• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

When do we find out the statuses of Nevin and Minasian beyond 2023?

BTH

I could be off, but I believe in the past:

• They announced Nevin’s 1-year extension pre-game before the final game of the 2022 season.

• They announced Eppler’s dismissal after the final game of the 2020 season.

• They announced Ausmus’ firing on the next day?

• Scioscia had the post-game retirement press conference? I know Rosenthal reported the rumor mid-season that Scioscia called poppycock.

And what about the statuses of the coaches? I guess that depends on the fate of Nevin/Perry?

• BTH changed the title to When do we find out the statuses of Nevin and Minasian beyond 2023?

I'm sure they can't say shit about Minasian because Moreno hosed him by pulling back on selling the team in January, basically after free agency was pretty much wrapped up. That and his drafts are filling in the major league roster which has not happened with the two previous GMs. His job is secure. 

That other guy, maybe not. 

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

Nevin will be gone after the last game. We will hear about it either Sunday or Monday. They won’t announce anything with Minasian because his contract isn’t up. 

Agreed....I do think Minasian deserves a least another year....I'm not in the anti-Nevin crowd but I don't think he's shown enough in close to 2 full seasons to warrant bringing him back....not all his fault, for sure....

10 hours ago, Tank said:

if they're keeping someone, they tend to announce it before the season ends. 

if they're getting the ax, that usually gets announced the day after the season ends.

That makes sense.

But as other said, maybe we hear nothing about Minasian since he’s still under contract.

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

Nevin will be gone after the last game. We will hear about it either Sunday or Monday. They won’t announce anything with Minasian because his contract isn’t up. 

Billy Eppler had a year left on his contract and they fired him immediately after the final game. 

9 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Ok. 

I’m just saying that whether he stays or goes and when they decide that is all independent of what his contract is. 

All that matters is what Arte wants to do. 

@Jeff Fletcher :  1) Nevin more likely gone than Misasian? (that seems pretty likely).  2) Percentage that Minasian is back?

I don't say this to defend Minasian, but next year either he or his replacement will be fielding a team where Trout and Rendon are making something like $75 million.

That tweet from over the weekend showing Trout's games played after the all star game each year should pop up here. (And I've been saying it since last year.... Trout is still Trout... the problem is the new definition of Trout is that he's going to miss half the season every year). And Rendon has barely played a full season of games spread over 4 years.

The FA class sucks, and we have almost nothing left to trade.

Fire Minasian, sure. What is that going to change though? A new GM isn't going to make a better FA class, or give us a better farm this winter.

Nevin hasn't been terrible, but neither has he been above average. Some of the in game decisions especially were questionable. But even here he had to rely on the input of his coaches with his decision making. 

You do have to cut him some slack though, given the catastrophic injury parade. And having to deal with the Ohtani side show in various ways. Tough for any manager on a daily basis having to juggle lineups because of the constant roster changes. 

The post trade deadline disaster may be the biggest negative. Not his fault as such, with more revolving door dysfunction. However it could have been a time for a better focus and inspirational leadership. Instead it unravelled steadily, with Nevin seemingly helpless and frustrated. 

I think a new manager and  an entire new coaching staff would be a breath of fresh air and signal a new direction. 

35 minutes ago, Duren, Duren said:

Nevin hasn't been terrible, but neither has he been above average. Some of the in game decisions especially were questionable. But even here he had to rely on the input of his coaches with his decision making. 

You do have to cut him some slack though, given the catastrophic injury parade. And having to deal with the Ohtani side show in various ways. Tough for any manager on a daily basis having to juggle lineups because of the constant roster changes. 

The post trade deadline disaster may be the biggest negative. Not his fault as such, with more revolving door dysfunction. However it could have been a time for a better focus and inspirational leadership. Instead it unravelled steadily, with Nevin seemingly helpless and frustrated. 

I think a new manager and  an entire new coaching staff would be a breath of fresh air and signal a new direction. 

Above Average? They won 70 games so far this year, and he was 46-60 last year.

.451 season this year so far, and .434 last year. 

That's not above average.

2 minutes ago, Hubs said:

As they should for Minasian, and Tam, and heck Carpino. This organization needs a major overhaul. 

@mmc You can facepalm all you want. I like results and results matter. Nevin hasn't had the results, and the organization has scandal after scandal, leads the league in injuries, and can't win. They need a major overhaul, and I can't understand how you don't think so.

Just now, mmc said:

If they fire Minasian even though he’s continuously added young talent to the major league team every year he’s been here to make him the fall guy for his entire roster getting hurt, they deserve to fail

Minasian has been objectively terrible evaluating free agents and making trades. He's like 4-34 in successful major league moves.

I get that he's got a good eye for the young talent in the draft, and so maybe he's a good scout or has good scouts, or would be a good scouting director. But he's not a good GM...

1 minute ago, Hubs said:

@mmc You can facepalm all you want. I like results and results matter. Nevin hasn't had the results, and the organization has scandal after scandal, leads the league in injuries, and can't win. They need a major overhaul, and I can't understand how you don't think so.

Minasian has been objectively terrible evaluating free agents and making trades. He's like 4-34 in successful major league moves.

I get that he's got a good eye for the young talent in the draft, and so maybe he's a good scout or has good scouts, or would be a good scouting director. But he's not a good GM...

Injuries is why I say fire Carpino. They need a guy to build a successful major league organization, and that includes better training staff, better nutritionists, and better equipment from the lowest minor league club to the big club. Some injuries are freak injuries like Trout's Hamate or when he broke his finger sliding. But some are because of poor diet, poor nutrition, poor prep and poor weight room....And CJ Wilson was a malcontent in a lot of ways, but the thing about Albert's treadmill..c'mon man.

With all the injuries I do not blame Nevin. Bad trades and free agent signings have hurt. Nevin is good with younger players so I keep him. Angels need to decide what direction this team is going in first. Ohtani gone and find out what Trout would want to stay or go. If both are gone a reset button should be pushed. Go with young players no big free agent deals. Stay away from pitchers like Giolito.

7 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Scandals and injuries have nothing to do with Minasian so I don’t know why you’re using them in your argument.  His success rate is way higher than that.  

6 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Injuries is why I say fire Carpino. They need a guy to build a successful major league organization, and that includes better training staff, better nutritionists, and better equipment from the lowest minor league club to the big club. Some injuries are freak injuries like Trout's Hamate or when he broke his finger sliding. But some are because of poor diet, poor nutrition, poor prep and poor weight room....And CJ Wilson was a malcontent in a lot of ways, but the thing about Albert's treadmill..c'mon man.

I care nothing for Carpino but firing him will have nowhere near the impact people think it will.  Not only is he not involved in baseball operations but Arte would just find someone else to run the organization the way he wants it ran.  The problem is at the top and the constant shuffling of names will do nothing but make things more chaotic

Just now, mmc said:

Scandals and injuries have nothing to do with Minasian so I don’t know why you’re using them in your argument.  His success rate is way higher than that.  

Again, Carpino for the Scandals and Injuries. 

And I posted about this a few months back. Name 5 successful Major League Trades, Free Agent Signings, or Waiver Claims.

1) O'Hoppe trade

2) Moniak trade

3) Matt Moore Signing

4) ?

5) ?