• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

When do we find out the statuses of Nevin and Minasian beyond 2023?

BTH

3 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-draft-lottery-unlike-any-other

Are there any restrictions on which teams can participate in the lottery?

Yes. MLB’s system will have the most restrictions of the major sports and go further in reducing or preventing repeat winners.

Large-market teams (defined as teams that do not receive revenue sharing) are prohibited from receiving a selection in the lottery in consecutive years.

Small-market teams (revenue sharing recipients) are prohibited from receiving a selection in the lottery in three consecutive years.

Clubs that are ineligible to receive a lottery selection in future years due to these restrictions will be permitted to select no earlier than 10th overall.

Interesting. 

So the Angels will not be able to have a top 4 selection followed by a top 9 selection in back to back years as things currently stand.

That said, I believe that the revenue sharing numbers are almost entirely tied to payroll. So if the Angels reduce payroll to the point of becoming a revenue sharing recipient they will then become eligible for the small market exemption.

It's important to remember that the MLB rules have never been designed to promote competition, but rather to punish spending. 

5 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Interesting. 

So the Angels will not be able to have a top 4 selection followed by a top 9 selection in back to back years as things currently stand.

That said, I believe that the revenue sharing numbers are almost entirely tied to payroll. So if the Angels reduce payroll to the point of becoming a revenue sharing recipient they will then become eligible for the small market exemption.

It's important to remember that the MLB rules have never been designed to promote competition, but rather to punish spending. 

I don’t believe that’s the case. I don’t think if the Angels performed like the Rays, had a payroll like the Rays, but had 3 million fans and $150 million annual tv contract they would get revenue sharing money. I believe revenue sharing is tied to revenue brought in. 

21 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I don’t believe that’s the case. I don’t think if the Angels performed like the Rays, had a payroll like the Rays, but had 3 million fans and $150 million annual tv contract they would get revenue sharing money. I believe revenue sharing is tied to revenue brought in. 

It's a combo of the two, but mostly tied to revenue.

And to @AngelsLakersFan other point, I could be wrong (again, the whole system is VERY complicated and hard to understand), but I think it's that large market teams can't have a pick in the top 6 (which is what the draft lottery determines) one year and in the top 9 the next year.  So top 6, not top 4.

3 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

It's a combo of the two, but mostly tied to revenue.

And to @AngelsLakersFan other point, I could be wrong (again, the whole system is VERY complicated and hard to understand), but I think it's that large market teams can't have a pick in the top 6 (which is what the draft lottery determines) one year and in the top 9 the next year.  So top 6, not top 4.

It looks like the Angels are simply classified as "large market" by the league, regardless of any other factors. 

This does put them in a challenging spot... especially because some of these "small market" teams are getting supplemental picks these days. 

8 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

Interesting. I'm kind of hoping that they don't fire Perry. I like the way he's drafted and gone about trying to help this team. Having a revolving door of new Managers and GMs, to me, won't help solve anything. If the upper FO is looking for the perfect person then they need to take a step back. 

I also believe it's too late for Arte to make notice of a sell. Although i've seen stranger things.....

Edited by angelsnationtalk

If Arte fires Minasian it will set the club back another four year cycle. That is how long it takes for any GM to make a real change in the way the organization runs.

Minasian has created change from the minor leagues working up. With support for his long term plan the Angels may be able to break the cycle of hiring half a team of free agents and actually create a cost effective roster. 

But that requires Moreno to change with the GM instead of negating any moves by over spending on free agents while under budgeting the farm and analytics department. Moreno has to change, you can't buy championships. You have to build that team from the ground up. 

31 minutes ago, Blarg said:

If Arte fires Minasian it will set the club back another four year cycle. That is how long it takes for any GM to make a real change in the way the organization runs.

Minasian has created change from the minor leagues working up. With support for his long term plan the Angels may be able to break the cycle of hiring half a team of free agents and actually create a cost effective roster. 

But that requires Moreno to change with the GM instead of negating any moves by over spending on free agents while under budgeting the farm and analytics department. Moreno has to change, you can't buy championships. You have to build that team from the ground up. 

I am very much in the “keep Minasian” camp. It seems to me that Minasian has more influence with Arte than DiPoto or Eppler did. Maybe he’s more aggressive (Eppler always seemed to be a “go along to get along guy). 

He’s put together a good young core of players to build around. Would like to see him keep that going while going into another draft and waiting for some of the young international players to come up through the system. 

