• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

It’s time we consider signing Trevor Bauer

Hufflepuff

Should the Angels sign Trevor Bauer?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Sign Trevor Bauer? Yes or no

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Interestingly enough, the Japanese are considered extremely Conservative yet are willing to pay the guy and have him represent one of 2 foreign players they can have on their main roster!

Yet, people here aren't interested in him by something he was never found guilty of in a Court of Law...

My post had nothing to do with what you're talking about.  I was simply talking about the hypothetical of offering him a 2-year, $40M contract, and pointing out that it didn't make much sense from an economic strategy standpoint.

1 hour ago, full circle said:

Mookie loved him.  Who cares about the other self righteous douchebags. 

One guy liking him when the majority does not may be enough for you but if you don’t have some retarded agenda it’s easy to see why it likely concerns MLB front offices

1 hour ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Interestingly enough, the Japanese are considered extremely Conservative yet are willing to pay the guy and have him represent one of 2 foreign players they can have on their main roster!

Yet, people here aren't interested in him by something he was never found guilty of in a Court of Law...

Your reading comprehension really sucks if this is the case because I don’t think any of the people opposed to signing Bauer have used that as the reason

1 hour ago, mmc said:

One guy liking him when the majority does not may be enough for you but if you don’t have some retarded agenda it’s easy to see why it likely concerns MLB front offices

That one guy is the only guy who has said anything about him. And this one guy also happens to be pretty respected around the league, so his word should mean something to you.

anonymous reporting (which you still haven’t cited) takes precedence over public comments for you?

On 12/24/2023 at 10:11 AM, FromJapan said:

Since Ohtani joined the Angels, NHK (a Japanese public broadcaster) had broadcast almost every Angels game on its satellite channel throughout the season. Additionally, many games were broadcast live for free on a Japanese internet streaming service. Games involving other Japanese players were not broadcast on a regular basis, and games between teams without Japanese players were rarely broadcast, except in the postseason. For this reason, over the past few years, in Japan, the Angels have become the most watched MLB team. Many travel agencies in Japan have offered plans that combine watching an Angels game with sightseeing in Anaheim and/or Los Angeles.

The following are an English translation of the titles of recent Angels-related topics as of December 25th that are posted on a fan site for the Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters, which Ohtani belonged to during his NPB days. Since this is a fan-based site, some titles are ironic.

• Angels: "We lost Ohtani, but we gained more Japanese fans, so it's okay."
  • New Angels manager Washington travels to Philadelphia to meet Trout.
  • Rendon (29) .319 AVG, 545 AB, 174 H, 34 HR, 126 RBI, 1.010 OPS ---- Angels: “Yeah, we got him!”
  • Will you still support the Angels even if Ohtani is gone?
  • Trout maintains no comment on Shohei Ohtani's transfer.
  • Without Ohtani, the Angels will be able to use the DH and starting pitcher rotation more flexibly, making a comeback.

Thank you for this. It makes a ton of sense. Though Ohtani has departed, hopefully his exposure on the Angels will endear the team to some Japanese fans -- we have enjoyed the support from, in my opinion, some of the best fans in the world.

I hope to enjoy more of your posts and insight going forward. Domo arigato gozaimasu!*

*Please excuse my clumsy attempt at Japanese. I have been inspired to try to learn the language. 

3 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

My post had nothing to do with what you're talking about.  I was simply talking about the hypothetical of offering him a 2-year, $40M contract, and pointing out that it didn't make much sense from an economic strategy standpoint.

I believe that is too high personally as well. And was simplying stating the fact that the Japanese have no problem paying him and that they are normally extremely Conservative regarding that stuff. As players are a reflection of their organizations and the game in Japan! IF the Japanese can see the difference and he wasn't booted off the team for anything. (Means he kept his head on straight). He might have had some humble pie and maybe his dyckness is behind him?

The second portion was in response to something mmc posted.

Happy New Years!

