• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Max Stassi

BTH

• 2 months later...

This is a great article from Blum.

"He still needs to utilize a tracheal tube for most of the day, to assist his breathing. The expectation is that he’ll need it until he’s around 2 years old. He used a gastrostomy tube in his belly, which fed him. He still has it, but the family mostly feeds him orally now.

“Your heart is just so broken that he has to go through that,” Stassi said. “There’s always a piece of me — you just want the best for your kids. To see what he had to go through on a daily basis, my heart just hurt. It was one of the worst feelings ever.”

Gaby added they never asked the doctors about Jackson’s chance of survival, because they didn’t want to hear the answer."

"Last summer was the first since he could remember that wasn’t defined by showing up to ballparks every day and meticulously going through pitching plans. If Max’s hip hadn’t been injured, it would have taken an even stronger emotional toll to not be behind the plate.

He heard from nearly all of his Angels teammates and coaches. Everyone from Mike Trout to Ippei Mizuhara, Shohei Ohtani’s interpreter. Angels second baseman Brandon Drury checked in this week. Stassi was particularly grateful for then-manager Phil Nevin, who reached out frequently.

Everyone understood that his presence on the field was far less important than his presence for his family.

“I just couldn’t leave my family really,” Stassi said. “Obviously (Jackson’s) situation was No. 1. … I needed to be there to learn about all the care that he needed.”

"When Max flies to Chicago from Phoenix in March, it won’t be anything like the panicked flight he took a year prior.

That was the start of a pause in his career, an abrupt halt, at a moment when anything on the field felt unimportant. This trip will signal its resumption — now with a new meaning attached.

At some point this season, Jackson will come to a game and watch his dad take the field. Beyond that, Stassi hopes to extend his career as long as he can. Not for himself. But because he wants Jackson to see him play and understand what he’s seeing, and what it means.

Stassi left baseball last year to take care of the son that needed him. Now, he’s gotten his career back, and with it, purpose.

“It’s going to mean everything,” Stassi said. “To have him in the stands, that will be emotional. But I want him to be able to be with his dad at the field. That’s the coolest thing ever. He’s my motivation to keep going and keep working hard.”

28 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

This is a great article from Blum.

"He still needs to utilize a tracheal tube for most of the day, to assist his breathing. The expectation is that he’ll need it until he’s around 2 years old. He used a gastrostomy tube in his belly, which fed him. He still has it, but the family mostly feeds him orally now.

“Your heart is just so broken that he has to go through that,” Stassi said. “There’s always a piece of me — you just want the best for your kids. To see what he had to go through on a daily basis, my heart just hurt. It was one of the worst feelings ever.”

Gaby added they never asked the doctors about Jackson’s chance of survival, because they didn’t want to hear the answer."

"Last summer was the first since he could remember that wasn’t defined by showing up to ballparks every day and meticulously going through pitching plans. If Max’s hip hadn’t been injured, it would have taken an even stronger emotional toll to not be behind the plate.

He heard from nearly all of his Angels teammates and coaches. Everyone from Mike Trout to Ippei Mizuhara, Shohei Ohtani’s interpreter. Angels second baseman Brandon Drury checked in this week. Stassi was particularly grateful for then-manager Phil Nevin, who reached out frequently.

Everyone understood that his presence on the field was far less important than his presence for his family.

“I just couldn’t leave my family really,” Stassi said. “Obviously (Jackson’s) situation was No. 1. … I needed to be there to learn about all the care that he needed.”

"When Max flies to Chicago from Phoenix in March, it won’t be anything like the panicked flight he took a year prior.

That was the start of a pause in his career, an abrupt halt, at a moment when anything on the field felt unimportant. This trip will signal its resumption — now with a new meaning attached.

At some point this season, Jackson will come to a game and watch his dad take the field. Beyond that, Stassi hopes to extend his career as long as he can. Not for himself. But because he wants Jackson to see him play and understand what he’s seeing, and what it means.

Stassi left baseball last year to take care of the son that needed him. Now, he’s gotten his career back, and with it, purpose.

“It’s going to mean everything,” Stassi said. “To have him in the stands, that will be emotional. But I want him to be able to be with his dad at the field. That’s the coolest thing ever. He’s my motivation to keep going and keep working hard.”

Watching two toddlers grow up right now, I can't imagine the horror, fear, and stress of this situation. I have mad respect for Max and his wife. 

• 1 month later...