• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

When do we find out the statuses of Nevin and Minasian beyond 2023?

BTH

10 hours ago, Hubs said:

Again, Carpino for the Scandals and Injuries. 

And I posted about this a few months back. Name 5 successful Major League Trades, Free Agent Signings, or Waiver Claims.

1) O'Hoppe trade

2) Moniak trade

3) Matt Moore Signing

4) ?

5) ?

4) Drury signing

5) Urshela trade

6) Estevez signing (yeah, he's not been good as of late, but he has been an overall benefit to the team)

7) Moustakas trade

Edited by Mark68

On 9/25/2023 at 8:24 PM, Blarg said:

That's 15 players in 3 years which is a lot of talent by your assessment. Maybe you should look at some of the other ballclubs and how their trades paid off. 

15 good moves. Some involved the same player (Iglesias). He made 54 other acquisitions or trades, and the other 30 some odd players have been Meh or garbage. SO...

14 minutes ago, Hubs said:

15 good moves. Some involved the same player (Iglesias). He made 54 other acquisitions or trades, and the other 30 some odd players have been Meh or garbage. SO...

Lol, the metric you're choosing to judge his ability is pretty ridiculous.  At least a third of the moves you chose to grade are literally just filling out the fringes of the 40 man roster, and when you're going to categorize moves that aren't even worth discussing and really don't reflect anything on the GM as "meh", it's obviously going to seem disproportionately negative.  I'd love for you to do a similar 3 year breakdown of a highly regarded GM around the league and see how much meh you come up with.  Why not focus on the shit that actually matters?

You already said awhile ago that you're on team mohawk though, so I guess this isn't surprising

1 minute ago, mmc said:

Lol, the metric you're choosing to judge his ability is pretty ridiculous.  At least a third of the moves you chose to grade are literally just filling out the fringes of the 40 man roster, and when you're going to categorize moves that aren't even worth discussing and really don't reflect anything on the GM as "meh", it's obviously going to seem disproportionately negative.  I'd love for you to do a similar 3 year breakdown of a highly regarded GM around the league and see how much meh you come up with.  Why not focus on the shit that actually matters?

Well according to you, its ridiculous to use win / loss too.

I also excluded the majority of minor league moves and call ups for the fringes of the roster.

This is just major league moves to fill out the 26 man.

32 minutes ago, mmc said:

You already said awhile ago that you're on team mohawk though, so I guess this isn't surprising

After reading Maddon's book, the allegations of interference from Perry are clear and fundamentally wrong. I suggest you check it out.

Edited by Hubs

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Suggest we read a book from a guy that was a huge part of the problem. Pass. 

You think he was a huge part of the problem? Without hearing/reading his side of things? Maddon had a ton of injuries too, but his record is a lot closer to .500 than Nevin or Ausmus.

And he as a career .532 record as a manager even with the Angels Stints and some bad Rays teams.

10 minutes ago, Hubs said:

You think he was a huge part of the problem? Without hearing/reading his side of things? Maddon had a ton of injuries too, but his record is a lot closer to .500 than Nevin or Ausmus.

And he as a career .532 record as a manager even with the Angels Stints and some bad Rays teams.

Yes I believe so because he didn’t value defense or value putting those defenders in a position to be successful. Oh and walking a guy with the bases loaded, leading to other runs scoring, then claiming it worked (because the team bailed him out by scoring more runs to make up for his shitty decision) tells me he’s a big problem.  

Nevin gets stamp of approval from his players

https://www.mlb.com/news/angels-players-weigh-in-on-playing-for-phil-nevin

“He’s very personable,” Detmers said. “You can talk to him about anything. He's straight up with you, which I love. He'll tell you how it is and that's what I think what players need. He’ll tell you if you're doing bad and he'll tell you if you're doing good. And that's more of a trust thing. So yeah, he was awesome. Couldn't ask for a better manager.”

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

Nevin gets stamp of approval from his players

https://www.mlb.com/news/angels-players-weigh-in-on-playing-for-phil-nevin

“He’s very personable,” Detmers said. “You can talk to him about anything. He's straight up with you, which I love. He'll tell you how it is and that's what I think what players need. He’ll tell you if you're doing bad and he'll tell you if you're doing good. And that's more of a trust thing. So yeah, he was awesome. Couldn't ask for a better manager.”

image.gif

4 hours ago, Just Sayin said:

Is this something new? A Manager who “will tell you if you’re doing bad and will tell you if you’re doing good”

Is this something that literally no other big league manager would do? 😂

You’re kidding me…right Detmers?

😂😂

Who's the only other major league manger he's played for? You think Maddon is straight up about anything other than maybe the dire consequences of getting between him and a tv camera?

17 hours ago, Hubs said:

This is just major league moves to fill out the 26 man.

