• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels acquire Randal Grichuk and CJ Cron for Jake Madden and Mason Albright (option Cabbage, DFA Padlo, place Ward on 60-day IL)

mmc

27 minutes ago, Blarg said:

The Angels don't need to prove shit to Ohtani. They need to win games and Ohtani can come along for the ride. These guys make it so they can continue forward and not fall out of the race but it has nothing to do with Ohtani, it has to do with finally getting to the playoffs.

Well, no, but they need him to agree to re-sign with the team.  They are clearly going "all in" in Ohtani's walk year, despite rather poor odds, likely to show him they will do what it takes to win.  The team has not really been in a winning position ever since he's been here.  

This team badly needs Ohtani to stay.  They could have traded him and gotten a fairly good (but likely not commensurate) prospect return for him, but they did not, and they are going "all in" to the degree possible.  Even if it is a failed playoff run that ensues, if this is what convinces Ohtani to stay, then it is obviously worth whatever prospects they just gave up.

1 hour ago, case said:

Disgusting moves.  Going to destroy the weak farm we already have for a tiny percentage chance of making the playoffs.

I’m pretty sure that building the farm is not a priority for Perry at this particular moment. Not even a consideration two days before the trade deadline and after committing to all in for 2023.

1 minute ago, TurboFan said:

I’m pretty sure that building the farm is not a priority for Perry at this particular moment. Not even a consideration two days before the trade deadline and after committing to all in for 2023.

Perry is likely not calling the direction of the moves we are seeing.  Maybe in other organizations, where the owner takes more of a backseat role, the GM/PBO would be permitted to make these kinds of decisions.  I do not think that is the case here, and likely Perry was told to acquire whoever he can to help fuel a playoff run.

I think losing Quero will hurt significantly.  The others - maybe not quite as much.

21 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I thought this was a joke at first.

Grichuk is having a flukey season, probably Coors-induced. His true talent level is 2021-22, about .250/.290/.420...in other words, replacement level. Cron is Cron. Both hack and are basically in the Renfroe/Moustakas/Drury school of hitting. We must have the league record for low average, low walk, some pop guys.

Very well put.  At the same time, Cron and Grichuck are MLB quality batters, which is better than having AAA guys like Cabbage getting the at-bats. 

7 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Well, no, but they need him to agree to re-sign with the team.  They are clearly going "all in" in Ohtani's walk year, despite rather poor odds, likely to show him they will do what it takes to win.  The team has not really been in a winning position ever since he's been here.  

This team badly needs Ohtani to stay.  They could have traded him and gotten a fairly good (but likely not commensurate) prospect return for him, but they did not, and they are going "all in" to the degree possible.  Even if it is a failed playoff run that ensues, if this is what convinces Ohtani to stay, then it is obviously worth whatever prospects they just gave up.

I concur...getting ohtani to stay next year is the "main goal" besides just making a deep playoff run this year !!!

1 minute ago, aznhockeyguy said:

Very well put.  At the same time, Cron and Grichuck are MLB quality batters, which is better than having AAA guys like Cabbage getting the at-bats. 

Right.  Good teams look at improving on the margins, and while these are very mediocre hitters, they are a step above the guys we were going to have to use (Padlo, Cabbage).

We need every win we can get, which means that we need guys to help us win over the next 1-2 weeks while players are (hopefully?) gradually returning.  

1 minute ago, UndertheHalo said:

Albright apparently has a weird long delivery.  He’s not that great.  I’m not going to worry about him.  Madden is good arm.  It is what it is is. I doubt we’re looking at a Patrick Corbin situation here.  The Angels farm situation is probably not dramatically impacted here based on what I’ve read. 

I do think Minasian is really good when it comes to player development and the minor leagues.  While I have questioned trading Quero, I am going to put some faith in Perry in terms of knowing which prospects to trade and which to hold.

In many ways, that is what makes or breaks most GMs/PBOs.  There are some who are rather good at trading quality but holding onto what turns out to be their best prospects, and there are some who are not and end up trading future stars.

Over the upcoming years, we'll be able to assess how good Perry was at making that determination.

1 minute ago, Angels 1961 said:

You do know Ward is out for season? You want Cabbage in CF? Only time will tell if it works out. What I do know last 7 season have not worked out.

Seeing Cabbage in CF was one of the most shocking things I have seen.  They didn't promote him for awhile because they reportedly wanted him to work on his defense, and that was as a 1B.  And now he's playing .. CF?  Yikes.

29 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I think losing Quero will hurt significantly.  The others - maybe not quite as much

Be willing to bet one or two of these arms we’ve dealt away for Moose, Escobar, Giolito, Lopez, Cron, or Grichuk are gonna hurt more than Quero.

There’s still a strong chance Quero’s best/likeliest outcome is like Victor Caratini.