On 12/22/2023 at 11:37 PM, Stradling said:

I’m unfamiliar with who the Japanese Jeff Passan is. 

Yosuke Murata
Editor-in-chief of MLB.jp, MLB writer

(MLB Japan official account) MLB Japan

(His X) Yoshuke Murata
Since it is aimed at Japanese fans, he is posting in Japanese.

(Link) MLB.JP

-------

Shuta Yamamoto 
Correspondent, NHK General Bureau for America

(NHK sports official account) NHK Sports
Since he is a staff member of a public broadcaster, his reporting is objective and accurate, and he himself does not use X (Twitter).

5 hours ago, FromJapan said:

On a BayStars fan site in Japan, it has become a topic as it is unclear what the meaning of Bauer's post below is.

My guess is that a major league team that had previously told Bauer they couldn't sign him because of possible public relations blowback contacted him for info on Imanaga.

The following is a summarized English translation of an article from a Japanese sports newspaper. Therefore, this is not word for word of Rachel Luba's answer.

Rachel Luba, Bauer's agent, spoke to the Daily Sports about the current situation.

Regarding the current status of negotiations, three weeks after the winter meetings, she did not say much, ”We are still talking to multiple teams, but that's all I can say for now.”  She continued, "Trevor has had a great experience with the BayStars and we are still in negotiations with them."

(Reference in Japanese) Daily Sports on December 29, 2023

Bauer is always a controversial topic, and rightfully so. After seeing his post about a team not wanting to sign him because of the "PR hit" they would take I started thinking about it. The Angels seem to be the perfect fit for him. As the guys have pointed out on the podcast, and all media for that matter, the Angels are already viewed as a joke. Why not go and sign him, it won't lower how people perceive the team that much. 

Also, I'm a big believer in 2nd chances, and what better manager to have the Wash to help him through the opportunity? He's a man who has had to rebuild his life in the past and has done a great job at it! He could be a fantastic mentor. Also, Mookie says he wasn't a bad teammate, and I don't see how he could be any worse for the team than Rendon has been in the last couple of years. Offer a short-term prove-it deal with an option for a 2nd year. 

This could set the Angels up with a nice top-of-the-rotation if they sign Snell or Montgomery, and give them the option to package Sandoval.

Snell/Montgomery-Bauer-Detmers-Sandoval-Canning-Silseth-Anderson

Just some thoughts

14 hours ago, JTminutes said:

Bauer is always a controversial topic, and rightfully so. After seeing his post about a team not wanting to sign him because of the "PR hit" they would take I started thinking about it. The Angels seem to be the perfect fit for him. As the guys have pointed out on the podcast, and all media for that matter, the Angels are already viewed as a joke. Why not go and sign him, it won't lower how people perceive the team that much. 

I would pay money to hear Moreno explain how the Angels are giving Bauer a new lease on life.

On 12/30/2023 at 9:58 AM, Jay said:

If Moreno has any thoughts of selling the team then bringing Bauer in would be risky. So I don't expect it to happen.

No new ownership group will care about the roster. They are paying for the long term value not a two or three year commitment that they can salary dump because it's all depreciation. Same can be said about Rendon, he has become a cancer, so a new owner/GM could cut him loose in a salary dump trade. 

That was a publicist prepared response and I don't believe that is how he truly looks at MLB's role in his suspension and destruction of his career.

Any team that signs him still has his outstanding lawsuits to answer to the public for and that is why none are willing take the risk right now. I think he is screwed no matter how many times he proclaims taking personal responsibility.  

Clearly he's being blackballed by MLB and the owners.  That's why he hasn't returned.  Seriously, there is a constant list of rapists, drunk drivers, wife/girlfriend beaters, cheaters, drug users, etc. and they are given 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc. chances by these same owners time & time again.  The owners themselves fall under this same category.  Not to mention coaches, GMs, etc.  If you think otherwise, you're quite naive.