2023 the Angels had 66 players cycle through the 25 man roster

2022 the Angels had 66 players cycle through the 25 man roster

2021 the Angels had 64 players cycle through the 25 man roster

That is your three years that you expected better trade results. If the Angels only needed a couple guys to fill the 25 man it probably makes it easier to fill in those holes. But, 66 players a season? You are going to bring in a lot of MEH just to get through each month. 

9 minutes ago, Blarg said:

If the Angels only needed a couple guys to fill the 25 man it probably makes it easier to fill in those holes. But, 66 players a season? You are going to bring in a lot of MEH just to get through each month. 

TBF, part of the reason they’ve used 65+ guys is because they have a bunch of bad players as depth.

If you had quality depth, you wouldn’t need to cycle through five 4th outfielders and five 3B in order to try and find one somewhat competent one.

No fucking team has 66 players of depth. No fucking team fills in their entire infield and two outfielders for over half the season along with their bench. No team has that depth. That is a stupid ass narrative and one you really need to get out of your head.

And that was just the fielding and nothing to do with the pitching which over taxes the bullpen with the stupid 6 man rotation. 

5 minutes ago, Blarg said:

No fucking team has 66 players of depth. No fucking team fills in their entire infield and two outfielders for over half the season along with their bench. No team has that depth. That is a stupid ass narrative and one you really need to get out of your head.

And that was just the fielding and nothing to do with the pitching which over taxes the bullpen with the stupid 6 man rotation. 

Yep if they only had 8 infielders, 6 outfielders and 4 catchers on the 26 man roster they wouldn’t have needed 66 players. Dumbasses. 

The fact is the Angels started the season with their veteran catcher unable to suit up. That put the second string depth in O'Hoppe in the starting role and fringe 3rd string catcher in the backup role. A month later they playing the 3rd and 4th string catchers for most of the season. That is an example of just one position that went 4 deep and never came out. 

53 minutes ago, Blarg said:

46 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yep if they only had 8 infielders, 6 outfielders and 4 catchers on the 26 man roster they wouldn’t have needed 66 players. Dumbasses. 

I guess my point fits the 2022 Angels better than the 2023 Angels.

My point with the 2022 Angels was that if say, Jose Rojas stepped up and held down the 3B spot, they wouldn’t need to cycle through Mayfield, Wade, MacKinnon, Villar, etc. at 3B.

Same goes for the outfield with Thomas, Lagares, Whitefield, Sierra, Dugggar, etc.

30 minutes ago, BTH said:

I guess my point fits the 2022 Angels better than the 2023 Angels.

My point with the 2022 Angels was that if say, Jose Rojas stepped up and held down the 3B spot, they wouldn’t need to cycle through Mayfield, Wade, MacKinnon, Villar, etc. at 3B.

Same goes for the outfield with Thomas, Lagares, Whitefield, Sierra, Dugggar, etc.

I think the depth (potentially) could be better next year….maybe Fletcher slots in as a decent utility guy…Rengifo and Drury give you 3b, 1b (Drury) and 2b depth…Stefanic (maybe) could be decent 3b/2b depth, particularly if he continues to hit in the spring…Trout, Moniak, Ward and Adell give you 4 OF options…Stassi, with O’Hoppe and Thaiss, could give you 3 C’s….and all of that is before any trades or FA signings.

1 hour ago, DMVol said:

I think the depth (potentially) could be better next year….maybe Fletcher slots in as a decent utility guy…Rengifo and Drury give you 3b, 1b (Drury) and 2b depth…Stefanic (maybe) could be decent 3b/2b depth, particularly if he continues to hit in the spring…Trout, Moniak, Ward and Adell give you 4 OF options…Stassi, with O’Hoppe and Thaiss, could give you 3 C’s….and all of that is before any trades or FA signings.

The tricky thing is you’re relying on a lot of guys coming back from injuries or missed time.

Rengifo, Rendon, Trout, Ward, and Stassi aren’t finishing the season healthy/active.

Moniak, Thaiss, Adell and O’Hoppe aren’t far removed from injuries either.

38 minutes ago, BTH said:

The tricky thing is you’re relying on a lot of guys coming back from injuries or missed time.

Rengifo, Rendon, Trout, Ward, and Stassi aren’t finishing the season healthy/active.

Moniak, Thaiss, Adell and O’Hoppe aren’t far removed from injuries either.

Only Stassi is questionable to return to baseball. That is a conversation between him and Minasian and will determine a free agent option. 

There are 5 months before spring training. None of the players you listed will have any residual affects from injuries sustained this season. 

The only real question mark is Rendon's ability to ever stay on the field. So catcher and 3rd base is your only fielding depth concerns. But they are not stockpiling 6 extra infielders and four extra outfielders at MLB replacement value as depth in the minor leagues. No one is.