• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

When do we find out the statuses of Nevin and Minasian beyond 2023?

BTH

1 minute ago, mmc said:

I care nothing for Carpino but firing him will have nowhere near the impact people think it will.  Not only is he not involved in baseball operations but Arte would just find someone else to run the organization the way he wants it ran.  The problem is at the top and the constant shuffling of names will do nothing but make things more chaotic

Hiring a baseball mind to run the organization like the Dodgers did with Stan Kasten is the benefit. Arte should also probably sell or at least give up the controlling interest in the team. But I don't think Arte Is the problem, yes he interferes, and yes he doesn't spend money on some weird things, but it's the yes men, and the lack of a sufficient structure, which is problematic.

1 minute ago, Hubs said:

Again, Carpino for the Scandals and Injuries. 

And I posted about this a few months back. Name 5 successful Major League Trades, Free Agent Signings, or Waiver Claims.

1) O'Hoppe trade

2) Moniak trade

3) Matt Moore Signing

4) ?

5) ?

Drury signing, Iglesias trade, Estevez signing, Urshela trade (before he got hurt), Lorenzen and Syndergaard both did their jobs, can keep going

2 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Hiring a baseball mind to run the organization like the Dodgers did with Stan Kasten is the benefit. Arte should also probably sell or at least give up the controlling interest in the team. But I don't think Arte Is the problem, yes he interferes, and yes he doesn't spend money on some weird things, but it's the yes men, and the lack of a sufficient structure, which is problematic.

… and who do you think is responsible for that?

2 minutes ago, mmc said:

Drury signing, Iglesias trade, Estevez signing, Urshela trade (before he got hurt), Lorenzen and Syndergaard both did their jobs, can keep going

Ok on Drury, that's 3. Estevez has been bad in the second half, but it's not a high dollar move so thats 4. Urhsela, Lorenzen and Syndergaard are meh. Mediocre moves that didn't bring success. 

Iglesias trade was one of the worst trades I've ever seen. So no. And don't give me the free up dollar bullshit. They did that because he wanted to reduce payroll for the team to be more palatable for a new owner. But they got nothing back from one of the deepest, most well run organizations in baseball. They could've asked for some low level minor leaguers, and they didn't even get that. They got Tucker I can't pitch Davidson and Jesse Chavez for one of the best closers in the game. 

5 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Ok on Drury, that's 3. Estevez has been bad in the second half, but it's not a high dollar move so thats 4. Urhsela, Lorenzen and Syndergaard are meh. Mediocre moves that didn't bring success. 

Iglesias trade was one of the worst trades I've ever seen. So no. And don't give me the free up dollar bullshit. They did that because he wanted to reduce payroll for the team to be more palatable for a new owner. But they got nothing back from one of the deepest, most well run organizations in baseball. They could've asked for some low level minor leaguers, and they didn't even get that. They got Tucker I can't pitch Davidson and Jesse Chavez for one of the best closers in the game. 

Getting Iglesias, if that's what you meant, counts. So...ok 5.

32 minutes ago, mmc said:

Half year of Estevez was good since break he stinks. Loup, Tepera, Anderson signings trade for Renfroe, Giolito, Lopez, the Dominator, Cron, Grichuk, Escobar all bad trades.

I've come up with 54 major league moves in three seasons. There are a few good minor league ones included here as well, but overall I didn't include them if they didn't work out. 

Here's how I rank them 7 Excellent Moves, 8 Good Moves, 13 Bad Moves, and 26 Meh Moves. so 15-54 is not a great success rate. Even if you move a few of the meh into the good category, you don't end up with a 50% success rate.

image.png

Edited by Hubs

1 hour ago, mmc said:

If they fire Minasian even though he’s continuously added young talent to the major league team every year he’s been here to make him the fall guy for his entire roster getting hurt, they deserve to fail

Two reasons why a Minasian firing would be justified:

1. Arte has decided to change his ways, pay up for a top executive, and agree to stay out of the way and let the head of baseball ops do their job.

2. Arte wants to hire a GM, have that person pick their manager, and have a long-term relationship between those two key positions.

One of the reasons why I’d be OK with firing Minasian is that I don’t want Perry hiring a new manager, Perry getting fired after next year, and having another situation where the GM and manager aren’t on the same page.

So to avoid that, Arte needs to do one of those two things above or extend Perry.

31 minutes ago, BTH said:

Two reasons why a Minasian firing would be justified:

1. Arte has decided to change his ways, pay up for a top executive, and agree to stay out of the way and let the head of baseball ops do their job.

2. Arte wants to hire a GM, have that person pick their manager, and have a long-term relationship between those two key positions.

One of the reasons why I’d be OK with firing Minasian is that I don’t want Perry hiring a new manager, Perry getting fired after next year, and having another situation where the GM and manager aren’t on the same page.

So to avoid that, Arte needs to do one of those two things above or extend Perry.

Extending Perry and having him pick his long term manager are what I’m hoping for

23 minutes ago, Tank said:

when you take everything into account for how this season has gone, is it reasonable/fair to expect that any manager could have gotten more out of this group than nevin did?

Yes.

Since mid-August, when the roster was a complete mess, no manager could do much.

But another manager could’ve gotten more out of the team from April to mid-August.

That first month, they could’ve been 20-8 instead of 15-13.

The final two games in that Cleveland series in May were a managerial disaster class.

That awful losing streak before the all-star break.

Complete no-show vs. Seattle in August.

30 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

So they should have kept Ausmus

If we’re playing revisionist history, they should’ve kept Ausmus for one more year and fired him and Eppler at the same time so Perry could hire his own manager right at the start of his tenure.

Plus, you’d avoid the Maddon tenure.