• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Washington’s staff

Hubs

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

Really excited about Enright. What I dig is that he's got a good pedigree, being mentored by a guy like Strom. He also seems to have a good sense of what went wrong last year and what these guys are capable of.

My favorite part of the Q&A, though, was when he said the front office is backing off their one-size-fits-all approach and leaving the data in the hands of the coaching staff to appropriate as needed. I.e. Perry is hiring coaches he trusts and then trusting them to disseminate the information they're getting from the analytics department in whatever way will be of most benefit to the pitchers. That all gives me hope that we'll see some of these guys get back to where they were or maybe even take a step forward. 

36 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Really excited about Enright. What I dig is that he's got a good pedigree, being mentored by a guy like Strom. He also seems to have a good sense of what went wrong last year and what these guys are capable of.

My favorite part of the Q&A, though, was when he said the front office is backing off their one-size-fits-all approach and leaving the data in the hands of the coaching staff to appropriate as needed. I.e. Perry is hiring coaches he trusts and then trusting them to disseminate the information they're getting from the analytics department in whatever way will be of most benefit to the pitchers. That all gives me hope that we'll see some of these guys get back to where they were or maybe even take a step forward. 

Yeah. I thought it was a very insightful interview conducted by Blum.  I learned a lot about Enright's thoughts on data and execution as well as the importance of leadership. 

55 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Agree with this, and it seems to show that Perry has learned something since the Maddon fiasco. Analytics is a tool only, one of several, not the end all be all.

19 hours ago, Hubs said:

Agree with this, and it seems to show that Perry has learned something since the Maddon fiasco. Analytics is a tool only, one of several, not the end all be all.

Problem was, Maddon didn’t seem to know how to balance analytics with old school pitching.

Edited by Angel Oracle

4 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Why?

Montgomery was my pick in early Oct for the next manager spot for the Angels. I think this is a good move, though i would have prefered Clint Hurdle.

I would have preferred Hurdle as well. AO make some comments about not wanting Montgomery back. 

Just now, Angel Oracle said:

I thought they were wanting all new coaches.    

Can someone explain to me why Montgomery should be kept?

What did he bring in his two seasons as bench coach?

If you think a bench coach can help heal the wounds of Trout, Ohtani, Rendon, a disaster of a pitching staff this past season and a clusterfuck of a roster which is not his responsibility then......

Perry knows baseball, which is why he brought Washington in and with that you have to trust him on Montgomery. 

6 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I thought they were wanting all new coaches.    

Can someone explain to me why Montgomery should be kept?

What did he bring in his two seasons as bench coach?

That’s all I am asking.

And what we asked is what specifically did he do that you didn’t like?

10 minutes ago, Stradling said:

And what we asked is what specifically did he do that you didn’t like?

Well, it’s the rep that he is all analytics that is the main thing.

I thought the idea was to have the right balance of traditional baseball and analytics.

Edited by Angel Oracle

7 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Wasn’t one of the issues in 2023 too much use of analytics?

On the pitching side.

Idk how much Montgomery was involved on that same.

Iirc, Maddon’s book said that Montgomery led the hitter’s advance scouting meetings.

Edited by BTH

From Maddon’s book:

”In 2022 Minasian instituted daily meetings with players, primarily the hitters, rather than just the traditional first-game-of-a-series meeting.” "That was something Perry wanted," Maddon says. "I just think it's way too over the top. He kept reminding, ‘The Braves did it. The Braves did it.’  Fine. A lot of things were related to 'We did it this way with the Braves’ or ‘This is how the Giants did it,’ because Alex is a big fan of the GM there. We were all over trying to do things like somebody else.”

“On top of that he had Ray Montgomery run the daily meetings.” “And the daily schedule was made up with Ray and the front office, independent of many of my suggestions.”

Edited by BTH

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

Why?

Montgomery was my pick in early Oct for the next manager spot for the Angels. I think this is a good move, though i would have prefered Clint Hurdle.

Disappointing.

I was hoping for Hurdle as well. Would have liked a clean slate (New voices), hopefully it will work out. 

13 minutes ago, mmc said:

People are still questioning Ray Montgomery’s coaching abilities after he was one of the finalists for the Astros manager?

From The Athletic, at the GM Meetings:

“Other than to refute an MLB Network report linking Los Angeles Angels bench coach Ray Montgomery to the Astros’ opening, Brown did not indulge speculation on other candidates.”

https://t.co/ytjIG3YjTI

Edited by BTH