The main thing Minasian has to be better at is acquiring pitchers.   Has mostly struck out there the past 3 years.

He has started rebuilding the farm, the int’l player signing has improved, and just maybe the draft a HS pitcher later on and pay early round slot money each season strategy works long term.

Edited by Angel Oracle

2 hours ago, bruin5 said:

I am very much in the “keep Minasian” camp. It seems to me that Minasian has more influence with Arte than DiPoto or Eppler did. Maybe he’s more aggressive (Eppler always seemed to be a “go along to get along guy). 

He’s put together a good young core of players to build around. Would like to see him keep that going while going into another draft and waiting for some of the young international players to come up through the system. 

Yep, prevented pursuit of the vastly overpaid Trea Turner.

5 hours ago, Blarg said:

I don't know a job that you can fail this badly for three years and expect to be back. Stoneman took over a team and won the World Series in year 2. So it can be done. 

The farm / scouting may have been better in the 90's but the team very much operated as a mid market under Autry and Disney...they didn't spend the way Arte has on payroll. 

What they need is a President of Baseball Ops, and a new GM, someone entrusted to run the entire operations department and keep Carpino and Kuhl out of the media, and keep Arte out of spending, etc. They need to redo the scouting departments, embrace technology and analytics (but keep out of in game decisions, the divide needs to be clear). They need to emulate the Dodgers front office and work to build the whole organization back into a consistent winner.

Things will be different without Ohtani's presence.

This season was largely structured around giving him a chance to make the playoffs. The deadline deals may have been very different otherwise. 

Going forward I'd keep Perry. But give him full autonomy and let him build from the ground up. Without an artificial deadline to make the playoffs.

It will take a few years, but maybe not that many. Look at some of the playoff teams that lost ninety or more games just a few years ago. 

Trying to be positive, it could be fun and entertaining watching a team grow rather than judge by high expectations. And a chance for the veterans to mentor and show leadership besides building up personal stats. 

52 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I don't know a job that you can fail this badly for three years and expect to be back. Stoneman took over a team and won the World Series in year 2. So it can be done. 

The farm / scouting may have been better in the 90's but the team very much operated as a mid market under Autry and Disney...they didn't spend the way Arte has on payroll. 

What they need is a President of Baseball Ops, and a new GM, someone entrusted to run the entire operations department and keep Carpino and Kuhl out of the media, and keep Arte out of spending, etc. They need to redo the scouting departments, embrace technology and analytics (but keep out of in game decisions, the divide needs to be clear). They need to emulate the Dodgers front office and work to build the whole organization back into a consistent winner.

You and everyone else needs to seriously get over the whole President of Baseball Ops thing.  It’s a title used to either poach executives from other teams, and prevent our own guys from being poached.  It has no real meaning outside of that, and certainly wouldn’t here, where Arte will continue to have an ultimate say in all baseball ops

1 minute ago, mmc said:

You and everyone else needs to seriously get over the whole President of Baseball Ops thing.  It’s a title used to either poach executives from other teams, and prevent our own guys from being poached.  It has no real meaning outside of that, and certainly wouldn’t here, where Arte will continue to have an ultimate say in all baseball ops

I want a baseball guy running the whole show. Not just a GM who has to answer to several folks, like Carpino or Kuhl or Moreno. The Owner needs to take a step back, and let a baseball guy run everything. 

If you think that's Perry, sure, but I don't.

Just now, Hubs said:

I want a baseball guy running the whole show. Not just a GM who has to answer to several folks, like Carpino or Kuhl or Moreno. The Owner needs to take a step back, and let a baseball guy run everything. 

If you think that's Perry, sure, but I don't.

I think regardless if it’s Perry as the GM or Epstein as the vaunted PoBO, the organizational structure won’t change 

Just now, Jay said:

We can hope that Arte will come to his senses at some point and overhaul the organizational structure.

He won’t but he could (and should) regardless of whether the person with full autonomy to run baseball ops has the title of GM or President.  Simply hiring some guy and naming him president is entirely meaningless as long as Arte stays the same

4 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Problem is Arte Moreno fancies himself baseball knowledgeable.

Not based on the past 8 seasons, he isn’t.

I’d like to think that he is listening to Minasian, since they didn’t sign Turner.  But who knows with Moreno.

Arte thinks he's a smart baseball man, but in reality he's just a casual fan.  When they signed Rendon, at the press conference he said something like, "I watched him in the playoffs this year, and he's really good."

Thanks for that in depth analysis, and great justification as to why you should sign someone to a mega deal.