• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels hire Ron Washington as manager

mmc

4 hours ago, Taylor said:

@Second Base Any issues with this?

I'm not sure I'm the one to ask. I mean I've gone on record as saying that I don't think coaches make a lick of difference in the outcome of a single game at the major league level. And at the same time I was supportive in general of Aumus, Maddon and Nevin's hirings.

It looks like a great and entertaining staff to me. But I think I second what @Docwaukee said, now let's move on to the important things. 

7 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Great hire. Anybody that's against this move does not know ball. 

CHUCK - that's a bit harsh coming from you - the always nice guy.

I was stunned when I heard this -- and not in a good way. True, RW has 'rehabilitated ' himself during his coaching stints -  most recently with Atlanta - a very good organization from top to bottom--   but a 71 year old. (didn't realize he was that old- you know the old adage - we all remain a certain age and assume everyone else does too - so we see he's  71 - GEEZ that's old -  oh wait - it's only a few years older than me !) 

Have our AW folks do some digging (not the club PR take) and see who pushed this hire.  There's a sense that the Halos GM (in theist year of his contract in 24) was methodically interviewing candidates (I don't recall RW being on that list but perhaps he was last week) said he was 'taking his time' and then WHAM --  RW announced as new manager !  Has the signs of perhaps Arte stepping in making this happen (around the. GM). - which does not bode well for a GM in the final year of his contract.

I may warm up to this - we'll see. Initially completely under-whelmed -- in any event - I really don't. see the Angels doing much over the next three years. - we have three playoff type teams ahead of us in the AL West (Texas Champs not going away any time soon (they have a great manager); Houston (they have a new manager) and Seattle (they have our former GM).  So - it's transition time. -- and will possibly ownership change time soon.

Oh well, the Anaheim weather and ballpark will still draw 30,000. to 35,000. to game April - June/ July with that many 'seats sold' in August/ September even if not occupied.  Ownership likely satisfied with that. It's certainly more than what some other franchises can say.

46 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I'm not sure I'm the one to ask. I mean I've gone on record as saying that I don't think coaches make a lick of difference in the outcome of a single game at the major league level. And at the same time I was supportive in general of Aumus, Maddon and Nevin's hirings.

It looks like a great and entertaining staff to me. But I think I second what @Docwaukee said, now let's move on to the important things. 

The Rangers agree. 

As always people are going to see what they want to see in the hiring of Washington. He’s 71 years old. It’s a 2 year contract. He’s highly respected in the game.  People are skeptical of Arte forcing this, which boggles my mind. To me this is 100% Perry hiring his guy since he’s worked with him twice, in two different organizations. 

6 hours ago, disarcina said:

There's a sense that the Halos GM (in theist year of his contract in 24) was methodically interviewing candidates (I don't recall RW being on that list but perhaps he was last week) said he was 'taking his time' and then WHAM --  RW announced as new manager !  Has the signs of perhaps Arte stepping in making this happen (around the. GM)

We are at the point where literally everything that happens (and everything that doesn’t happen) is imagined to be Arte meddling, interfering, or some form thereof.

Yawn.

3 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

We are at the point where literally everything that happens (and everything that doesn’t happen) is imagined to be Arte meddling, interfering, or some form thereof.

Yawn.

Yep it’s a tired narrative. When the truth is bad there’s zero reason to pretend it’s worse. 

55 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

Braves Gm says losing Washington is a huge Loss for them

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2023/11/08/ron-washington-los-angeles-angels-manager/71508293007/

“Presence, intellect, respect, work ethic, integrity, off-the-charts ability to lead. I mean, that guy walks in a room, it’s over. He’s got it. He’s special. I’ve been in baseball since 2000. I’ve never been around someone like this before.”

I think I will take Anthopoulos opinion over the nay sayers in this thread. 

11 minutes ago, Blarg said:

“Presence, intellect, respect, work ethic, integrity, off-the-charts ability to lead. I mean, that guy walks in a room, it’s over. He’s got it. He’s special. I’ve been in baseball since 2000. I’ve never been around someone like this before.”

I think I will take Anthopoulos opinion over the nay sayers in this thread. 

He’s no Nevin.