• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels select Nolan Schanuel, reinstate Logan O'Hoppe, place CJ Cron on 10-day IL, DFA Chad Wallach, move Rendon to 60-day IL

Chuck

I think one of the hardest skills for someone to learn is plate discipline and correct identifying "your pitch" to hit.  Obviously his BB/K rates in college are amazing, and that trend has held serve so far in his very short minor league stay.

Again, if anything else, it's fun to see a youth movement.  Neto looked very solid prior to his injury issues.  Moniak has cooled off considerably but still looks like a very useful role player (strong side of a platoon).  O'Hoppe looked solid in his time here.  Silseth has had his struggles but has made significant progress and looks very good now.

It takes time to build a winning organization, but Perry does seem to be rather good at helping facilitate player development.

If we don't make the playoffs, next season we'll possibly have one of the youngest teams in the league.  

Adell, Neto, O'hoppe, and Schaunel all project as regulars in 2024.  On the pitching side, we have Joyce, Soriano, Bachman and CRod, all in place for roles in 2024.  If Ohtani stays, we're golden.  

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

No.  Bob Horner was in the majors like a week after getting drafted and skipped the minors.  John Olerud skipped the minors, too, though he debuted in September of the year he was drafted.  Former Angels exec Eddie Bane debuted in July of '73 after being drafted in June.  David Clyde, who was the first overall pick in '73, went straight to the majors out of high school.

There have been a handful of others, too, if I'm not mistaken.  Those are just from the top of my head.

Pete Incaviglia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Incaviglia

47 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

If we don't make the playoffs, next season we'll possibly have one of the youngest teams in the league.  

Adell, Neto, O'hoppe, and Schaunel all project as regulars in 2024.  On the pitching side, we have Joyce, Soriano, Bachman and CRod, all in place for roles in 2024.  If Ohtani stays, we're golden.  

we still believing in this dude?

Rendon to the 60 Day IL?

It was retroactive to July 11, so that means September 8th or 9th is when he'd be eligible to come back, so he must still be weeks away from being healthy enough to resume baseball activities.

Cron to 10 day IL, Rendon to 60 Day IL is my guess of the roster moves.

Yeah, I mean, he was hitting with a metal bat in Florida, but bat to ball skills will translate well.

From the ESPN article about the promotion

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/38215301/nolan-schanuel-mlb-draft-rookie-los-angles-angels

Schanuel was hitting .370/.510/.493 in 21 minor league games after a standout career at Florida Atlantic.

The .493 Slugging Percentage is evidence of what I said above, his power is going to take a bit of time, but a .510 OBP in AA? Yes Please.

From the beginning of the spring, picking up pace until draft day, some scouts swore that Schanuel was the best hitter in the draft not named Dylan Crews or Wyatt Langford. The report from those scouts was basically that Schanuel was at least a plus hitter with plus pitch selection and plus power -- something like a .270 average, .350 on-base percentage and 25 homers, broadly speaking. That's not a superstar as a first baseman, but it's a really valuable player, particularly while making the league minimum in his first three MLB seasons.

5 minutes ago, LaPalma said:

Yes, 21 games in AA and he’s ready to go.

Watch him get his confidence wrecked.  Way too soon.

It’s way too soon to even entertain the idea that it’s way too soon.

Was Neto way too soon?  That dude is a fucking ballplayer and it sure looks like he 100% belongs.

So maybe STFU was a little edgy, but the message really wasn’t wrong.

How about STFU until we see this guy play?

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Z said:

we still believing in this dude?

No.  If he eventually makes it back, great.  But I don't think any rational plan for '24 forward has him anywhere on the board. 

I also think it's still too early to rely on Joyce and Bachman, given their injury histories and their limited big league exposure.