• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels save about $5.7 million after 5 waived players are claimed

The Angels’ plan to cut payroll and avoid the luxury tax in this disappointing season appears to have worked.

Five of the six veterans the Angels put on waivers were reportedly claimed, knocking about $5.7 million off their 2023 payroll. Although the luxury tax calculations are not official until December, the Angels are now below the $233 million threshold, according to FanGraphs.

Pitchers Lucas Giolito, Matt Moore and Reynaldo López were claimed by the Cleveland Guardians, who play next weekend in Anaheim. Right-hander Dominic Leone was claimed by the Seattle Mariners. Outfielder Hunter Renfroe was claimed by the Cincinnati Reds. Outfielder Randal Grichuk went unclaimed, so he can remain with the Angels if they choose to keep him.

The Angels are off Thursday, so they will have until Friday to call up roster replacements before their game in Oakland.

Although there would have been modest tax implications for the Angels to exceed the luxury tax in 2023, the rate would have gone up from 20% to 30% if they exceeded the threshold for a second straight year in 2024. Now they can pay just the 20% tax if they go over next season. The tax is 50% for the third consecutive season over the threshold.

If the Angels lose Shohei Ohtani after making him a qualifying offer, they would receive a compensation pick after the second round if they are under the luxury-tax threshold. It would have been after the fourth round if they were over the threshold.

The Angels’ decision to place so many players on waivers sent shock waves throughout the industry, leading to speculation that Major League Baseball may change the rule that allowed the Angels to do so.

The Angels, however, found themselves in an unusual circumstance that made this move logical. Most teams out of the pennant race simply trade players in July to cut costs, but the Angels were in the race when they acquired players before the Aug. 1 trade deadline. It was only after the team went into a tailspin in August that they fell out of the race.

The Angels also have an unusually large number of impending free agents with reasonable contracts, making it more probable a contender would be likely to take on their salaries.

View the full article

5 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

Evidently this worked out very well.   Too well as far a MLB is concerned.

IMO MLB should prorate the Luxury tax salaries for Games played by players in the IL over 50% of the games

A post by Swordsman I actually agree with. 

I've been too busy with things at home lately, so glad I didn't get that Giolito jersey I was planning on grabbing.

Kidding aside, what a huge letdown. I know it's already been said, but losing a huge trade chip for one shitty month of him is a huge, huge L.

And I know Renfroe was a massive letdown, but damn. I was really hoping he was going to be a good player here. 

6 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I've been too busy with things at home lately, so glad I didn't get that Giolito jersey I was planning on grabbing.

Kidding aside, what a huge letdown. I know it's already been said, but losing a huge trade chip for one shitty month of him is a huge, huge L.

And I know Renfroe was a massive letdown, but damn. I was really hoping he was going to be a good player here. 

Renfroe looked great for a month. I figured since he was streaky he would come back around again but big disappointment.

Even more frustrating about Giolito is I felt he was a solid re-sign candidate or a winter target even before we traded for him and now I’m not that interested.

6 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Kidding aside, what a huge letdown. I know it's already been said, but losing an unproven AA level catcher for one shitty month of him is a huge, huge L.

FIFY

Who gives a shit man.  In this forum format it’s not possible for me to emphasis how little of a shit I give about the Reds getting Hunter Renfroe or the Guardians getting Giolito along with Moore and Lopez.  I could not possibly give less of a shit about how this impacts those playoff races. 

28 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I predict that Giolito pitches a lot better for Cleveland.

His struggles here better send a final message to Minasian that something is wrong with the pitching portion of the coaching.

And if he doesn’t perform better in Cleveland should that not send a message to Minasian?  I mean remember how the Dodgers were going to fix Syndergaard?  

Just now, UndertheHalo said:

Who gives a shit man.  In this forum format it’s not possible for me to emphasis how little of a shit I give about the Reds getting Hunter Renfroe or the Guardians getting Giolito along with Moore and Lopez.  I could not possibly give less of a shit about how this impacts those playoff races. 

Star Wars Hug GIF

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

Even more frustrating about Giolito is I felt he was a solid re-sign candidate or a winter target even before we traded for him and now I’m not that interested.

on the positive side, the Angels found out Giolito wasn’t a fit now without having to pay/roster him in 2024 and beyond.

46 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

image.gif

2 hours ago, BTH said:

on the positive side, the Angels found out Giolito wasn’t a fit now without having to pay/roster him in 2024 and beyond.

i was hoping giolito would pitch well enough here and like it so much that we could sign him in the winter and use him to convince jack flaherty to come west also.

so much for that plan.

Wow. Giolito was literally that girl you get in bed with cause she's tempting. Give her a couple chances for a few weeks then give her the boot cause it's lousy. 

Goddamn what a disappointment that dude was, but I'm glad they canned him.

18 hours ago, Stradling said:

And if he doesn’t perform better in Cleveland should that not send a message to Minasian?  I mean remember how the Dodgers were going to fix Syndergaard?  

Syndergaard is unfixable, lack of movement on his pitches. Doyers figured that out, guess they just had to see it theirselves. 

20 hours ago, Hubs said:

A post by Swordsman I actually agree with. 

He's got good ones, I know the consensus is to crap on him, but always nice to have to some feathers ruffled 'round here. 

17 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

Howard the duck railed Marty Mcflys mom.  Pretty cool imo.  

🫡🫡🫡🫡🫡🫡

I will contend with anyone that Lea Thompson was a f***in' babe in her prime, like I would say top 5 in my books as an underrated hottie. Until like 5 years ago, she still looked great. I would. All day every day.  

2 hours ago, CaliAngel said:

I will contend with anyone that Lea Thompson was a f***in' babe in her prime, like I would say top 5 in my books as an underrated hottie. Until like 5 years ago, she still looked great. I would. All day every day.  

i'm having lunch with her on sunday. i'll let her know how you feel.

12 hours ago, CaliAngel said:

I can let her know myself. Tell me where you're having lunch, I'll steal her from you in 15 seconds. 

Hell, I'll even drop you a Benjamin for your services...

del taco in corona, just off the 91 fwy. we'll be there around 1:30. please stop by.