• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

It’s time we consider signing Trevor Bauer

Hufflepuff

Should the Angels sign Trevor Bauer?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Sign Trevor Bauer? Yes or no

• Yes
    • No

47 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Bellinger will no doubt be expensive but in looking at the current lineup there really isn't a big bopper lefthanded bat in the lineup. 

If the season started today I'm guessing this is what the lineup would look like:

1B Schanuel

CF Trout

3B Rendon

2B Drury

RF Moniak

LF Ward

C O'Hoppe

DH Adell/Rengifo

SS Neto

This is the first lineup I've seen since the Ohtani trade, and I gotta say it's weird not seeing him in it. 

I think the reality of his absence just hit me. We're in trouble LOL. 

13 minutes ago, CaliAngel said:

This is the first lineup I've seen since the Ohtani trade, and I gotta say it's weird not seeing him in it. 

I think the reality of his absence just hit me. We're in trouble LOL. 

Yeah which is why I've went from totally against signing Bellinger to how it makes sense now to add his bat to the lineup. 

The problem is the Blue Jays and Cubs are ready to pony up the $$ to get him so he could get a contract north of 200 million. 

1 hour ago, James said:

He is the most proven MLB pitcher on the market. He has been elite in the past and was very good last year. Calling him sloppy seconds is ridiculous. Im not a fan of the guy over the years but the clubhouse cancer is really being ran with here as well. I have heard players say the opposite as well. As far as the whole sexual assault case, I think any honest person can admit he was more the victim here even if he was an idiot.  

If a legit intelligent team (not the Angels) signs him this off season, I'll back off on the clubhouse cancer stuff. The thing is, teams have been able to sign him for almost 2 years now, and crickets. That's very telling.

I really don't care about the disproved allegations and personally feel that they should be a non-factor in any team's decision.  However, he has a history (not related to the recent case) or should I say reputation, of being immature and polarizing, at least that is the fan perception.  If the Angels can discern that he wants to move past that sort of reputation and feel he can be a good teammate, then I'm all for bringing him in.

1 hour ago, Junkballer said:

I really don't care about the disproved allegations and personally feel that they should be a non-factor in any team's decision.  However, he has a history (not related to the recent case) or should I say reputation, of being immature and polarizing, at least that is the fan perception.  If the Angels can discern that he wants to move past that sort of reputation and feel he can be a good teammate, then I'm all for bringing him in.

This is basically where I'm at. I've seen zero self awareness or humility from Bauer. He likes to whine and play the victim card. He's more of a Pujols or Rendon than a Trout.

2 hours ago, Chuck said:

Why? Unless I missed something he was proven to be not guilty and it turned out he was the victim. 

This team needs a little swagger on the mound that I believe will help other guys on the staff. We haven't had a bulldog on the mound since Lackey/Weaver. 

He's still a very good pitcher and this team needs an ace. 

Not interested in bringing someone on that’s incredibly self centered and full of himself  and has a knack for pissing off the personnel on the team.  If we were a Bauer away from winning, maybe you try it for a year but we’re not so I’d rather not risk bringing down the team’s morale any further 

The bottom line is performance.  If Bauer came here and was disciplined in controlling his image and pitched really well then that’s plenty good enough for me.

It sure seems like he was set up, but we also have to live in the real world that sometimes isn’t real.  If he came here and sucked and was a big mouth blowhard on social media making him an easy target and a distraction that isn’t a good look for the team, the. It would be a mess.

Sometimes it isn’t about guilt or innocence, it is about managing perceptions and how willing you are to take the risk that the sometimes-not-so-real world can damage you.

I definitely want his arm on the mound.  But I am not clamoring for it because in my heart I don’t think the team is in the right place right now to expose itself to more bad PR so I realistically think they will not pursue him.

Just now, Taylor said:

Everyone has to remember there's no guarantee he would have a successful season. He was basically pitching in AAA or AAAA last season. And even then he still struggled for a couple months before he found his groove.

Yep.  I don't think it's inconceivable that he'd still be pretty successful in the majors, but I think some folks are slightly off in thinking that he was dominant in Japan in '23.  He was very good, but not great.  This random dude who I'd never heard of until I was just looking at Japanese League stats put up numbers that were very comparable to Bauer's in '23:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=griffi000fos

Foster Griffin: 2.75 ERA, 1.074 WHIP, 8.6K/9, 121 IP

Bauer: 2.76 ERA, 1.148 WHIP, 9.0K/9, 130 2/3 IP

Bauer's team in Japan wants him back. Some people seem to act as if everyone he has ever played with hates him when that is demonstrably untrue. And honestly, blackballing him is basically encouraging more of that same kind of targeting of professional ball players because they'll be afraid to refuse extortion or they might get forced out of MLB like Bauer effectively has been. 

To be clear, if the clubhouse vets like Trout don't want him, we should absolutely not sign him, but saying unequivocally you won't watch the Angels if they sign him is really a really dumb statement. 

2 hours ago, Taylor said:

If a legit intelligent team (not the Angels) signs him this off season, I'll back off on the clubhouse cancer stuff. The thing is, teams have been able to sign him for almost 2 years now, and crickets. That's very telling.

The Dodgers released Bauer 11 months ago, which is less than two years ago. Also it’s really stupid to say “if another team signs him it’s a good move but if the Angels do it’s a bad move”. 

Remind me when it came out that his accuser totally faked the whole thing, because it sure as hell wasn't two years ago. It was like a couple of months ago. I think most teams are still leery, though, of potential bad publicity and the distraction inherent to bringing in a guy like Bauer, and I get that, but he deserves another chance.

7 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Remind me when it came out that his accuser totally faked the whole thing, because it sure as hell wasn't two years ago. It was like a couple of months ago. I think most teams are still leery, though, of potential bad publicity and the distraction inherent to bringing in a guy like Bauer, and I get that, but he deserves another chance.

image.jpeg

46 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Yep.  I don't think it's inconceivable that he'd still be pretty successful in the majors, but I think some folks are slightly off in thinking that he was dominant in Japan in '23.  He was very good, but not great.  This random dude who I'd never heard of until I was just looking at Japanese League stats put up numbers that were very comparable to Bauer's in '23:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=griffi000fos

Foster Griffin: 2.75 ERA, 1.074 WHIP, 8.6K/9, 121 IP

Bauer: 2.76 ERA, 1.148 WHIP, 9.0K/9, 130 2/3 IP

On the flip side, these Japanese pitchers coming over who are highly coveted by MLB teams faced the same opposing batters in Japan.

26 minutes ago, Stradling said:

The Dodgers released Bauer 11 months ago, which is less than two years ago. Also it’s really stupid to say “if another team signs him it’s a good move but if the Angels do it’s a bad move”. 

I don't know why I sad almost two years. It's been almost one year.

Even so, I trust most other teams' FO over the Angels.