have more flexibility because you don't have all of the Trout/Rendon obligations.

AGAIN: I'm not saying that they will do this or that they should.  I'm simply saying that this approach is theoretically possible.

If you are rebuilding then you don’t have luxury tax concerns. They won’t bring back prospects of value in a trade. 
They aren’t blocking anyone from playing the positions they play.